News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Ristola

Pedestal Greens
« on: June 22, 2007, 08:39:10 AM »
What are your favorites, those that stick out in your mind, or simply ones you have seen in photos that impressed.

Rustic Canyon 16th
Foxy; 14th Royal Dornoch http://www.royaldornoch.com/graphics/Iain%20Lowe/jpg/Royal%20Dornoch%2014th.jpg
County Sligo 4th http://www.countysligogolfclub.ie/holes/holeimages/photo04.jpg
Red Mountain Ranch 1st http://www.rmrcc.com/club/scripts/ImageAlbum/view_albums.asp?GRP=8&NS=PUBLIC&AID=1876

Mike_Cirba

Re:Pedestal Greens
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 08:44:20 AM »
#15 at The Kingsley Club

« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 08:45:41 AM by MPCirba »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 09:06:22 AM »
Tony,

I love pedestal greens. Of course, they are hard in the USA now, given the ADA ramp requirements.  We have to be satisfied with a peninsula green where at least one side is near grade......or risk huge fines or being pinned with the cost of rebuiding by one angry client going through an ADA review - or activist lawsuit.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 09:25:33 AM »
Jeff — As you would comment to you if you were me, "Jeff, you ignorant slut..."

Pedestal greens can be accessed by the venicular system as installed at Industry Hills (California.) Or, by the Desmond Muirhead palm tree catapult system (NLE.)

One of my favorite was at Gleneagles. I believe both the Kings and Queens has a decent example.

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 09:31:03 AM »
I hadn't heard the term "pedestal" green before. Who started using the term?

I thought they were called "volcano" greens (think Ross at Roaring Gap or Fazio at Crabapple). Or is "pedestal" just a lower, less severe "volcano"?  

Bob

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 10:13:37 AM »
Volcano, Pedestal, Fortress, Upside Down Soup Bowl....

Whats in a name?

Forrest, I have no comeback to that one!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 10:16:29 AM »
#3 at The Ocean Course! One of my favorite holes out there.

Russ Miller

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 12:03:12 PM »
#3 at The Ocean Course! One of my favorite holes out there.

I like #3 at The Ocean Course, too.  Short hole with a large fairway, but a tiny pedestal green - although I'm not crazy about the tree that sits in the middle of the fairway in front of the green. It seems unnecessary to me.  

I'd choose the #14 at The Ocean Course as my favorite pedestal green of the courses I have played.  The green is larger than #3, but the fall off is more severe and with that hole being right on the Ocean, the wind makes the green every bit as difficult to hit.  
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 03:26:21 PM by Russ Miller »

Phil McDade

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 02:00:22 PM »
Two of the best-known (and most photographed) holes in Wisconsin are par 3 holes that could fit under the pedestal or volcano version of this hole -- the "boxcar" 7th at Lawsonia (called that because a railroad boxcar was rumored to be used to build up the green), and the 2nd at the nine-hole Eagle Springs, in exurban Milwaukee.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 03:23:58 PM »
I think about half the greens at Lawsonia should be considered.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 04:41:33 PM »
Well, since it's Travelers Championship time here in the Nutmeg State...

...I nominate a bunch of the greens at TPC River Highlands, with 15 being the best, IMO.  What a great green complex, and what a fantastic short par 4.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Doug Siebert

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 12:56:15 AM »
Ralph,

I just played Lawsonia Links for the first time last weekend and I was thinking the same thing when I saw this thread.

#7 in particular since it has pretty good sized fall offs on all sides.  One of our group went over and back a couple times before finally getting on the putting surface.  There's also a couple foot fall off between the two halves of the green.

It is an interesting shot that is vaguely reminds me of ANGC's #12 in that the green is diagonal from short left to long right and in a hollow surrounded by trees so reading the wind can be a bit tricky.  The green isn't as shallow as ANGC's (though its still fairly shallow) but the fall off between the short left and long right halves of the green makes up for it.

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back