News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Harry Vardon
« on: June 14, 2007, 07:49:30 AM »
...So I just played Little Aston Golf Club in the Midlands and I just loved the bunkering which was described to me as "typical Vardon bunkering"... believe he designed the course and alterations were made by Harry Colt...

Anyone want to talk to me about Harry Vardon design traits?... or what other courses he was involved in?... or whether he was even considered a good architect?

Thanks...

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:Harry Vardon
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 10:34:59 AM »
Harry Vardon was not a prolific architect.  His course at Woodhall Spa was redesigned by Hotchkin.  He did some early work at Ganton.  How much of this survives I cannot say.  His last years were spent at South Herts and today's course is much of his making - not a very memorable course, I'm afraid.  Probably his most interesting layout is Sandy Lodge, although he was working to a formidable brief by the club's founder, Markes, who clearly told him precisely what he wanted, and where.  I have always liked and enjoyed Little Aston, but it doesn't get much acclaim on this site.  I can't say that I see a particular style emerging from the three Vardon courses I know best, Little Aston, Sandy Lodge and South Herts.  Not much use to you, I'm afraid.  

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 10:49:57 AM »
i wonder if perhaps the bunkering at little aston had more to do with colt than vardon then?... plenty of cross bunkering... really was a joy to plot your way round...

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 04:14:05 PM »
I his 1912 book, Vardon said of the need to bring back cross bunkering because all the players were learning to hit a low running draw to get more distance. He felt cross bunkering and carry bunkers would get people hitting carry shots again.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 03:33:36 PM »
One of the more interesting courses in the Highlands is Kingussie G.C., near Aviemore, where golf has been played since 1891. In 1908 they “asked advice” of Harry Vardon - a sassenach no less - for the extension to 18 Holes.

It’s the preferred course in the region because of the interesting (quirky) holes. Vardon had no fear placing the tees and greens in some unusual places and came up with some gems.

I once played the Kingussie Open, a 36-Hole event in one day  -  in the pouring rain, a few americans were also participating who had been coming back regularly over the years.

Some of the greens are still original, with great dips in the front half of the green where the earth material had been excavated and used to build up the back of the green.
There are 2 “Eagles Nest” tees to Par 3’s directly below and a classic blind Par 3 “up and under”.
Go and play it before the annual “gardenising” by the club has ironed out the quirks. Unfortunatly the club has also succombed to the temptation of “free trees” and corridored up some of the fairways, which are already narrow, making the course more difficult and blocking out their “trump card” - the views across the highlands.

However the positives far out weigh the negatives - if you’re on your way to Dornoch from Edinburgh - drop in - you won’t be disappointed

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back