News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Planet Golf
« on: November 17, 2007, 10:09:06 AM »
I've just picked up a copy of Darius Oliver's new book, Planet Golf, and must say it's a remarkably impressive production.

I haven't read much of Darius' writings in the book yet, but I'm sure it matches the stunning overall presentation and David Scaletti's amazing photograhy of many of the world's best courses, outside the United States.

Congratulations to Darius and David, and all others involved with creation of Planet Golf.
jeffmingay.com

Norbert P

Re:Planet Golf
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 02:26:17 PM »
 Here's a link at Amazon with  . . . WITH . . . a customer review by some feller named Redanman. (Does anybody know what r'man's superhero suit looks like? )  

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Golf-Definitive-Reference-Courses/dp/0810994038/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195327140&sr=1-1

Darius, for a young man, you sure must have some massive kilometers logged into golf travel.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 02:31:26 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Andrew Balakshin

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 12:48:16 AM »
I always end up going back every once in a while to Golf Digest's "Planet Golf" ranking they did a couple years back. It is a good complement to the Confidential Guide. Some of the rankings are a little off but most of them are pretty good. (The Canada ranking is a little goofy)

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_6_52/ai_75622966

That said, I always seem to like books like this where the author chooses all the couses without a panel, which seems to just mess things up. (Provided that he knows what he is talking ablout)

I will put it on the old Christmas list.  

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 01:06:49 AM »
. . . a customer review by some feller named Redanman. (Does anybody know what r'man's superhero suit looks like? )  

Slag

I think the superhero suit includes shorts, black shoes (perhaps size 15) and short black sports socks.  And an XL polo shirt.  And NO cape.

Oh, and the underpants are worn INSIDE the shorts, unlike the other caped superhero's

James B
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 01:07:59 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 01:16:11 AM »
I saw this in my local Barnes and Noble yesterday, but didn't buy because I assumed that all of the other guides that I own would cover the territory (it was shrinkwrapped so I could not read it). If anyone who has this would care to expand upon what it covers, and doesn't,  I for one, would appreciate it. Thanks.

Brad Klein

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 06:58:24 AM »
Best part is it ignores the U.S. and gives equal weight to the rest of the world. Great stuff on France, Japan, South Africa and Australia, and the text is helpful without being hole-by-hole.

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 10:40:13 AM »
 8)  i guess the USA might as well be on a different planet.. since it has to be used as a reference point

i wonder how many folks buying by mail order or such will return it when they see the by-line or treasure it for the coffee table collection?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Paul_Turner

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 10:47:51 AM »
It's a lovely book. It would have been even better without the gazzette though, way too many holes chosen!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 10:53:31 AM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 11:13:05 AM »
This book isn't cheap but if we all ante $.50 we could communally gift one to John Kavanaugh.

Brad Klein

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 11:48:43 AM »
for $195 (13 cents apiece x 1,500) we could buy him David Cannon's "Golf Courses: Fairways of the World," which has the consderable advantage (to JK) of having no text at all to read, just pretty pictures.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 11:49:12 AM by Brad Klein »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back