News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

golfetc

maintanence cost guidelines for tees, greens, etc
« on: August 26, 2002, 05:38:48 PM »
Do maintanence cost guidlelines exist for Tees, Greens, Fariways and Rough in terms of square footage?  

For example, can you say when you are designing a course that a green costs $1000 a year per sqft to maintain, or per month, or day, etc.  Can you than compare that to fairways, Tees, etc.  

The reason I ask is that as a former greenskeeper in my younger days I have an appreciation for how much labor, equipment maintanence, etc. goes into the upkeep of each particular part of a golf course.  As I played Royal New Kent and Stonehouse I was amazed at the size of the tee boxes and greens and fairways and thought that they must be very expensive to maintain.  At the prices we paid (a very reasonable $49 for RNK, and $30 for the replay at Stonehouse) I wondered whether they could afford the upkeep, let alone make money.  Although I did not care for Stonehouse there is nothing more painful than to see a course die a slow death with deteriorating conditions.  

I am sure a neighborhood will spring up around Stonehouse to save it and in reading the Strantz interview on this site he maintains that his courses are no more expensive to maintain and any others, but from my observaiton it just doesn't seem to hold water.  

PS. on another note, I think his coures that are destinations, like Tobacco Road will thrive due to the novelty, but I wonder about RNK and Stonehouse which are not located at typical golfing destinations.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

A_Clay_Man

Re: maintanence cost guidelines for tees, greens,
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2002, 05:36:33 AM »
Since no one else has chimed in, may I suggest the GCSAA. They should have all the facts and figures for you. If no them then the NGF or usga. I think they will sell you thier reports for 150 bucks. But I haven't tried in a few years.

Rick_Noyes

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2002, 05:51:24 AM »
Although I don't have a dollar figure, you can usually tell when a course would be at a higher cost to maintain.  The labor figure is always your highest cost.  Obviously larger tees and greens require more time and effort to keep them in shape and it is also based on the growing conditions.  Intricate bunkering, ornamental areas, wetland areas that need to be kept low and out of play are also labor intensive to keep them looking good.  Interesting that Stonehouse and RNK are less expensive now.  they were both at the $125 range when they first opened.  Williamsburg is a growing golf destination and consequently courses are competing rate wise.  Courses that are high maintenance in a highly competitive market have a difficult time keeping themselves at a certain level.

Patrick Sisk, CGCS

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2002, 07:37:47 AM »
Due to the many variables that go into maintenance programs it is nearly impossible to come up with a standard maintenance cost.  Type of machine used to mow, topdressing material and frequency, grooming frequency, etc. Plant protectorant, fertility and growth regulation programs also vary from region to region depending on the severity and prolonged pressure of various diseases and insects.  Water sources and cost have to be factored as well.  Additionally, course design plays a major role in maintenance costs.  Travel time from hole to hole and the ammount of "hand" work have to be considered when projecting labor costs.  

Many golf courses are establishing maintenance standards.  These "guidelines" are used to set member/guest expectations in line with budgetary realities. In the public sector, anticipated revenue can be compared to actual and realistic budgets can be set accordingly.  In the private sector budgets should be set according to members expectations and the financial health of the club.  All too often budgets are set through the "back door" and Superintendents are left underfunded when compared to the demands put upon them.    

Steve Okula CGCS

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2002, 11:17:53 AM »
My colleague Mr. Sisk makes some good points. Having been around a while, I have seen that labor cost is always 60-80% of total budget. I believe the single most significant variable will be the cost of labor in whatever area you're in. For example, if you have to use union people in New Jersey it's going to be a sight more expensive than Mexicans in El Paso.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back