News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nathaniel Amrine

Golf Course Architecture Books
« on: May 24, 2007, 10:28:38 AM »
Sorry, GCA'ers I know this subject has been beaten to death but I am having a difficult time getting the "search" function to work effectively.

I am trying to purchase a small collection of books through amazon.com on GC architecture and was wondering where I should start.

So far, I have "Spirit of St. Andrews", "Grounds for Golf" and the Bandon Resort Book "Dream Golf". All of which I purchased for between $4 and $15.

Do you have other recommendations to this that are in a similar price range? Thanks.

PThomas

Re:Golf Course Architecture Books
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 10:32:45 AM »
go to classics of golf website for cheap reprints of some arch. books
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 10:51:10 AM »
Sorry, GCA'ers I know this subject has been beaten to death but I am having a difficult time getting the "search" function to work effectively.

I am trying to purchase a small collection of books through amazon.com on GC architecture and was wondering where I should start.

So far, I have "Spirit of St. Andrews", "Grounds for Golf" and the Bandon Resort Book "Dream Golf". All of which I purchased for between $4 and $15.

Do you have other recommendations to this that are in a similar price range? Thanks.

Nathaniel, pretty much anything by Shackelford can be purchased in that price range except The Captain and his Riviera club history and I would not let that stop you if you can afford them. I would also say Macdonald's book, Scotland's Gift, Golf, is a must. Mackenzie's Golf Architecture is another must as well as Simpson and Wethered's book. All these can be had in that price range if you look around. If funds permit, George Thomas' book and Robert Hunter's are cornerstone's for any library.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 01:35:37 PM »
World Atlas of Golf
http://www.amazon.com/World-Atlas-of-Golf/dp/0681029315/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/102-0874997-3792127?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180027764&sr=1-2

The Golf Course by Geoffrey S. Cornish
http://www.amazon.com/Golf-Course-Geoffrey-S-Cornish/dp/0831739479/ref=sr_1_4/102-0874997-3792127?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180027963&sr=1-4

Under $5.00 for these two copies.  These two are essentials.  Fortunately, any addition is fine for each of these books.

“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Eric Franzen

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 05:22:13 PM »
Add Tom Doak's "Anatomy of a golf course" to the titles mentioned before and you are off to a pretty good start.

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 07:56:13 PM »
I recommend "The Augusta National Golf Club" by Stan Birdy.   The book illustrates very effectively how much the course has changed over the years.

Also look at the feature interview No. 3 with Daniel Wexler.  There are a number of good selections discussed there.  

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 01:18:03 AM »
All good recommendations.

Try golfread.com too for some hard to find things.

Good luck.

P.S.  Looks like ClockTower Press is gone or sold off.  They produced several great volumes.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 05:30:06 AM »
Recently we were asked for suggestions as to how to improve this site.

How about a Book Review section?    People could submit a review and then there should be a link to threads discussing that review.  Over time we could build up an impressive library.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 08:49:06 AM »
Tony,

Great idea....Has anyone heard any updates on the new site layout?

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 10:18:38 AM »
Tony, you suggested that, "How about a Book Review section?    People could submit a review and then there should be a link to threads discussing that review..."

Where at first this sounds like a good idea, please consider that this is an open forum and anyone may post comments or views and sometimes what they do is purposefully mean spirited.

A good example of this was the recent series of topics giving any and all an opportunity to rate specific golf courses. Many of these, everyone of which are clearly in the best of the best category, received ratings of 1 out of 10!

This was done to be either funny or maliscious, yet either reason doesn't matter as it purposefully skewed what was a well-intentioned effort.

If you were an author, and I have 3 golf books out there with another due out later this year and more to follow, would you want an "official review section" in a world-renowned website as GCA has become, to review your work where some may like to practice what they consider a bit of harmless humor?

I don't

Now if Ran created a book review section and would assign some very responsible volunteers who would be held accountable for their reviews, and post these ONLY, that I would very much support.

Mike_Young

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 10:24:18 AM »
Phillip,
Good idea.....I wish actual course work could be reviewed that way....

"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 11:30:05 AM »
Philip

I'm in full agreement and in the spirit of this website perhaps the section could be called

"Golf Library
An appreciation of fine writing concerning golf."

I always believed that the intention should be to celebrate what's good about each book but with the discussion group dissenting views can also be aired; hence it would be an advantage if the main reveiw could be linked to discussion threads.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 02:23:28 PM »
Philip

I will have to respectfully disagree.  Restricting comments on golf books only to a chosen few will serve neither the interests of this board, nor of the writers involved (dead or alive).  We might as well just accept verbatim what Ran writes in his course reviews, or what Tom Doak or Paul Cowley or any other of the architects say about theirs.

Writers and architects need to listen to their customers, whether they like what they say or not.  Otherwise how will they learn and improve their craft (dead ones excluded, of course....)?

Rich
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 02:30:53 PM by Richard Farnsworth Goodale »

Eric Smith

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 02:49:41 PM »
Mr. Bahto's book, "The Evangelist of Golf" is a must read.  I also enjoy Forrest Richardson's "Routing the Golf Course".

Eric

George Pazin

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 03:06:02 PM »
It shocks me to see that I agree wholeheartedly with Rich.

:)

Book-wise, I like all of Geoff Shackelford's books and I like Tom Doak's books as well. George B's book that Eric cites is a wonderful read, and so are Brad Klein's books.

I tend to feel the older guy stuff is overrated, as shocking as that is, given my preference for their courses!

Jeff Silverman's Darwin compendiums are great reads as well.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 10:09:54 PM »
George & Rich, I think that maybe you misunderstand what I am not in favor of.

Tony originally suggested, "How about a Book Review section?    People could submit a review and then there should be a link to threads discussing that review.  Over time we could build up an impressive library."

I am NOT against book reviews, whether they proclaim the author as the next Hemingway or that a book is best suited as a barbecue starting tool.

Tony suggested, at least it is my impression, that GCA have an OFFICIAL book review section as separate to threads that discuss a particular book.

I am NOT suggesting, nor am I in favor of, as Rich suggests that my comment implies, "Restricting comments on golf books only to a chosen few will serve neither the interests of this board, nor of the writers involved (dead or alive)."

Currently there is a thread on the first page discussing a particular book, asking for comments and thoughts about it. I am all for discussions of this nature, even where sophomoric comments of the type similar to rating The Old Course as a 1 on a 1-10 scale as SEVERAL did, are made.

What I am not in favor of is seeing an OFFICIAL REVIEW of any book, old or new, written by someone who is not approved to REPRESENT GCA as a site.

What I would suggest instead is seeing a location where links to book reviews done for a reputable print or on-line magazine can be seen and read. For example, Golfweek, Golf Digest, GolfObservor.com, Travelgolf.com, and many others regularly review the latest golf books. I have had reviews of my books in newspapers such as Newsday and USA Today; an ability to link to sources such as these can also be provided.

Again, I am definitely against censoring comments, just want to make certain that they are made in the proper forum for them.

Right now the Discussion Group format works well for those who want to discuss the merits of any book.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2007, 01:44:53 AM »
Thanks, Philip

I knew that if George agreed with me I must have gotten something terribly, horribly wrong.....

Nevertheless, the less we have rules and regulations on this site the less we are threatened by our Groupthink tendencies.  Sure the Old Course is not a "1", but those outliers are rightly ignored but anybody who is really watching and listending.  More importantly, is it really a "10?"  If so, please tell me why rather than "just because," which seems to be the default argument when sacred cows are threatened to be slaughtered (or at least bitch-slapped).  If we regulate who can say what about whom or where how likely are we to learn anything new?

I'm happy to have any of my books or other writings "rated" by any panel of "experts."  However, if that is the end of those debates, and others who want to tell me what a crap (or great) writer I am are excludeed from the conversation, it is not a conversation, or even a discussion "group," but a quasi-Stalinist "Ministry of Truth."  Gosh will that be fun!

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2007, 02:33:20 AM »
Richard,

Anyone who can use a phrase such as "quasi-Stalinist 'Ministry of Truth.'" has nothing to fear from any reviewer!  ;D

Ron Kern

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2007, 07:04:51 AM »
Here's a good resource:

Click here

Green Umbrella purchased Grant Books last September.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back