News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Re:Erin Hills - 'An Infant Classic'
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2007, 12:00:15 PM »
Ralph,  

In your view, besides basic conditioning issues which have improved significantly since last August, what specific fixes are needed?  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Rich Goodale

« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2007, 12:01:47 PM »
I haven't read this thread, but isn't "instant classic" an oxymoron?  Possibly the key difference between classic courses (be they Colt or Bendelow) and the modern ones (be they Doak or my Grandmother) is the patina of age.  There are a lot of average courses out there that look great because they've acquired a natural look and an "old shoes" feel.  There are a lot of possibly great courses out there that look average because they are so new that you can't really see them as fitting into the landscape, and feel as if they are expensive, but new shoes that need a breaking in before they are really comfortable.

BTW--who is Erin Hills?

Dan Moore

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2007, 12:22:47 PM »
Actually its "Infant Classic" which I think was your point in any event.  

Erin Hills is a young Wisconsin lass with many hidden charms who thinks she is Irish.  Once she accepts her Wisconsin roots she may mature into a beautiful and spirited adult.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2007, 12:36:48 PM »
Ralph,  

In your view, besides basic conditioning issues which have improved significantly since last August, what specific fixes are needed?  
Conditioning and the deep natural rough were my primary issues.
Loved the naturalness of the land movement and the sense of quirky on many of the holes. Overall it felt a bit "off" and maybe that is what Brad was talking about in the routing.
I really want to erase the memory of that visit and see the course the for the first time in my next visit.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2007, 12:45:56 PM »
I have to bail and get back to work but was wondering what everyone that has been there thought about Open spectator traffic. Aren't they going to have to significantly clear out a lot of areas for the spectators?Back later.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Andrew Balakshin

« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2007, 11:03:17 PM »
Is this a natural green site?
Judging by the construction descriptions I've read it must be, but dirt moving quantities are quite subjective.
It looks like it was cut.
Actually it looks like a big fill pad too.

This ridge looks cool.

I thought it looked like a big cut too when I saw that picture on their website.

Let just hope this wasn’t one of the 14 or whatever minimalist holes (but I have a feeling it was, haha).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back