News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Benedict

Hinkle's tree
« on: April 24, 2007, 03:02:06 PM »
This is a bit of an off-the-wall topic but for some reason I've been thinking about Hinkle's tree recently. Was the planting of the Hinkle tree:

a) A ridiculous overreaction on the part of the USGA to one player's creative line off the tee;

b) An appropriate response given that the architect probably never intended for anyone to play the hole that way?

JESII

Re:Hinkle's tree
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 03:11:21 PM »
Phil,

I don't think 'architect intent' had anything to do with it...I would call it an over-reaction (a) but not ridiculous. I think safety and flow concerns drove that decision...

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 04:25:39 PM »
It was more a case of "USGA intent" of how the hole played and concern about someone in the alternate fairway getting beaned.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tom Yost

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 05:59:33 PM »
Funny you mention it as I was just reading an article on the Golf Observer about Mike Strantz that contains a story about the Hinkle Tree:

http://www.golfobserver.com/features/Flemma/Strantz_021507.php

Tom

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 06:11:27 PM »
I was just discussing this with my wife yesterday as a similar situation is occuring at Torrey Pines. They are planting trees to keep golfers from playing to the 5th fairway, which borders the very long par 4 4th on the right. The 4th has a cliff edge to the left with a significant slope leading to it. It wouldn't be unlikely for players to intentionally play to the 5th, completely avoiding the cliffs and providing a better angle into the difficult left pin position on the green.

The only other option the USGA had was to add in course OB at Inverness. Can this be done once the tournament has commenced?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

David Mulle

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 06:22:14 PM »
It wasn't the first time that a tree was planted during a major championship:

"In the 1921 PGA Championship at Inwood Country Club, Walter Hagen played the seventeenth hole by driving down the parallel eighteenth fairway to give himself an advantage for his second shot. In his autobiography he explained why: "The green on the seventeenth was trapped on the short and left side, and almost at right angles to the line of play from the seventeenth fairway. If I played over onto the parallel eighteenth, I could open up the hole and come in from the right-hand side with my second shot." On the evening of the first day of the championship, while the golfers were gathered in the men's grill, several officials argued that a tree should be planted there to thwart such a strategy. Upon hearing this, Jack Mackie, the golf professional, and Morton Wild, a landscaper, uprooted a 15-foot weeping willow that they found in the woods next to the sixteenth fairway. They planted it to divide the two fairways. When he arrived on the tee the next day, Hagen quipped: "I never saw such fast-growing trees in my life."

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 07:15:03 PM »
Funny you mention it as I was just reading an article on the Golf Observer about Mike Strantz that contains a story about the Hinkle Tree:

http://www.golfobserver.com/features/Flemma/Strantz_021507.php

Tom

Just to follow up, I recently interviewed Hinkle and he told a funny story.  When they had the seniors at Inverness a couple years ago, three different networks interviewed him and asked him to point out the tree.

"Well hell" he said "I hadn't been back in 25 years, I had no idea which one it was.  They all looked the same."

So the first interviewer said that no one would know the difference, just point to one.  So Lon said OK and pointed to one.  Later for the second interview, he pointed to a different one.  Then he did a third interview and pointed to a third.  "They all looked alike" he said.

So the third interviewer goes off and Lon starts to walk off the tee box...and "Oh my god, how did I miss it."

Just a few steps down the fairway from where he had been doing the interviews was the droopy frumpy fir...just 25 years older.

He said it took him forever to stop laughing.

JohnV

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 07:32:31 PM »
Quite a few years ago when the US Public Links was played at Wailua on Kauai, a friend of mine named George Walker played in it.  The first hole is par 5 that doglegs right.  He got on the tee during his practice round and hit it down the 9th hole  which sits on the inside of the dogleg.  Tom Meeks was there and saw that and joked that they would have to get a tree to stop that.

The next day George got to the tee and Meeks was standing there with a big grin on his face.  There was a two foot high pineapple sitting right on the line George had hit it the day before. ;)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 08:06:16 PM »
Here...enjoy!  And yes, that's Mike.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 08:09:22 PM by Jay Flemma »

Steve Lang

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 12:05:23 AM »
 8)

That was a great event..  

The rules are there .. play by them.

p.s. did anyone ever realize that ABC's Jim Mckay loved a drink or two while broadcasting?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back