News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

Calling all Supers
« on: September 28, 2007, 09:59:52 AM »
I just booked at tee time for Arcadia Bluffs for October 6th.  The guy on the phone indicated that they airated (sp?) the greens on the 24th.

What is the recovery time for this and what do you anticipate the condition of the greens will be just under 2 weeks later?

Thanks
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jim Franklin

Re:Calling all Supers
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 10:53:50 AM »
Depends on the size of the aereation hole and if they get any rain. I played Rio Secco right after an aereation and the greens were fine. I played our West course after an aereation and the greens were as unplayable as I have ever seen. But we still hosted our toonamint ???.
Mr Hurricane

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 10:56:30 AM »
JC,

I am not a super, and can't comment on northern recovery rates.  Your question got me to wondering though, since I often have to defend supers for "unnecessarily punching holes in the #@@%$ greens" about just how badly most of us feel it impacts putting quality?

While putting just a few days after aerification can be problematical, usually, they fill the holes with sand and the re-smoothing process begins quickly.  Frankly, I can't ever recall a substantial number of missed putts I could blame on aerification holes, or even come close to blaming them.

Is this a question of perception over reality?  Aesthetics over golf?

If it were a course I wanted to play, I wouldn't let aerified greens stop me for one second, but that's the gca fan in me, since I am not a competitive golfer.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 11:54:01 AM »
Weather conditions are the main factor which controls the recovery rate. Weather can obviously vary, so to answer the question how long will recovery take is like asking the question will it rain on such a such day. 24th sept - oct 6th rough guess is they 'probably' would have recovered a fair bit but it would be unlikely they would be near their best.
I agree Jeff, I can enjoy/ see past a course without great greens. I played Waterwood nr Houston when the greens were real bad, but underneath was a great course.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 01:19:34 PM »
JC,
  One of my best friends is one of the assistants there and the other assistant is a poster on this site. In talking with him this week, I do know that they used a graden on their grrens along with aerifying them. The exact tine size excapes me. He commented that the aerification went well. I can get exact details when I have them or maybe they will chime in and post. The weather will dictate the healing time. Warmer days with mild nights will keep the soil temps high and quicken the healing time.The greens SHOULD be relatively healed over, though probabley wont be perfect, nor should they be. Those greens need their rest too. It will give you a real chance to see the quality of architecture and you will see why it's the best public course in Michigan.

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC  
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Randy Thompson

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 04:00:41 PM »
On a scale of one to ten these greens should be 8 to 9 two weeks following aerification

Pat Brockwell

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 07:25:24 PM »
I've talked to several players who, like me, make alot of putts on recently airified greens.  I think the bumps correct for my stroke, and I have to hit the ball a bit firmer. ;D Just show up and play, if you're any good you know the real challenge is to have fun every time. Read Brad Klein's quote at the bottom of my post.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back