News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re:GOLFCLUBATLAS.com's most valuable contributors!?
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007, 04:30:35 PM »
If I were Barney, I'd think someone was bucking for a free t shirt.

:)

You think that is all Ted was going for? ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ted Kramer

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 04:35:34 PM »
If I were Barney, I'd think someone was bucking for a free t shirt.

:)

You think that is all Ted was going for? ;)

I thought Barney built and or paved roads.
Truth be told I was hoping he'd offer to do my driveway . . .

-Ted

Ian Andrew

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 05:14:50 PM »
There are so many good ones, that picking one is strictly a personal expression.

I enjoy the idea guys like Pat, Mike C, Geoff C, Tom P, Mark R, etc. who come up with great threads. Ran was once the best at this.

Obviously I enjoy Tom, Forrest, Mike, Jeff, JWL and the other architects that bring a certain perspective that is often needed - and occasionally to tell me when I'm a little off base.
I miss Kelly a lot personally.

The moderators used to provide a great deal, but are stunningly quiet these days. There area lot of people that are long gone who were very interesting.

Any series by Chris, Scott B, Matt W, George, Paul T, Sean (to name a few) usually brought me to the site more than usual. I have read every interview and In My Opinion piece and people like Dunlop need to be commended too. They make not hit the discussion group at lot but they have made major contributions.

My personal favourite will always be Tom MacWood because he offered a historical research, had a set of consistent values and was the one guy who could show us we didn't know as much as we had initially thought we did. He kept us honest. I miss him and I miss the historical philosophy threads that don’t seem to come anymore.

My current favourites is Mr Pazin for his curiosity and decorum – a gentlemen.

I came here before 1999 - the threads used to last a week - now it is a day.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 05:36:06 PM by Ian Andrew »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2007, 05:21:52 PM »
A foolish bird builds his nest in a tree of sarcasm.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 05:47:32 PM »
My original comments were meant as honest compliments.
If anything I wrote in this thread was offensive,  I'm sorry as that certainly wasn't my intention.

That will be my last comment in this thread.

-Ted

David Stamm

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2007, 06:51:26 PM »
I'd like to mention a few who I truly enjoy reading their comments and conversing with.

TEP- One of the most knowledgable here and funniest. I need to call you again Tom beacuse I truly enjoyed our conversation on the phone.

Wayne M- If you need to know something about Flynn, to quote Ghostbusters, who ya gonna call? I always enjoy your posts Wayne.

Bob Crosby- Another wealth of info and is a real gentleman.

Pat Mucci- Pat, you truly are a real ass-et to the site! ;) ;D
Just kidding, Pat. I appreciate your straight forward approach and pull no punches attitude. No sugar coating from this man!

Philip Young- I love reading your insights to anything about Tillie, one of my favs. Your book about him is fantastic!

Tommy the Emperor- You know how I feel about you big guy! ;)

Tom Doak- I really can't say anything that Tom hasn't probably heard many times by other admirers, so anything said by a peon like me won't have much weight. However, I feel like this must've been what it was like to see Mackenzie's career unfold. And my friends know how I feel about Mack.

I could go on and on but I'll mention a few others: Bill Mcbride, Bob Huntley, Ian Andrew, Mike Cirba, Sully, Rich Goodale, Mayday, all the Bay Area boys, George Pazin and our counterparts across the pond and down under.

Also my friends Simps and Spaulding.

I've only met a few of you, but I hope to meet the rest in the future.

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Doug Siebert

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2007, 01:50:09 AM »
I will be the first to nominate Patrick Mucci - his passion for architecture is always evident, and his experience is always valuable, even if he says something I disagree with. His attitude sparks conversation and elicits passion from others.

I also appreciate George Pazin, who is quick to come to the defense of lesser golfers, and who created the famous Oakmont threads that will exponentially increase my enjoyment of this year's US Open.

To rate Patrick Mucci on the Doak Scale as suggested above, there's one thing that really influences me to rate him down.  Much like a classic course that suffers because it is overwatered and overtreed (i.e., too much GREEN) his constant use of quoting and re-quoting using different colors really puts me off.  I'd give him a Doak 7.

But I think with a TEPaul approved F&F maintenance practice and Oakmont style tree removal, he could be a 9.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 01:57:02 AM by Doug Siebert »
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Joe Perches

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2007, 02:09:48 AM »
To rate Patrick Mucci on the Doak Scale as suggested above, there's one thing that really influences me to rate him down.  Much like a classic course that suffers because it is overwatered and overtreed (i.e., too much GREEN) his constant use of quoting and re-quoting using different colors really puts me off.  I'd give him a Doak 7.

But I think with a TEPaul approved F&F maintenance practice and Oakmont style tree removal, he could be a 9.

Learning how to use [
] and [
] is much simpler than learning how to use a backhoe to shape bunkers or practicing on a sandpro too.

Mike_Young

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2007, 06:51:54 AM »
One thing for sure is......site has been an avenue for a few posters to develop into pretty good posers.....(oops I for got the "t").....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2007, 07:44:39 AM »
Most Valuable Contributor?

Will there be a trophy and/or a cash stipend? ;D If not, how about a photo of the 12th at GCGC?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

JESII

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2007, 10:20:47 AM »
You know what's funny?

...who has an eagle eye and a vulture's nose for complete and utter BS, including my own.  ;D

We all know what's coming when you log on Shiv...waist high BS...

Scott Witter

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2007, 02:18:54 PM »
TEPaul:

Great meeting up with you at Fox Chapel yesterday...NOT a good walk spoiled in my view :D  Great discussion regarding Raynor as well ;)

Funny that you posted this opinion when these are almost the exact words from my mouth regarding Peter Pallotta.

There are many who contribute that make this site valuable and of course there are a few highlights as mentioned, but it takes much more than highlights to make a women beautiful 8)  In a very recent discussion with board members from a prominent club they mentioned on several ocassions how much they have gained from reading the educated posts from all of the experts on the site, not just architects, or supers, but the well-traveled as well.

Ian, I have recently met George Pazin and I would agree with your assessment, clearly a gentlemen, an eager and quick learner and someone who certainly has passion and the spirit of the game all in the right place.

Great to meet you George ;)

George Pazin

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2007, 02:36:19 PM »
Thanks, Scott, the feeling is mutual, and last night was indeed great fun, so much so it prompted me to start another thread just moments ago, echoing many of your thoughts and sentiments.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Doug Ralston

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2007, 03:05:28 PM »
"C'est moi, c'est moi, I blush to disclose,
but I'm far too noble to lie.
The knight in which these qualities bide;
c'est moi, c'est moi, tis I!"

:-*

Doug

PS: A popularity contest with peer
 pressure on GCA? Na-a-ah  ::)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back