News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Ralston

Re:Drop-shot par-3s - best examples. 6th at NGLA not included.
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2007, 07:46:11 AM »
#13 At Eagle Ridge drops 240ft. Of course, at 325yd it is a par-4, but most of you can reach it from the tee easily, I estimate 60-75yd added for the drop, wind not withstanding. Sensational hole.

Doug

Always love to quote myself.  ;)

Here are a few [not that great, but gives you perhaps some idea] pix of my favorite, including the aforementioned #13 [easily recognized].

http://parks.ky.gov/golftrail/18hole/yl/gallery/

Click on the smaller to enlarge.

Doug
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 07:47:07 AM by Doug Ralston »

Tom Roewer

« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2007, 11:30:14 AM »
Raynor's Redan , #11 Mountain Lake is surely 40 feet of drop.  Must be the steepest (down) REDAN.  Measures 143165188 yds for the men's tees.

Sean_A

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2007, 12:16:36 PM »
James

Was this photo taken forward of the tee?  I recall the drop being sharper and a bit of blindness - meaning I don't think all the area in the foreground is visible from the tee.  

Thanks for posting!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

James Bennett

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2007, 08:26:09 PM »
James

Was this photo taken forward of the tee?  I recall the drop being sharper and a bit of blindness - meaning I don't think all the area in the foreground is visible from the tee.  

Thanks for posting!

Ciao

quite possibly.  Given your proximity to the green, I expect I am half-way down the hill taking the photo.  #15 is a genuinely lovely hole.

PS  I had forgotten about the bloke who wandered and watched a couple of holes (the other in the photo).  Interesting place Painswick, not a care in the world for those who play there.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2007, 09:21:54 PM »
The 5th at Green Brook in N Caldwell, NJ

TEPaul,

Lehigh's downhill hole is a good one, but, I think when those type of holes get over 180 yards they cease being drop-shot holes in the sense that you are no longer faced with a finesse shot.

I'd consider # 14 at PV a drop shot from the front and perhaps the middle tees, but not from the new back tee.

Hitting 2-irons or fairway woods doesn't fit my concept of a drop shot hole.

Marc Haring

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2007, 02:47:52 AM »

Has anyone played this one? It's near me in the south of England. That green on the right is for when the main one gets worn out with ball marks.
It's a scary little hole; hit a little wedge and wait for about 20 seconds to see what happens.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 04:23:22 AM by Marc Haring »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2007, 06:01:23 AM »
Marc,

That might be the Manor House at Castle Combe, the 17th, I think.  I was a member there for a year or two in the early '90s.  A Peter Allis/Clive Clark design.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Marc Haring

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2007, 06:46:15 AM »
You've got it Mark.

Not a bad little course really, especially now they have rebuilt a couple of those silly little greens.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2007, 07:18:27 AM »
You've got it Mark.

Not a bad little course really, especially now they have rebuilt a couple of those silly little greens.

I always enjoyed playing there.  It was one of a string of Allis/Clark courses whose owners went bust in the late '80s.  As a result country membership was available cheaply and I used to be able to bomb down the A4 in 90 minutes for a game.  I don't remember it in huge detail but remember a lot of mounding on the 1st which I'd probably object to now, a very good par 5 early in the round (3rd/4th perhaps?) and a couple of holes with lots of sand (a long par 3 around the turn and a par 4 with a huge green front bunker).  

Very pretty setting but quite hard walking, I recall.  I'd be very interested to visit it again someday and see how it has changed.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2007, 08:09:32 PM »
The 16th at Carne has a pretty steep dro as well as the 7th at Ballyliffen.  Both can be real tough with a crosswind.

Brendan

Doug Wright

« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2007, 08:50:08 PM »
The 3rd at Ventana Canyon Mountain course comes to mind.
There's a fun par 3 at little known Holiday Valley
in Ellicottville, NY., which is a ski area masquerading as a golf course in the summer--
220 yards with a 100 yard drop down a slalom run.  
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Sam Morrow

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2007, 10:14:50 PM »
I feel left out because of my Texas Gulf Coast upbringing but I am fortunate to have played a few great drop shot par 3's. 7 and 11 at Castle Pines come to mind as do 8 and 17 at Lakota Canyons. I apologize but I can't remember the holes number but there is a great drop shot par 3 at Colovista south of Austin as well as the third at Crimson Creek Golf Club in El Reno, outside Oklahoma City.

Justin Gale

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2007, 11:56:26 PM »
Surely the 7th at Pebble is one of the best. I also enjoyed the 3rd at Woburn (Dukes) - the green is wickedly tricky.

One of the best examples in Aust. is 16th at Araluen in WA and the Old 15th at my home course in Wollongong.

Ahh yes, the 15th at Wollongong. Right on the beach, so it can play anything between a half wedge and a 3 iron depending on wind.

Another NSW example worth mentioning is the 11th at Macquarie Links. 170m from the plates, with about a 30m drop to a green surrounded by trouble

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2007, 03:53:17 PM »
This is the 13th hole at Atlanta Country Club in Marietta, Georgia.  Willard Byrd designed the hole originally.  Jack Nicklaus renovated it substantially in the 1980s.  Michael Riley added the bunkers recently.

The creek is a tributary that feeds into Sope Creek (named for a Cherokee chief).  A ruin of a Confederate paper mill can be seen through the trees during the winter.

Remarkably enough, a friend of mine made a hole-in-one when his ball deflected off the covered bridge.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2007, 04:00:42 PM »
Carlyle, that hole looks wonderful!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Foley

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2007, 05:14:47 PM »
How about Doug Carrick's #6 @ Greywolf in Western Canada.

It is pretty spectacular looking, though not sure how much a drop shot it actually is. Actually kind of suprised I don't think we've ever discussed this hole here.

Integrity in the moment of choice

Peter Zarlengo

« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2007, 05:40:04 PM »
The best I've seen (and I've seen plenty in the mountains) is the 17th at Colorado Golf Club. The green is sited on a natural peninsula formed by the confluence of two arroyos and set on a diagonal from front right to back left.  Plenty of bail out room right, but bring your A game if you want to attack the pin.

The thing I like most about it is it doesnt get in your face like some of the mountain drop shots I've seen. No water falls, fence posts, retaining walls, ect.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2007, 08:04:11 PM »
This one is pretty unique!

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David Stamm

« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2007, 11:36:55 PM »
How about Doug Carrick's #6 @ Greywolf in Western Canada.

It is pretty spectacular looking, though not sure how much a drop shot it actually is. Actually kind of suprised I don't think we've ever discussed this hole here.

Wow John! This sure looks like an ode to the original Biarritz, France!

I always thought this was cool looking.....

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

James Bennett

« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2007, 05:42:13 AM »
James

Thanks for posting!

Ciao

Sean

I found an earlier photo in the round, from the tee (I expect)

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2007, 07:54:14 AM »
Bill Shamleffer, if you see this, doesn't Westwood have a real short drop shot par 3?  

Bart Bradley

« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2007, 09:52:01 AM »
Ok so this one was already mentioned, but here is the photo I took in summer 06 -- I think this is the winner.

Banff Springs --

Zack Kelly

« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2007, 10:02:14 AM »
Fairways & Greens
Zack Quinn Kelly

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back