News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Moum

Jeff Brauer -- Tell me about Sand Creek Station
« on: April 03, 2007, 03:09:17 PM »
Jeff,

I've been looking at the online photos of Sand Creek Station, and I'm thinking my wife and I need to put it on our itinerary later this year.

We bought a weekend deal that includes Hutchinson hotels and green fee for four at Faldo's new course in a charity auction, and I was thinking Sand Creek might be a good addition to the trip.

I know it's always dangerous asking a parent about their kids, but I figured you might be the only one here who knows much about it.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jeff_Brauer

Re:Jeff Brauer -- Tell me about Sand Creek Station
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 06:47:09 PM »
Ken,

Having seen both, and played one (SC) I think its a nice alternative, and SC stands up well and is quite a good course for the $30-45 they charge depending on when you show up.  Despite its modest intentions, Golf Magazine did name it as one of their top ten new public courses in January, so someone likes it, based on early plays.

The land is (was ) flat as compared to the wonderful topo Faldo had to work with. Both had challenges of water tables just a few feet under the surface.  However, I think
There are many holes that pique the interst at SC.

Holes 1 and 2 run through the woods.  No. 2 is a par 5 that golfers seem to like the least, on account I wasn't able to move the creek in the second landing area and it forces for most an uncomfortable layup.  If you are back a bit, the green features a nice backboard, so fire away.

3-8 run through flat fields and housing, and I needed to beat character into them.  Holes 4 (par 5 with sideways Biarritz green) and 7-8 (long par 4) are most successful.  9 is a short par 4 with Fortress green loosely modeled after Ross' 14th at Franklin Hills near Detroit.

The back nine also runs through future housing.

10 is quite possibly the toughest hole out there, and I feel it looks more like something I would do for my old mentors than my own work.  

Things get intersting at 11 with a Gull Wing Green and center spline ridge in the fw, together with pinching trees just beyond driving distance, and pin position dictating tee shot side.  

12 is modeled after the Alps hole at NGLA and 13 is a good Redan.  14 is a long par 4 with an angled carry bunker and a small green open in front and protected at back. 15 has principles nose bunkers in the center of the fw, and a Mae West green.  16 is my version of the Road Hole when it was a par 5, complete with real railroad just behind the green, just as it was.

17 is a short par three with multiple tee angles and an A frame green and 18 is basically just a tough par 4 into the wind.

Short version - while the site is not spectacular, there are some interesting features to see for the gca buff.  Plus, I think it will be an overall enjoyable test for any golfer.  It has bent fairways, which is a bit unusual for that area of Kansas, but which enhances play, IMHO.  It has been in great shape every time I have visited and I have no reason to expect it won't be when you get there.

I hope you add it, and hope you enjoy.  BTW, for similar design, and more spectacular topo, you could venture north to Manhattan to play Colbert Hills, which GolfWeek says is currently the No. 1 public course in Kansas.  I suspect Faldo's will give it a run.  GD listed it as one of the 50 toughest in the US, but most reports say that if you keep the 7600 yard tees as merely a rumor, and play up, that its an enjoyable, Zoysia fw test.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ken Moum

Re:Jeff Brauer -- Tell me about Sand Creek Station
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 10:24:51 PM »
I've played Colbert, and I studiously avoided the back tees. In fact, I think I played the middle of five sets.

At that it was plenty of course for me.

It's only 50 miles from Topeka, where I live.

Hutch is a bit more of a hike, and I wanted to play a couple of courses down there. I probably could get us on Prairie Dunes, but one of the women in our group wouldn't enjoy it much.

Sand Creek sounds like it might be ideal.

Thanks,

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back