News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

If you could only choose one green to get toasted on...
« on: September 22, 2007, 12:51:11 AM »
.....what green would you choose?

I'd highly recommend #7 at Pebble, but I'm sure security is more of a concern than in my earlier days.

Night mist, big moon, big wind or dead still helps create a setting for me....how about you? Where would you like to be....alone or with company.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 12:57:04 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mike Wagner

Re:If you could only choose one green to get toasted on...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 12:55:23 AM »
#16 - Cypress

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 01:44:30 AM »
I will spare everyone more of my nauseating pining for the Southampton Windmill . . . . . it gets a bit much, even for me,

Any selection in the Monterey area adds nothing new - even though the rocks below the 18th green at Pebble invoke an instantaneous recollection of a bottle of bubbly swagged from Club XVIIII, clad in a tuxedo with a leggy young redhead in a silk dress . . . . . . circa . . . . well, decades beyond the statute of limitations anyway.

No, I am going to deviate and pull up a comfy lawn chair at the Biarritz hole at Fishers Island, with an assortment of GCA posters, making bets as each group goes by.

But maybe, just maybe that snifter of tequila is best enjoyed on the hillside above the 18th at Olympic . . . . .

"There's no place like home, there's no place like home . . . . "

"And Toto too? Yes, and Toto Too."

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 01:45:38 AM by Gib Papazian »

ed_getka

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 03:17:28 AM »
#17 Prairie Dunes, but only after I have gotten on that green in regulation for the first time. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

John Kirk

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 10:40:58 AM »
I'll assume when you say "toasted", you must mean sparking up a big fatty, along with your beer.  Although my drinking and smoking days are over, I'm going to say that the occasion should come early in the round, so that the effects can be enjoyed during the round.

For grins, we'll say the 2nd green at Stone Eagle.

JMorgan

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 10:48:30 AM »
That would have to be #17 Lincoln Park, Paul.   Sun sinking into the Pacific, cypresses silhouetted against the burning sky, Golden Gate radiant in the background, and a case of Caymus '94 Reserve killing the poa annua softly at my feet (...plus I have one of those :-X young romance stories associated with the cliffs nearby which would take at least a case of something good to get out of me).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 10:49:25 AM by JMorgan »

PGertner

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 11:52:49 AM »
Pine Valley's 2nd or 13th.....

decisions, decisions.....

JSlonis

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 12:43:59 PM »
I'm not sure what your definition of toasted is, but the choices of #7 Pebble or #16 Cypress Point could have life ending results with too much wandering or a slight misstep. ;)

paul cowley

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 01:48:05 PM »
Toasted is an artificially induced state of being, usually created by ingesting a substance, or substances, that possess enhancement qualities......my definition anyway.

Alcohol and good company are what do it for me.....the days of doing a half a blotter and watching things real and not so real dance in front of me are just a receding memory...fortunately.
I can't believe I had to supply a definition....maybe thats good. ;)

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 02:16:31 PM »
Toasted is an artificially induced state of being, usually created by ingesting a substance, or substances, that possess enhancement qualities......my definition anyway.

Alcohol and good company are what do it for me.....the days of doing a half a blotter and watching things real and not so real dance in front of me are just a receding memory...fortunately.
I can't believe I had to supply a definition....maybe thats good. ;)

By that definition it leaves out #7 at Pebble and #16 at Cypress. How about #9 at Myopia Hunt Club, worst that can happen to you is fall into the bunkers and hulluccinate in the sand ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 02:29:04 PM »
First off, Getka is not allowed to respond to this post as he is one of those annoying tea totalers who smugly look down on those of us with a history of getting totaled on the tee.

Getka, you admitted - in my kitchen - to a few prior indiscretions with fermented grapes; but having been dry as an Open fairway for years automatically disqualifies you from inclusion on the is thread, so leave immediately or I will be forced to slip some Everclear in your next Shirley Temple.

Actually, in truth, my Foster Brooks days are long past - and although I could still roll a doobie with admirable dexterity, that damned Stair Master took care of that habit years ago . . . . . But I refuse to cut the cord completely, though chasing around a house full of kids has made the wine cabinet the least visited spot in the house.

There is no point in extrapolating on the Pebble Beach Champagne story except to admit I married the leggy redhead in question 25 years later . . . . . maybe that was the hook and it just took two and a half decades to reel me in . . . . . .

Speaking of, I would like to amend my previous responses and select the 18th at Kapalua Plantation. The only condition is that the chair I pull up is at the corner table of the Plantation House, above the approach area of the fairway.

For those who have been there, the putting surface is contoured as a  screaming Redan; the fun is watching all the tourists hit what they believe is a perfect shot, only to watch it wander far away from the pin.

As a matter of fact, I think the Redhead and I have done that at least twenty times. . . . .  

P.S. I had to Google the phrase "tea totaler" as I had no idea how it was spelled . . . . . never gave the term any thought before.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 03:04:51 PM by Gib Papazian »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 05:47:15 PM »
Cowleysama,
I have to think the Eden (#11) at St Andrews, Scotland would be a pretty nice candidate. It's nicely sloped to create a 'stadium' view of the auld toun and is far enough away from civilisation that approaching Panda-cars would be easily spotted.

Proximity to the Tornadoes (and now Typhoons) of Leuchars might also add that surreal element of visions of big, silver birds in the sky. The roaring and flashes of afterburners in the night could easily be construed as Auld Nick's disapproving tones.

Additionally, there's a couple of VERY deep sandy holes (I believe you architects call them 'Bonkers' or similar? - WELL-named!) which are perfect for those other extra-curricular activities which the fine and fair students of the toun are world-renowned.

Rather scarily too close to the truth....

;)
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 07:58:45 PM »
Some of these recent threads of yours, Paul, sure sound to me like you're thinkin' on getting married and throwin' a big blowout somewhere.

But if not why don't I just bring a bottle down to Newark and we can hang out at sunset on the back of the 6th green. The sterwardess only lives about two miles down the road, you know?

She's a real thinker but a talker too so we should see if a beautiful sunset from that vantage can shut her up for a moment and get her thinking about the cosmos.

Actually belay all that. I forgot, she's a G5 sterwardess and obviously has plenty of chance to ponder the sky.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 07:59:46 PM by TEPaul »

igrowgrass

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 01:50:42 PM »
#14 Green at Maidstone and a fine bottle of scotch.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 01:51:00 PM by Sean Reehoorn »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 01:54:30 PM »
11 at Arcadia Bluffs.  I want to get engaged there.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 02:14:13 PM »
John Morrissett once told me he proposed to his wife on the 17th tee at NGLA . . . . . . that might be the last word on the subject.

ed_getka

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
First off, Getka is not allowed to respond to this post as he is one of those annoying tea totalers who smugly look down on those of us with a history of getting totaled on the tee.

Getka, you admitted - in my kitchen - to a few prior indiscretions with fermented grapes; but having been dry as an Open fairway for years automatically disqualifies you from inclusion on the is thread, so leave immediately or I will be forced to slip some Everclear in your next Shirley Temple.

Actually, in truth, my Foster Brooks days are long past - and although I could still roll a doobie with admirable dexterity, that damned Stair Master took care of that habit years ago . . . . . But I refuse to cut the cord completely, though chasing around a house full of kids has made the wine cabinet the least visited spot in the house.

There is no point in extrapolating on the Pebble Beach Champagne story except to admit I married the leggy redhead in question 25 years later . . . . . maybe that was the hook and it just took two and a half decades to reel me in . . . . . .

Speaking of, I would like to amend my previous responses and select the 18th at Kapalua Plantation. The only condition is that the chair I pull up is at the corner table of the Plantation House, above the approach area of the fairway.

For those who have been there, the putting surface is contoured as a  screaming Redan; the fun is watching all the tourists hit what they believe is a perfect shot, only to watch it wander far away from the pin.

As a matter of fact, I think the Redhead and I have done that at least twenty times. . . . .  

P.S. I had to Google the phrase "tea totaler" as I had no idea how it was spelled . . . . . never gave the term any thought before.  ;D

Gib,
    You fail to mention I tried Todd's wine at dinner. :) If I hit that infernal green on #17 at Prairie Dunes, I will be happy to have a drink. ;D No smugness involved, just not my thing.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 05:30:02 PM »
Ed,

Alright, I shall amend my comments given that "smug" does not fit any part of your persona . . . . . However, given that your tea totaling is one of choice and certainly not necessity, I will feel not a twinge of guilt nor remorse in spiking your virgin daiquiri the next time we meet.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 07:54:29 PM by Gib Papazian »

paul cowley

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 06:09:58 PM »
11 at Arcadia Bluffs.  I want to get engaged there.

I'll toast to that....you got a woman in mind or is this just a conceptual feeling you have for the site? :)

OT...we need your thoughts down our way about Ricefields, as you seem to be the resident Stranz aficionado, and its almost grassed.
But don't let a visit hold up your engagement though......I'm sure Arcadia is site enough. ;)

ed_getka

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 07:41:41 PM »
Gib,
    I look forward to the occasion. :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 07:41:56 PM by ed_getka »

JC Jones

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 09:35:01 PM »
I'm not sure what your definition of toasted is, but the choices of #7 Pebble or #16 Cypress Point could have life ending results with too much wandering or a slight misstep. ;)

I guess this eliminates several greens at the bandon resort that I would have chosen
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back