News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Shane Sullivan

Kilspindie #18 - why?
« on: May 07, 2007, 06:30:12 AM »
I am only just getting around to pulling together my cards etc from our trip to Scotland and I came across this oddity:

Number 18 at Kilspindie is a 253 yard par 4 for the men (index 12) and a 241 yard par 3 for the ladies (index 14).  It is exactly the same hole, line etc except for the 12 yard difference.

Any idea why this would be?

Matthew walks off with a birdie 3 and I have a bogey 4.  In hindsight I am glad I lost our match on the previous hole since that may well have broken my heart!

Cheers
Shane

Rich Goodale

Re:Kilspindie #18 - why?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 09:38:25 AM »
Shane

You sound like my wife, who when we get to a hole where she gets a stroke, but is also a "par" 5 for her and a 4 for me (e.g. the 14th at Dornoch) wants to get two strokes!? :o

At her best she is a 10, and under those crazy rules would beat me like a drum (and I do let her do so when I am in one of my masochistic phases....).

As for you, watching you and Matt tee off at North Berwick, you should be giving him strokes, so stop girning!

Rich

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 09:54:21 AM »
Playing two couple golf with our best friends, it was "chicks and dicks" on the third round of the trip.  We were having a spirited match vs the ladies when we arrived at a hole where it was a par 5 for them and a par 4 for us.  We scored a best ball 4 and they had a 5, both net scores.  They said it should be a half, we disagreed.  Much bitterness ensued and the match was played under protest.

It turned out later (naturally) that we were right.  ;D  It's the absolute score that matters, not the respective par of the hole for the genders.

That didn't help the generally frosty nature of the post-game festivities, unfortunately.   ::)

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 08:23:17 PM »
Bill

what would happen if we were playing a match at say, Muirfield.  For some silly reason, I was playing the back tees, and you were playing the member tees.  On #9, you would play from 10 yards in front (as per normal) on your long par 4, and I would play a short par 5.  We both make 5's (assuming you avoid the bunkers on this occasion). Would I claim a win?  :o

I expect the outcome would be similar to that described earlier (a half, or perhaps a loss if I had to give you a shot), except perhaps not as frosty for as long.  ;D  

PS the same thing would happen at Alwoodley on #10 - a shortish par 5 from the back tee, and a long four from the members tee.  Very British, and I expect most unlikely to occur in Australia or the USA.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 10:15:55 PM »
Bill

what would happen if we were playing a match at say, Muirfield.  For some silly reason, I was playing the back tees, and you were playing the member tees.  On #9, you would play from 10 yards in front (as per normal) on your long par 4, and I would play a short par 5.  We both make 5's (assuming you avoid the bunkers on this occasion). Would I claim a win?  :o

I expect the outcome would be similar to that described earlier (a half, or perhaps a loss if I had to give you a shot), except perhaps not as frosty for as long.  ;D  

PS the same thing would happen at Alwoodley on #10 - a shortish par 5 from the back tee, and a long four from the members tee.  Very British, and I expect most unlikely to occur in Australia or the USA.

James B

Absolute score wins.  What did I say above?  ??? ;D

James Bennett

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 10:49:58 PM »
Absolutely Bill.  I agree.  In games between young dicks and old dicks as well as between dicks and chicks.  Although the arguing at the time would be fun (and pointless).

Just an example to show Shane that we aren't being sexist, on this occasion.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 10:10:16 AM »
Shane,

Can't answer your question but I love the hole, largely because I drove it to six feet there (easy 3!).  What's neat about the hole is the promixity of the clubhouse and side porch directly behing the putting surface with no OB.  Big hitters run the risk of driving through the green and playing a little porch hockey.  

The frumpy knotted pine lounge is as good as it gets.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back