News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Ernie's Golf Vacation
« on: June 15, 2007, 10:29:24 AM »
I found it kind of interesting and refreshing that Ernie Els chose to go to Long Island and play NGLA, Shinnecock and Sebonack rather than going to Oakmont in order to prepare for the Open. (It was reported that he did not arrive at Oakmont until Monday) It would be interesting to get his impression of the courses and perhaps how the architecture allowed him to understand different ways to deal with what he would face at Oakmont.

Craig Sweet

Re:Ernie's Golf Vacation
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 10:33:50 AM »
other than getting a "feel" for the speed of the greens and getting your eye adjusted to the geography, what is there to gain from playing a few rounds at Oakmont?

You're either striking the ball good or not....no amount of walking the course will help that...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 11:46:43 AM »
Craig: I don't see much that can be learned from seeing how you are going to hit out of the rough at Oakmont.  The nuances of the greens is the most important factor for guys are Ernie's level as I don't think that there's much of a secret as to where you should hit it - the question is where it will go when it lands.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 11:46:54 AM »
I'll bet Ernie's family had a few nice days at the beach in Southhampton.

Tiger and Phil must have some reason for maing multiple visits to Oakmont in the weeks preceeding the open. Maybe Ernie knows he's not going to compete this year, or maybe his family just needed a vacation.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

John Nixon

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 11:58:11 AM »
I'll bet Ernie's family had a few nice days at the beach in Southhampton.

Tiger and Phil must have some reason for maing multiple visits to Oakmont in the weeks preceeding the open. Maybe Ernie knows he's not going to compete this year, or maybe his family just needed a vacation.

Well, Tiger, at least, had never seen or played Oakmont before. I believe Ernie is a bit more familiar with the course.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 12:00:03 PM »
I'm with Jim.  When I read that, my first thought was "what a cool vacation, good for Ernie."  And the more you think about it, the more the preparation would be just fine on Long Island... these are all "inland links", no?

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back