News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JR Potts

The Great Architect in the Sky
« on: August 24, 2007, 10:32:07 AM »
With the recent onslaught of storms pounding Chicago, I couldn't help but think of instances where mother nature has dramatically changed the playabilty of a hole...both for better or for worse.

Anyone have any examples?

Joe Hancock

Re:The Great Architect in the Sky
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 10:38:52 AM »
Rustic Canyon.....

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 10:48:43 AM »
Tilly, in writing about the building of Shawnee wrote:

“Mr. A.W. Tillinghast [writing about himself in the third person as he often did], who for the past year has devoted most of his time to the work on the new course of the Shawnee Country Club, tells of a remarkable happening there which illustrates the very remarkable quality of the soil so far inland. Eleven of the holes are located on the Island of Shawna. Late last fall a number of guarding pits were dug about the greens, located at one end of the island. Water came on before sand could be dug for them. When the ice cleared from the river this spring, Mr. Tillinghast visited the island to find out how it had wintered. Greatly to his amazement he found all his new pits filled with fine white sand. Nature had been working for him. The winter winds had blown the sand into the pits to a depth of two feet.”

Of the greatest irony then is how severe storms has done damage in the millions of dollars in the last few years to both the golf course and the Inn.

Yet maybe the man upstairs had simply been sending a message. Tilly's original 18 holes have all but been replaced by what became 27. Now the owners are giving strong consideration to rebuilding and restoring it to 18 holes only... the 18 that Tilly designed...

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 11:06:18 AM »
Joe, You could add many SoCal courses to that list:

Valley Club of Montecito
THE LA Country Club
Riviera
Oakmont (Glendale)
Pasadena Golf Club (NLE)
Virginia CC (Long Beach)
Goose Creek

These just didn't happen from recent rains in the past few years, but an even more devastating storms--for their time, in 1937.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 11:29:06 AM »
Does the destruction, or lack there of, caused by mother nature, in anyway reflect on the architect's abilities?

If the degree of destruction is commensurate with natural phenomenon that caused it, I'd suspect it has no bearing.

Should it?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 12:27:23 PM »
Adam
can you expand on your last post a little. I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking, but I have the distinct feeling that it's a very good question (with interesting implications).  

Thanks
Peter

Roger Tufts

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 01:11:41 PM »
Rustic Canyon.....

Yeah me and Brad were out there during that storm-period. We went to Barona Creek when it was pouring and I asked for Rain Gloves. The guys working there looked at me like I had 3 heads and told me "No, it only rains 3 or 4 days a year here..."

Erosion can be included as well since its caused so much re-working of greens on Links Courses. The third at Tralee had to have the green moved I believe, not completely sure on that, but didn't Ballybunion have to get a green moved on the back nine as well due to erosion?
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Matt MacIver

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 02:01:33 PM »
This has been mentioned here before, but both courses at Wild Dunes were torn apart by a hurricane several years back, with a number of holes lost altogether.  

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 03:56:13 PM »
Olympic Ocean.

Christopher Klingenstein

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 04:28:48 PM »
Seeing the amount of tree loss in the Northern suburbs last eve, I wonder how many courses lost trees that really defined a certian hole(s)

I know my boss who lives on Indian Hill #7 had severe tree damage,

SL_Solow

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 05:00:19 PM »
For my friends who have been wondering, the tree on Briarwood's 18th was undamaged.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 05:03:42 PM »
I'm sure the collapse into the ocean of the 18th at Trump's "Pebble Beach South" has something to do with weather, but not sure what.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 05:27:57 PM »
The "C" Nine at Huntingdon Valley was detreed by a twister of some sort shortly after it reopened after a long hiatus.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 06:49:41 PM »
While not due to an act of God, subsidence at Beau Desert because of mining has radically altered some greens.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back