News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

Indoor golf - not a simulator
« on: May 08, 2007, 09:56:15 PM »
How long before Doak does something like this...

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/StoryLead.aspx?id=93127

I'm wondering if Brad Klein will give us a write-up in Golfweek once it is done.  I'm thinking the air conditioning alone will get in the top 10 Modern.

If we can't get a Dixie Cup scheduled here, maybe we can take a Hillbilly Tour event there.  We'd need some special kind of automobile to make the drive from middle Tennessee to Tunica.

In all seriousness, how would a dome or roof impact the ability to have great GCA.  Would our perception get in the way even if this thing were another Pine Valley or CPC on the inside?

Pete_Pittock

Tim Bert

Re:Indoor golf - not a simulator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 10:15:11 PM »
I guess I'm three years late.

Still, I'm interested in people's take on being able to view the architecture - similar to the question posed in Matt Ward's current thread.  Couls you differentiate from the "surroundings" or is a bubble too extreme for you?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 10:38:24 PM »
I love indoor tennis and know I would enjoy indoor golf for all the same reasons.

Tim Bert

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 10:46:53 PM »
I love indoor tennis and know I would enjoy indoor golf for all the same reasons.

Is this bad weather avoidance (heat, snow, rain, etc) or are there other reasons?

Not intending to offend any serious tennis players here, but a court is a court.  While you have different surfaces, the dimensions are the same and I imagine any of them could be reproduced indoor or out with relative ease.  Grass would probably be the most difficult, but in a bubble it could probably work.

I suspect the bubble's effect on golf would be more severe.  I suspect it would be quite difficult to craft a bubble course with any significant elevation change.

Do any of the supers on the site have an opinion on the impact of the bubble on course maintenance?  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 11:14:29 PM »
Tim,

Not even all indoor tennis courts are the same.  They feel different, sound different, smell different, some are faster, some slower...It's a completely different game then inside.  Kinda like running indoor track or the difference between indoor basketball and out...or indoor eating or out, or drive in movies, etc. etc..

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 08:58:28 AM »
Some indoor tennis courts are even half grass, half clay.  :o

Is that what it takes to beat Federer?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back