News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

Jay -

I'm going to offer a little constructive feedback not on the piece but on your reactions to everyone's comments.

Personally, I can't find a good reason to give you an honest assessment of the writing.  If you get positive feedback, it serves to reinforce your obviously strong feelings about this work, but I don't see how that improves you as a writer.  If you get negative feedback, you spend an awful lot of energy debating, refuting, or agreeing to disagree with the comments, which isn't improving your writing either.  You throw it out there for review, but I don't get the sense you really wanted to hear that it needed improvement.

Contrast this with Josh, who seems to get it.  He asked for feedback on his paintings, both positive and negative.  I get the sense that he's for real when he says "tell me if there's something you loathe about my paintings.  He may not agree with everyone's opinion or even change his style, but I think he understands that an important balance exists - he can be (and should be) true to his style, but there's also a lot to be gained from soliciting and thoughtfully entertaining the audience or customer's feedback.  Sometimes, you can take that criticism with a simple "thank you" even if you don't agree with it.

I'm not sure why I'm even trying to give a complete stranger unsolicited constructive feedback on a public forum, but after 3 pages of the same thing, I feel compelled.  I hope you won't take this personally or become too offended by my comments, as that isn't my intent.

Eric_Terhorst

I know this may seem like a blatant attempt to cash in on the love felt for both me and Tom...but if you go to ebay and search either Tom Doak or John Kavanaugh you will find a piece of memorabillia for sale.  www.ebay.com btw...an evelope is commonly known also as an envelope and is empty.

see, now that's actually really funny.

Jay, if you think that's funny, maybe that means you should find  a way to bring your sense of humor to your writing.  Other than that, Mr. Doak's and Mr. Bert's comments are spot-on, imo.

John K,

I bid two bits on the item, but with a request mailed to spoooon that I hope you will appreciate.  :D

John Kavanaugh

The bidding is getting fierce with even a bigger celebrity joining the fray:
http://tinyurl.com/yuckmd

Kevin_Reilly

The bidding is getting fierce with even a bigger celebrity joining the fray:
http://tinyurl.com/yuckmd

You talking about the famous Kevinmr?  Or that Hearst character?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Kalen Braley

Hey John,

You going to throw in a kicker bonus item in there like The CG to golf courses or anything like that??   ;D

John Kavanaugh

Hey John,

You going to throw in a kicker bonus item in there like The CG to golf courses or anything like that??   ;D

Given the recent intensity of the bidding I have decided to include a hand written never before published or read by human eyes Haiku about my recent trip to Ballyneal....By architectual pundit me of course.  The listing has been revised to include same.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 05:15:56 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Dan Kelly

Here's hoping Hammy
Can buy one more Hearst paper:
The Doak Envelope
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tim Bert

Natural terrain
Wildly undulating
With no tee markers

Free of charge!

Rich Goodale

Helplessly hoping
Ham's harlequin hovers
Nearby, awaiting....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back