News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Reverse Camber Uphill Par Four
« on: May 30, 2007, 10:00:57 AM »
In the Anticlimax thread about the 18th at Cypress Point Club, Brad Klein made the following statement:

"There has never been a good reverse camber uphole hole in the history of golf."  I immediately thought of my disdain (due solely to my limited playing ability) of the 4th at Southern Pines.

Such holes aren't endearing, but are there not a few good ones out there?  Does the 8th at Spyglass qualify or is it too straightaway?

Mike  
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Phil McDade

Re:Reverse Camber Uphill Par Four
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 10:08:13 AM »
The 18th at Oakland Hills? Hogan birdied it to finish off his 67 there that won the '51 US Open and gave the course the label of a "monster." Johnny Miller, for what it's worth, thought it one of the best and most demanding finishing holes in golf during the Ryder Cup commentary a few years ago.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 10:15:20 AM »
The 6th at Woodway (roughly 400 yards or so? Jim Keever?) is an EXCELLENT reverse-camber uphill par 4.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 11:22:30 AM »
The 7th at the Hamilton Golf and Country Club is a good reverse camber uphill par 4 on a highly regarded H.S. Colt design used for the Canadian Open twice in the last 5 years.

tlavin

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 11:56:05 AM »
Isn't there at least one at the Olympic Club???

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 12:08:38 PM »

There are 2, the 2nd and the 4th.  

They are 2 of the backbone holes that make up the very tough 2-6 stretch that breaks almost everyone.

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 12:14:46 PM »
Joel, you forgot 9 and 18 ... and you can include 17 in US Open configuration.  

I might even through in #5 as they fairways does kick your ball away from the dogleg and is ever so slightly uphill to the green.

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 06:40:22 PM »

There are 2, the 2nd and the 4th.  

They are 2 of the backbone holes that make up the very tough 2-6 stretch that breaks almost everyone.

God, those holes are hard.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 07:11:03 PM »
With all due respect to Brad. I think the 2nd and 4th at Olympic Lake are great holes. The 2nd is to the right and 4th to the left.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back