News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

CJ Carder

Re: Royal Troon - No Love?
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 04:52:54 PM »
I have no view on Troon, since I have never played there and don't feel any great desire to.  I am puzzled and perplexed by Sean and Bob's comments regarding HCEG, though.  In the last 6 years I have played Muirfield 3 times asa visitor, paying the full green fee on a Tuesday or Thursday and probably a dozen times as the guest of a member on a day other than Tuesday or Thursday.  I have never felt any less welcome as a green-fee paying visitor than as a guest.  Most of my friends who have played as visitors have felt welcomed but, ocasionally, I speak to someone with an experience that sounds like Sean or Bob's.  Is this an experience based on expectations, or have I been lucky, or others unlucky?

Mark - if you were lucky then so was I when we played both courses (Troon and Muirfield) back in 2007.  Troon was sort of indifferent from a welcoming standpoint, but HCEG couldn't have gone any further out of their way to make our group feel welcome and appreciated.  To a man, all 8 of us said Muirfield was the highlight of our trip.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 07:25:07 PM »
Matthew,

this is the worst of the Open rota courses and there are many not the rota that are much better. It has many non descript holes, charges an absolute fortune and when I was there had a really bad attitude towards visitors. Despite parting with a sum of money that would get you a yearly subscription at a course in my neck of the woods I was treated by the club and it membership as some sort of nussiance that was barely to be tolerated.

Needless to say, I will not be going back again,

Jon
the secondtime I was atTroon we had a similar experience.  the course was empty and they would not let 3 of us past the pro shop cash register. One of us was a Hall of Famer so we played elsewhere and have not sent them a round since.

Gary

I wonder if the issue was that they were waiting for the alloted time when visitors are allowed to tee off ? If thats the case, the starter or pro won't have the discretion to let them on the course outwith visitors times. That might seem pedantic or "bad business" but the rule is there for the members. In my experience members are happy for visitors to play the course, and hope they enjoy it,  but what the members also want is to know they can down to the course at set points in the week and know they can get on relatively easily. Thats the benefit of being a member and how many courses used to be as well. Unlike Troon other clubs have a more flexible approach which is to the detriment of the members as they can be caught out by showing up at their own club and end up stuck behind a party of 12. I know its happened to me.

Niall

ps. clearly I'm in a minority of 1 who likes the first half a dozen holes. 

Niall,

it is often not what you say but how you say it that makes the impression.

I have had an outstanding time both times I played at Muirfield, an indeed the last time on a cold and windy January day was perhaps my best golfing experience ever despite having to start play off the 10th in the morning and playing 4somes in the afternoon. The club staff were very welcoming and the members seemed to delight in showing why they are so proud of their club. I found Prestwick mmbers were similar.

Troon was a bad experience from the staff to the members. I understand that there might be rules but there is no excuse for bad manners.

Jon

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2010, 07:01:03 AM »
Thanks to all who have replied. I'm grateful for the responses.

The number of respondants who commented on either the green fee, seemingly poor treatment from staff, preference for neighbouring courses, or a sense of unwelcome at Troon, is not what I expected.

Certainly not what I thought GCA members would focus on when asked to comment on the merits of a course, let alone an Open rota course. There seemed only a modest number of posts which gave quality critical comment of the course, other than "the last 6 or so are a hard slog into the wind".

I understand the dislike for a round of 2 halves, with a simple and often easy start through the first half dozen. Especially when it contrasts with a tougher back 9. Not a theme I'd like to see repeated frequently, but at Troon, I think it works.

I like the stretch of 6 through 13. A mix of holes which are well-sited, not over-done, and all demand something different of the golfer. 6 is begging to be birdied. 8 is an architectural jem. What's not to love with 8? As Kevin stated, the land through that middle third of the course moves well. The approach to 10 is a great shot. There's a challenge with the drive and approach at 11. I can still feel the sense of unease and disorrientation on the tee at 13, with the wind picking up. Do others experience that or is it just me? I also liked 17. For a course with some strengths, I'm surprised it isn't appreciated a little more.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Niall C

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2010, 10:27:18 AM »
Jon

While I was responding to why things are maybe done a certain way at Troon, you're quite right in saying that there's no excuse for bad manners and I certainly wouldn't try and defend that. I do wonder however if it is bad manners, or lack of warmth or down right hostility, but what ever I shall mention to my friends who are members as I am sure they would want to know and hopefully try and do something about it.

Matthew,

I'm struck that there seems to be a consensus that the first few holes are bland but I'm not sure you could call them easy. In the numerous times I've played there I also couldn't honestly say that I could categorically say what the prevailing wind was such that the finish was a hard slog into the wind thats being written about in this thread. Indeed the last time I played there durting the summer I hit my best drive of the day at the 18th and was within 30 yards of the putting surface.

Niall

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2010, 01:31:24 PM »
Bob - the boorish departed are usually viewed in time as "characters" clearly Hamer wasn't an eccentric but a dick.
Cave Nil Vino

KBanks

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2010, 01:38:40 PM »
The current bookings secretary of HCEG, Anne McCarthy, is a lovely person.

Ken

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2010, 03:26:06 PM »
I have no view on Troon, since I have never played there and don't feel any great desire to.  I am puzzled and perplexed by Sean and Bob's comments regarding HCEG, though.  In the last 6 years I have played Muirfield 3 times asa visitor, paying the full green fee on a Tuesday or Thursday and probably a dozen times as the guest of a member on a day other than Tuesday or Thursday.  I have never felt any less welcome as a green-fee paying visitor than as a guest.  Most of my friends who have played as visitors have felt welcomed but, ocasionally, I speak to someone with an experience that sounds like Sean or Bob's.  Is this an experience based on expectations, or have I been lucky, or others unlucky?

Canary

I have never been ill-treated at Muirfield nor would I expect to be.  Given their system of how they deal with visitors, I was well treated.  While if I was member at Muirfield I would probably think it a great idea to cram visitors through on Tues & Thurs, but as a visitor, it is less than ideal.  I don't like the idea of being herded through an expensive day (reminds me of an airport) at a club and did indeed object on my last visit.  That said, my objections were noted and we were allowed to tee of in the PM after a satisfactorily long lunch break so long as members weren't playing.  We took a chance and it paid off.   

Matthew

Sorry to disappoint with my comments, but I reckon for me and a great many other traveling golfers, we are looking for value amongst the many wonderful courses.  I couldn't call Troon wonderful or good value, but I readily accept it is a good course.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back