News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Re:The Apex of Geekiness ...
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2007, 12:30:29 PM »
LLoyd,

Really? Have you tried it?

How was the tour?

Tony

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2007, 12:40:17 PM »
LLoyd,

Really? Have you tried it?

How was the tour?

Tony

Tour was hell, but I got paid. Airlines only lost my guitars 4 times. I'm working towards the Rod method, I have yet to try it

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2007, 12:41:07 PM »
Hold your horses, Joe. I was away from the internet - Tom are your score cards arranged by country?
I have several boxes of yardgage books, arranged by region, then I can be annoyed buying a new one each time a I visit a course.

Lloyd,

Perhaps if I had visited more countries than five, that would make sense.

However, I have my scorecards just in pure alphabetic order in a big trunk, and my yardage books (and promo materials) in another, also arranged alpha, albeit that one's a bit messier.  ;)

Richard Boult

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2007, 12:43:05 PM »
Probably the geekiest things I do is always playing with one type of golf ball. Some guys I play with have rolled their eyes when I find a brand-new ProV1x in the woods and give it away rather than keeping it to use. They can't imagine why I'd pay for a new dozen HX Hot balls every month or two when I find many "better" balls around the course.

Brent
I do the same, though you could save those ProVs for me. One less variable in a game with so many is a good thing for me.. I don't see it as geeky - I need all the help I can get.

I've always thought that those of us who think using a single ball will help our game by reducing the number of variables are the very ones that won't see a bit of difference in our score. It's only after you get REALLY good, that the difference between a Top Flight and ProV1 make much diffference, and by the time you get that good, you can score w/ a Top Flight or any other ball.

Just play what you find, unless you're on tour ;)

Thanks for that R...
I can absolutely see a difference in the way the ProV reponds to chips and short pitches compared to even a similarly marketed ball, and I'm not much of a golfer.

I'm not saying we can't tell the difference between them, I'm only suggesting it doesn't lower our score.  I love the ProV1, but have interestingly shot all my best scores with "found" balls of other types (not that that proves my point).

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2007, 06:21:13 PM »
Probably the geekiest things I do is always playing with one type of golf ball. Some guys I play with have rolled their eyes when I find a brand-new ProV1x in the woods and give it away rather than keeping it to use. They can't imagine why I'd pay for a new dozen HX Hot balls every month or two when I find many "better" balls around the course.

Brent
I do the same, though you could save those ProVs for me. One less variable in a game with so many is a good thing for me.. I don't see it as geeky - I need all the help I can get.

I've always thought that those of us who think using a single ball will help our game by reducing the number of variables are the very ones that won't see a bit of difference in our score. It's only after you get REALLY good, that the difference between a Top Flight and ProV1 make much diffference, and by the time you get that good, you can score w/ a Top Flight or any other ball.

Just play what you find, unless you're on tour ;)

Thanks for that R...
I can absolutely see a difference in the way the ProV reponds to chips and short pitches compared to even a similarly marketed ball, and I'm not much of a golfer.

I'm not saying we can't tell the difference between them, I'm only suggesting it doesn't lower our score.  I love the ProV1, but have interestingly shot all my best scores with "found" balls of other types (not that that proves my point).
No it doesn't prove the point. But it did seem to be the impetus for your making the original suggestion. No?
A major factor in golf is confidence vs indecision - One less variable to add indecision can only be a good thing.

James Bennett

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2007, 07:45:18 PM »
Lloyd

re the choice of ball.  I am with you.  A Pro V1 gives the best short-game response (well, balata was better, but my drives were more 'short-game' as well with a balata).

However, if the greens are not firm and fast, and are relatively accepting to aerial shots, then the benefits of a Pro V1 are somewhat lost.  You could play with a Laddie and get a similar outcome.

I could not imagine a Laddie being suitable for a links course.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Walt_Cutshall

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2007, 08:45:44 PM »
I, too, use a leather scorecard holder (at least in hot weather). It is the only way I can carry a scorecard without sweating it to a pulp. I also carry a little retractable wire brush. I bought it as in impulse item next to the register in a golf shop and it has become one of my favorite little tools. It is the best thing I've used for getting dirt out of my iron grooves.  8)

Joe Hancock

« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2007, 08:53:31 PM »
I confess to having a shoebox full of scorecards.  Two cards for each course, one clean and one with my best score.  I've recently started to add the yardage books when available.

I also collect bag tags from courses I've played.  (No, I don't have them all hanging on my bag.)  I did have them displayed in my office, hanging from a flagstick mounted to the wall.  When we moved 12 years ago, I took them down and now they are in boxes.

I also maintain a database of Arizona golf courses.  I noticed that all the different published ones were incomplete or with errors, so I created my own.  I get excited when I find out about a new course and get to add it to my list.

On the course however, I'm perfectly normal.   ::)

Tom

No more calls, please, we have a winner!  ;D

Joe

Hold your horses, Joe. I was away from the internet - Tom are your score cards arranged by country?
I have several boxes of yardgage books, arranged by region, then I can be annoyed buying a new one each time a I visit a course.

You're just trying to make trouble, aren't you, Lloyd?

;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2007, 07:10:52 AM »
I confess to having a shoebox full of scorecards.  Two cards for each course, one clean and one with my best score.  I've recently started to add the yardage books when available.

I also collect bag tags from courses I've played.  (No, I don't have them all hanging on my bag.)  I did have them displayed in my office, hanging from a flagstick mounted to the wall.  When we moved 12 years ago, I took them down and now they are in boxes.

I also maintain a database of Arizona golf courses.  I noticed that all the different published ones were incomplete or with errors, so I created my own.  I get excited when I find out about a new course and get to add it to my list.

Tom

Joe

You're just trying to make trouble, aren't you, Lloyd?

;D

Moi? :)

Tom Yost

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2007, 10:15:35 AM »

Tom

Joe

JOE:  Was it any one that pushed me over the top, or the combination of the three ?

LLOYD:  My scorecards are categorized by era then alpha sorted by architect  (i.e. "Early Links," "American Golden Age," "Postwar boom," ...)
HA, just kidding. ;D

Say what you will, I have never sent a SASE to obtain a missing card   8)

Tom

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2007, 10:16:50 AM »
Or drove 2 hours each way to procure one from a par three course you played in college....

dsilk

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2007, 12:50:53 PM »
all,
i was thrilled to read that once again, our esteemed colleague, Tony "is that good?" Pioppi is using verbs in almost all of his sentences again. As many of you may know, "A.G." Pioppi ( which stands for America's Guest..) has seen fit to insinuate that one of his playing partners might have taken to wearing frilly pinks during a recent round. Please let it be duly noted that like Bill Murray in Stripes- yours truly rarely wears underwear, and when i do.... that's right, it's mesh-
as for young Anthony, he clearly wears loose fitting thongs as the clanging sound that his cocktail onions made when finally having to putt for something more meaningful than pride was overpowering- which was somewhat strange as one would have thought that the dust buildup would have acted as a muffler of sorts...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back