News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Too far down the road
« on: December 29, 2007, 01:16:34 PM »
A club I visited recently is doing a restoration/renovation with an architect who's work is sub standard.  He is a very imposing figure, talks a good game, draws pretty pictures but in my mind the proof is in his work, and the minor work he has performed at this club and others has been awful.  I suggested the club hire a new architect.  The chairman of the greens committee felt they are already "too far down the road" with this person to change.  I disagreed in that the major work, rebuilding the greens and bunkers has not started.

How many courses have changed architects during renovations or restorations?  

RJ_Daley

Re:Too far down the road
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 01:23:51 PM »
I'm just curious Joel as to whether you personally knew of the archies prior work reputation, or have studied his style and approach to renovations.  Did the plans adequately portray what he wanted to do?  

I don't know the answer to examples of changing archies in mid project.  I do know, you pays down yer money and takes yer chances.  Best know in advance what your paying for and try to hold him to it.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 01:27:37 PM »
Joel:

Your first loss is your best loss, why be stuck with substandard work after the architect leaves.

Pay him off properly, end relationship on good terms and move on
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 04:06:57 PM »
Joel:

A lot of people are afraid to revisit a bad decision.

A lot of the times we've been hired as consulting architects is not long after a previous architect made a major gaffe, such as a green that was too steep.  (I recognize that in some instances this is a matter of opinion; but when balls roll back off half the putting surface, it's just too steep.)  Even when they know this is the problem, they ask us to write up a complete master plan, and then they want to address all the other stuff before they fix the gaffe.  

However, I have heard that logic of being "too far down the road" innumberable times.  People just don't like to admit mistakes, especially mistakes that cost $50,000 and a disruption in play.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 04:07:47 PM by Tom_Doak »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back