News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Benham

Thanksgiving, Football, Golf ... and Family
« on: November 21, 2007, 11:29:04 AM »
After making a few airport runs the past few nights, the college kids are all home and the house is again full, which makes my wife very happy.

This extended weekend is one of my favorite times of the year, turkey and all the fixins on Thursday (and turkey sandwiches the rest of the weekend), high school, college and professional football and at least a round or two of golf with my sons.

Even the family tennis gathering on Thursday and having to attend the “Someone Has To Win The Game” Bowl on Saturday (Notre Dame vs. Stanford) doesn’t dampen my outlook.

The golf isn’t anything special, probably a round at the local muni where the course rating is lower then the temperature of the late fall afternoon.   It is the game of golf that allows us to spend 4 or 5 hours together, trying to achieve the same relative goal, winning the bet and making Dad by the beers ...

I will enjoy this weekend, I hope you do too …
"... and I liked the guy ..."

George Pazin

Re:Thanksgiving, Football, Golf ... and Family
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 11:34:42 AM »
Have fun everyone (even Matt :) - welcome back, btw).

Thanks Ran for everything.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Brian Noser

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 11:38:19 AM »
Mike sounds like a good time....

I was to excited and ruined thanksgiving by even thinking I would get out and play some golf. It was 76 yesterday here and it is going to snow tonight. So I will play in the "I am too old but continue to play" touch football game tomorrow morning. and spend lots of time with the family...

Happy Thanksgiving to all..

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 11:40:56 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving back at you, Mr. Benham.  We've got two of our three here this holiday, and a round with my son coming up in half an hour.  

Here's to a fun and safe Thanksgiving for all our GCA.com extended family, and lots of golf in the rest of 2007 and in 2008.

Steve Lang

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 11:50:24 AM »
 8)  My 86 year old dad wants to go out and hit some balls and just watch me play..  what a great game and folks who associate with it.

Everybody enjoy and be safe!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Brad Klein

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 11:53:19 AM »
assuming remnant snow melts by tomorrow, Wintonbury Hills in Bloomfield, Ct. is running a 10 a.m. Thanksgiving Day shotgun special ($35 resident / $50 non). We already have several dozen signed up. See you there. Certainly beats football.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 11:54:06 AM by Brad Klein »

Kirk Gill

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 12:09:00 PM »
Snow today in Denver, so little chance for Thanksgiving weekend golf, alas.

This year, amongst the many things I give thanks for, I must include Ran for making this site available, and to y'all for the amazing posts you provide.

Thankee kindly.

- and a short football-related joke. "What is the difference between Cornhuskers and Corn Flakes? ...............Corn Flakes look good in a bowl."
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 12:48:34 PM by Kirk Gill »
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 12:23:34 PM »
Thanksgiving still works because there are no gifts.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 12:56:13 PM »
having to attend the “Someone Has To Win The Game” Bowl on Saturday (Notre Dame vs. Stanford) doesn’t dampen my outlook.

Enjoy the ND game, Mike, and remember you will be watching the future Heisman trophy winner, Jimmy Clausen, playing QB for the Irish.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 02:24:15 PM »
I thought you Domers had to win a couple of games to have a Heisman candidate?

George Pazin

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 03:14:33 PM »
All ND has to do is field a team and they'll have:

1) a Heisman candidate

and

2) a pre-season Top 25 berth.

If it weren't for that doggone 6 win rule, they'd probably have a guaranteed bowl berth as well.

:)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 03:39:23 PM »
To all you gentlemen (and ladies like Margaret C) from your neighbour up north:

a peaceful and joyous Thanksgiving to you.

If we're here and posting it means we have much, much to be grateful for.

Regards
Peter

Kyle Harris

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 03:51:39 PM »

Meh, they're more worried about losing this weekend and maybe not getting a BCS berth.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 04:05:36 PM »

Stan,  

Volunteers inevitably get hosed by "only player to" Heisman winners.  Horning is the only winner from a losing team (ND goes 2-8 in 1956), stealing the trophy from single-wing tailback Johnny Majors, and some defensive back from Michigan is the only defensive player to win it, beating out Peyton Manning.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 04:11:01 PM »
having to attend the “Someone Has To Win The Game” Bowl on Saturday (Notre Dame vs. Stanford) doesn’t dampen my outlook.

Enjoy the ND game, Mike, and remember you will be watching the future Heisman trophy winner, Jimmy Clausen, playing QB for the Irish.

If this was a fight they ref would stop it.

Bob

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 04:17:12 PM »
A happy, healthy and peaceful Thanksgiving to all and a thank you to Ran for the opportunity to learn and occasionally act like an idiot.

To Pat Mucci and Tommy Naccarato Go STANFORD!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 05:56:09 PM »
Ditto on the Happy Thanksgiving to all, and may your family outings be loads of fun.

Very much agreed with Mike, its all about a little bit of this in the morning:

Then maybe some of this if you are still feeling frisky:

Then its the obligatory bird eating:

After dinner, you can't pass up on the quality family time with some singing:

But if Uncle Jed drank too much and is getting out of hand, then give him the business and send him to his room:

Andy Troeger

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 06:03:06 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving to all...and Go Irish! Golf sounds much better than football these days, but its not supposed to be very warm in ABQ so I may actually have to watch the game for once!

JMorgan

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 06:18:52 PM »
My attempt to sneak in a round with my brother on the way to grandmother's house we go tomorrow failed -- and miserably, I might add.  

Let that be a lesson to you single GCAers ...

Before she gets wind of your schemes, always listen to your wife -- even if you don't have one.

Happy Thanksgiving.

John Keenan

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 09:02:09 AM »
A Happy  Thanksgiving to all here at denizens of the Treehouse aka GCA

Go Cardinal
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 09:55:40 AM »
A most Happy Thanksgiving to each and all. Mike it sounds like you have the best of days planned. You might want to take a TV to the game with you so you can see some football.

David Stamm

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 10:13:58 AM »
After making a few airport runs the past few nights, the college kids are all home and the house is again full, which makes my wife very happy.

This extended weekend is one of my favorite times of the year, turkey and all the fixins on Thursday (and turkey sandwiches the rest of the weekend), high school, college and professional football and at least a round or two of golf with my sons.

Even the family tennis gathering on Thursday and having to attend the “Someone Has To Win The Game” Bowl on Saturday (Notre Dame vs. Stanford) doesn’t dampen my outlook.

The golf isn’t anything special, probably a round at the local muni where the course rating is lower then the temperature of the late fall afternoon.   It is the game of golf that allows us to spend 4 or 5 hours together, trying to achieve the same relative goal, winning the bet and making Dad by the beers ...

I will enjoy this weekend, I hope you do too …

Right back at ya Mike. Enjoy your time with your family. It really is all that matters. Happy Thnaksgiving to all!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2007, 11:20:39 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving to all on Golfclubatlas.  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2007, 11:53:49 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you fellow lunatics.

I'll be seeing a bunch of you next weekend at Cobbs Creek and looking forward to more of our particular brand of insular insanity.  ;D

Norbert P

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2007, 01:57:58 PM »
 Happy Thanksgiving

GOBBLES !!!
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back