News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Golf - From a Beginner's Point of View
« on: September 18, 2007, 03:23:32 PM »
A highly amusing article from a writer who took up golf as part of her "human guinea pig" series.

http://www.slate.com/id/2173969/

Some highlights:

"During my brief immersion in the world of golf, I determined that gloom is an essential golf component, as befitting a game that started on the moody moors of Scotland."

"3 million Americans pick up clubs for the first time each year, and an equal number put them down. Two million quit outright, half a million go on hiatus, and the rest die! (Maybe Americans' life expectancy would increase if the CDC stopped investigating salmonella outbreaks and started shutting down golf courses.)"

"While playing a round, golfers spend only about 1 percent of their time hitting the ball, reports the New York Times. For the rest, writes the paper's Damon Hack, they are "churning and burning" as they "think about what might happen." He tells of one pro who had to give up the game because, as a friend explains, "he's kind of seen too many bad things to recover from."

Good thing my first time was bit more gentle... :)

Bob_Huntley

Re:Golf - From a Beginner's Point of View
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 05:34:22 PM »
A highly amusing article from a writer who took up golf as part of her "human guinea pig" series.

http://www.slate.com/id/2173969/

Some highlights:

"During my brief immersion in the world of golf, I determined that gloom is an essential golf component, as befitting a game that started on the moody moors of Scotland."

Moody moors of Scotland indeed, the writer should be drummed out of the regiment. It started on the links laddie, or should that be lady?

Bob

Doug Wright

Re:Golf - From a Beginner's Point of View
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 06:45:51 PM »
From the end of this dumb article:

"Finally, the round came to an end. Yes, I was a "miserable wretch," but as I left the course, I found myself flooded with a feeling of relief and gratitude: I had played my first round of golf, and I had survived. I will never risk it again."

All I can say in response to the last sentence is, "That's a very good thing."
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back