News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gerry B

allegheny
« on: June 26, 2007, 08:05:16 PM »
just returned from a weekend in the pittsburgh area. played 3 courses this trip

1)oakmont was fabulous as usual  - course was in perfect condition -and yes the rough is still there.

2)sunnehanna (tillinghast in Johnstown) was a fun course to play. not his best but very good nonethless.

3)allegheny - i know donald ross did work there in the 1930's -any idea who was the original architect and how much of the present course is ross? had many of his design principles.
there was an interesting 380 yd par 4 on the front with a biarritz green that was small in relation to the other biarritz greens but was set on a 45 degree angle counter clockwise.  very effective imho.

mike_beene

Re:allegheny
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 11:10:07 PM »
Never played Allegheny but driven by on way to Sewickly Heights.What a beautiful setting.Is Oakmont planning to cut some rough?I will be there week after next and probably better load up on the ammunition.

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 07:05:02 AM »
I think Sunnehanna is an excellent course, mostly because of Tillinghast's greens.  So many slope front to back that the approach shots required are simply fascinating.  I visited Bedford Springs and Sunnehanna before playing Oakmont last year.  Each stop was enjoyable and educational in their own way.  I was interested in Sunnehanna to see Flynn's work there, but came away very impressed with the greens and routing.  Bedford Springs came out of nowhere (I had never heard of it before Ron Forse called me to tell me I had to stop there) and really impressed me.  As did the work that Ron and Jim did!  My trip ended with a twilight round at Oakmont with Tom Paul and our good friend and his wife. I had the added bonus of a lesson in humility playing Oakmont  ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 07:05:44 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 08:13:27 AM »
I'll be in the area in 3 weeks and am looking for some recommendations.
Be the ball

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 10:18:19 AM »
I believe Brad's book says Ross did work on 3 holes at Allegheny, a true gem of a course.

I think also that they have been doing some restorative work (sorry, Mike Young :)) under the astute guidance of Hanse Design, but I could be wrong on that one.

I'll be in the area in 3 weeks and am looking for some recommendations.

This has been covered in pretty heavy detail on here, it's in the archives. I'll try to see if I can find some later.

To sum up: Burgh private great, Burgh public not so great.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Gerry B

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 10:27:18 AM »
i was told that the shortening of the rough will take the better part of the season, the local caddies will be able to find your balls as once they land as they do not move very far. our group lost 1 ball between the 4 of us the entire round.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 10:32:50 AM »
Jeff E:

My recommendation -- avoid Olde Stonewall. Plenty of hype and how it gets rated among Digest's top 10 in Pennsy is hilarious. The course has its moments but it's not at the level the magazines say it is.

You may want to stop by Quicksilver -- located in Midway -- about 30 minutes west of Pittsburgh. Very well done layout and was the forerunner for the rapid rise of Pittsburgh public golf which for a very long time was utterly forgettable.

One other recommendation -- try Birdsfoot -- you'll need to go about 30-40 minutes northeast of town to reach the course. Nicely done layout with some interesting holes. The price is also right.

If you have time -- try going to Oglebay Park in Wheeling, WV. Sounds like its far away -- but no more than 35-45 minutes away via I-79 to I-70. The 36-hole layout is fun to play -- especially the original RTJ course and you should make it a point to hit balls at their driving range on-site. Quite an eyeful indeed.

On the private side --

Oakmont is the one -- followed by Fox Chapel and The Field Club. There are others worthy of your time if access is possible.

Gerry B

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 10:25:04 PM »
a prominent member GCA answered my initial question re: who designed Allegheny:

Tom Bendelow in 1902  / Ross added some touches in 1933 and so on and so forth

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back