News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re:Internet Architects
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2007, 11:54:54 AM »
The world is so full of talented and smart people, who could opine, perform or drive taste, in both music and something like GCA, that it may be arrogant of us to believe that there are too many cyberexperts in anything.  

Hear, hear!

Please people...We need filters for the crap as there is only a finite amount of time to enjoy what is great.  

If that's your goal, John, perhaps you should log off now and go enjoy it!

I am almost ashamed to admit this but I am at work now accumulating a finite amount of cash based on an even smaller amount of output.  My cash imput vs work output ratio today defies the laws of physics.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 11:56:29 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2007, 12:03:35 PM »
Any of you read Andrew Keen's The Cult of the Amateur:  How Today's Internet is Killing Our Culture?  I'm in the middle of it now, but it seems to hit right where Misters Liddy and Kavanaugh are pointing.  Keen's view is that with today's ease of publishing, recording, filming,
we need editors/critics/filters to sort through the mountain of information.  

Until we come out with software and equipment that can turnkey a golf course from your home office while in pajamas, I think the gcas are safe.

There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

Brian Phillips

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2007, 12:14:08 PM »
Internet architects.  There are a growing number of Internet golf course architecture experts with no practical experience. I am sure this is happening in many other professions. Is there a term for this yet?
Tim,

What do you mean by Internet Architects....?  I am a little lost.  

Nice job on the Dukes by the way...

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

RJ_Daley

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2007, 01:37:08 PM »
Eric, I must say that the book sounds very interesting and worth consideration of such an opinion by Mr. Keen.  But whose filters will we use?  The government's, an elete self proclaimed intelligensia, Mr. Kavanaugh's, or a machine's artificial culling mechanism?  

I'd rather leave the editing of what is B.S. and what is valuable to trial and error, sifting and winnowing, if you know what I mean.  

But, I agree with the starting point that there is a mountain of info on just about anything out there, and much of it is steaming piles of crap.  At some point, many of us just get tired of wading through it all...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2007, 03:26:44 PM »
TimLiddy1;

Oddly, I think I can answer as to the effect of us 'GCA Art Critics'.

I am on a couple of other golf discussion websites. On those, GCA has NOT been a large priority. They tend to tell golf adventure anecdotes, and talk about equipment or about PGA Tour golf.

Those few of us who obsess on golf GCA and quality issues have to 'yell to be heard'. We are! I swear GCA is MUCH more discussed on these sites than in the past.

The result? I truly believe many of my own 'converts' now play more good quality courses, give less money to 'daily fee mills', and therefor encourage in a very capitalistic way, the development of quality GCA.

Many of my friends now read this very website, and discuss the ideas. That cannot be bad.

Doug

PS: TimLiddy; I was serious in another thread when I said you deserve to take a bow. I am now only 4 courses into your repitory, but they have been extremely pleasing. More will follow.

I wish you might consider the KY State Park contract, if it is not already determined [I have not talked to those folks in a while]. I would love a good quality 'Liddy' in Kentucky, and I know the State has paid extremely well for Ault and others.

Just a thought, ignore at will.

DR

George Pazin

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2007, 03:33:16 PM »
Eric, I must say that the book sounds very interesting and worth consideration of such an opinion by Mr. Keen.  But whose filters will we use?  The government's, an elete self proclaimed intelligensia, Mr. Kavanaugh's, or a machine's artificial culling mechanism?  

I'd rather leave the editing of what is B.S. and what is valuable to trial and error, sifting and winnowing, if you know what I mean.

Extremely well said.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike_Young

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2007, 10:02:48 PM »
I am more bothered by the status given to people who get hard cover books published in the guise of being an expert on golf architecture.  

John,
These will be viewed as an accurate recording of history in another 50 years.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2007, 12:10:36 AM »
Internet architects.  There are a growing number of Internet golf course architecture experts with no practical experience. I am sure this is happening in many other professions. Is there a term for this yet?

Tim,

You missed a barn burner thread on this a month ago.....As to terms, "charlaton" comes to mind. ;D  And, I'm not talking about RTJII's chief associate Bruce Charlton, either!

As I like to say:

Old Criteria for being selected as gca: Has written five spec books

New Criteria: Has written one architecture history book!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike_Young

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2007, 12:18:45 AM »
Jeff,
How many pages that book got to have?

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2007, 01:10:36 AM »
The Keen book is interesting.  I don't think other arts necessarily relate directly to gca, and I  haven't agreed with all that Keen has put forth.  But one of his points is that we're in a time when amateur connotes authenticity and I do think this perception is relevant to Tim's original question.

There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

Ian Andrew

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2007, 12:40:48 PM »
II think the issue here is there are some of people who participate on the site lay claim to a great role than they actually play. People in the industry know who they are, but the vast majority doesn’t. Therefore, we get the rise of the internet legend.

Those who have earned their place find it frustrating and in moments of annoyance want to call them out - but can't - since they in turn would be called at least over-competitive or worse and a-hole.

In this new spirit of honesty - Tom, Jeff, Forrest, etc. my printing is neat and I'm good at folding plans - does any of you need some drafting work done? ;)

(this was meant as humor - but I appreciate all offers to draft!)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 11:13:12 PM by Ian Andrew »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2007, 08:46:11 PM »

TEPaul

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2007, 09:28:50 PM »
"But one of his points is that we're in a time when amateur connotes authenticity and I do think this perception is relevant to Tim's original question.

Eric:

Keen's book sounds like an interesting one and I'm going to look for it.

In the meantime, could you expand on what you think he means by suggesting that "amateur" connotes authenticity?

Why would that be? Do you think Keen feels people have become jaded about the concept of "professionalism" or that so-called "professionals", generally speaking, have become jaded for some reason?

I think Tim Liddy's question is a most interesting one, and I suppose I have a lot of diverse opinions about it.

My first impression is that some of these architects on here secretly want to just wholesale cast aspersions on some of the opinions of some of the so-called "Internet Architects" on here who basically are not in the business. I think they secretly want to do that but they just aren't too sure how.

If that's the case, and I sense if they really want to be honest, it is, then I suggest they just go ahead and cast some aspersions and furthermore be very detailed about it.  ;)

My personal opinion on this question of Tim's is that on the practical side of golf course architecture, there are very few so-called "Internet Architects" on here, in fact probably none, who can hold a candle to the professional architects. The reasons for that should be patently obvious to most contributors and lurkers on here.

However, on the conceptual side of architecture, I feel there are probably a ton of so-called "Internet Architects" on here who could not only hold a candle to many of the professionals, they could, in fact, probably blow them away in some cases.

I think this has become not just a mild concern but a real concern to professional architects. I don't think they're concerned about this only in a philosophical sense or in some vacuum---I think they're concerned that potential clients and such, even if just a few of them at this point, are beginning to talk to "Internet Architects" or at least consider what some of them say.

Of course, I expect most all the professional architects on here to deny everything I just said.

I don't think they should deny it---I think they should face it and discuss it on here because I feel they think it's true albeit something they'd prefer not to admit or discuss.

And if you in the profession want me to back this up historically, I'd be more than happy to this way:

How in the Hell do you professional architects explain the likes of Herbert Leeds, W.C Fownes. C.B Macdonald, Hugh Wilson, George Crump, George Thomas etc, etc----amateurs all, and probably no different back then than some of the so-called "Internet Architects" on here today? I know how you explain it---you don't---you just constantly and conveniently avoid the subject.

Nevertheless, it's pretty interesting now and historically that those just named so-called amateurs STILL have courses that are considered to be some of the best and best architecture in the world.    ???

You don't try to explain them for the simple reason you can't explain them and continue to maintain the belief that ONLY professional architects have conceptual talent.  ;)

Am I dedicatedly trying to piss off the professional architect contingent on here?

Not really, I'd just like them to be more honest, perhaps more blunt about what they really feel than it seems they have been heretofore ON HERE.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 09:43:06 PM by TEPaul »

Mike_Young

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2007, 10:26:38 PM »
OK Tom.....
Here goes....I think anyone can do anything they wish if they want it bad enough.  I respect that.  I think that  the internet architects on here dont know that they don't know what the guys doing it for a living know.  And this is not in a conceptual view but a "getting it in the ground" view.  All of those old guys you named that are "no different" from the internet archies...well those courses evolved with good clubs and good supts with budgets....
I honestly do't worry about these guys getting business from me....I am amzed that some on here expect to be taken seriously by some reputable clubs....
I honestly don't think there is a single internet archie on here that can build the same course as the professional on the same piece of land with all thing being equal within 30% of professional.  What really intrigues me is some of the websites of these internet archies and the bullshit they spout on them and on this website....
AND there are some very bad professional architects IMHO and what do they lack? Passion for the business.  I can honestly say the internet archies seem to have many professional beat on the passion .
Is this honest enough?
Hey...Who got the latest Flynn work?
Take care,
Mike

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 10:30:48 PM by Mike_Young »

TEPaul

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2007, 10:43:18 PM »
MikeY:

Yes, that is honest enough, and I'd like to hear more of that from you either specifially or generally at your convenience. Be honest, it felt good to write that post just above, didn't it.  ;)

I've got to hit the sack, but tomorrow I do want to answer some of the things you said in that post.

There's a whole lot of dynamics involved in this post of Tim Liddy's and I'm glad he made it.

I know where you're coming from because I know you. I agree with you on a lot of what you say, particularly on the practical side---eg the construction side etc.

But the thing that I'm going to keep calling you and the professionals out on is it seems like some of you are trying to make this out like only the professionals know much of anything about golf course architecture from ALL sides.

I just don't believe that and I doubt you or any of the other professionals on here do either.

Frankly, if most or all of you did believe that, then someone should ask what any of you are doing on here anyway.  ;)

I'll guarantee you one thing---you professionals on here are most certainly not JUST talkng to each other and you never have.

Why is that?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 10:45:02 PM by TEPaul »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2007, 10:47:03 PM »
Because they are good at returning phone calls! ;)

Mike_Young

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2007, 11:03:22 PM »
"But the thing that I'm going to keep calling you and the professionals out on is it seems like some of you are trying to make this out like only the professionals know much of anything about golf course architecture from ALL sides."

TP,
You will never say that I know more on all sides than some on here...no way....I will never spend the time to know where some guy like Ross spent the night or who he porked while he was there.  AND as a realist I know that he was very basic (good routings, simple greens) and nothing wrong with that....AND as a REALIST I know he did not put the time into his projects that most professionals do today....the internet archies seem to be more IDEALIST...

TN,
Got to keep returning thse phone calls.
Mike

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2007, 01:02:40 AM »
EXACTLY!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2007, 08:50:49 AM »
"However, on the conceptual side of architecture, I feel there are probably a ton of so-called "Internet Architects" on here who could not only hold a candle to many of the professionals, they could, in fact, probably blow them away in some cases.

I think this has become not just a mild concern but a real concern to professional architects. I don't think they're concerned about this only in a philosophical sense or in some vacuum ..."

Tom P:  I think you misunderstand our protests.  

I don't think there is an architect who posts here who would insist they are better at "conceptual" architecture than many others on the forum or outside.  I can't even remember the last time any of the professionals here even discussed strategy at length.  We sure don't claim to have a monopoly on ideas.

What bugs me (and, I think, other architects) is the idea that others think they are better at strategy than us, and that they think we should kiss their feet and hold their hands and steer THEM through the process because they are better at it.  This is the way many professional golfers get into the business, and they get skewered by golf writers and board members for believing it; and yet those same golf writers fancy themselves as conceptual masters who should be paid to consult on designs without having spent the time to learn how it's done.

What we've said (many, many times) is that conceptual architecture is only 10% of the picture, and that 10% isn't really going to work well in the field anyway unless somebody understands the other 90%.  And what we haven't said, but all believe, is that we might be better than you think at conceptual architecture ourselves, if our days weren't so full of phone calls and clients and plans and contracts and marketing and accounting and all the things you've got to do to run a business and design golf courses for a living.

Now, if we were just going to design one golf course in the next couple of years, with no time pressures and with a client who didn't care that time = money, you might be just as good at it as me.  (Or you might not.)  That's what George Thomas and Hugh Wilson and George Crump did, and we all revere their work.  But not everyone posting here is another George Thomas.

There are lots of kids in high school today who are great basketball players when they're on the court by themselves.  Some of them think they're so good that they are ready for the NBA.  The number who have succeeded is quite small.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2007, 08:58:25 AM »
Tom- I have the same 'bug' re the pro's that automatically think they can design golf courses. I was once heard Gary Player say "the difference is I can go out there and hit a 3 iron straight at it... many architects cant do that" well I reckon I can draw a straighter line the Gary P can hit that 3 iron.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

TEPaul

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2007, 09:43:14 AM »
"....AND as a REALIST I know he did not put the time into his projects that most professionals do today....the internet archies seem to be more IDEALIST..."

MikeY:

Just like realism, there's nothing at all wrong with idealism, in my opinion, particularly on the "concept" side of golf architecture.

JMorgan

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2007, 10:45:21 AM »
Mike and others,

I'll give you an analogous situation that I used to b- about to my mentors in school.  It's called pop psychology (or in it's more "erudite" form, "neurophilosophy"); one of the oldest forms, for example, is the whole "channel your left brain/right brain" bs.  

Say as a scientist you come up with the flawless design for the perfect experiment that teases out a structure in the brain that is responsible for a particular function or group of functions.  It takes you four years of tedious data collection, unexpected setbacks, modifications to your methodology, and so on, all-nighters writing and rewriting results and discuss, adding new references, etc.  

Meanwhile, a guy in the philosophy department at M.I.T. or at Berkeley (actual people) is combing the science libraries for articles, including some you have written, and publishes a book on consciousness in which he claims to know how to explain capital C Consciousness.  

The book is an instant best-seller, it's given accolades in the NYTimes Book Review, on NPR; the author, now a Genuine Genius, hits the talk show circuit... and so on, makes millions from bored housewives and disenchanted 22-year old intellectuals across the country.  Thing is, the guy doesn't have any ideas that 95% of the applied neuroscience researchers haven't thought of and debated before.  They just don't exactly have the time to sit around and write a book or they'd lose their funding; but at least they've seen the problems firsthand.  They'd also lose a lot of respect from their colleagues if they claimed to know how to explain consciousness, the holy grail and end-all/be-all of being human.

In short, welcome to America, Land of the Entrepreneur or Confidence Man, depending on your viewpoint.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back