News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

10th at Wilshire
« on: April 02, 2007, 02:09:07 AM »
Just saw this par 3 on one of the old B&W Golf Channel Classics. Seems like a very cool hole. Any thoughts?

Overhead (it's the diagonal green in the middle):
http://tinyurl.com/28d46j

Michael Robin

Re:10th at Wilshire
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 02:23:21 AM »
It's a wonderful exacting hole that can play as a 9 iron to the front and a 6 iron to the back. It's a 40 yard green set on a diagonal to the tee. Wind is very swirly there and you must judge the distance and accuracy just right. Nasty little bunkers on both sides and a well designed fall-off behind and back left. You can make 2 if you execute properly or 5 if you don't.

The really great hole on that course is 18.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 02:28:36 AM by Michael Robin »

tlavin

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 10:06:05 AM »
This is a great hole on a great course that has sort of slipped under the radar in the past couple of decades.  The greens just might be the best I've ever putted.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 11:57:21 AM »
For some reason the tenth at WCC always reminded me of what Riviera would be like. Having played Wild Horse yesterday and specifically the 15th, the size, the angle and protection by well placed bunkering is what sets them apart as great holes.

I was once waiting for my member friend sitting at the outdoor snackshop table directly behind the tenth tee. A group was on the tee and this one golfer got up and was in his pre-ball routine. He lined-up, and from my angle I could see he was lined up perfectly. I thought to myself "this guys gonna make an ace". Well, the guy paused for a count or two, then backed off declaring how uncomfortable he felt. One of his partners sounded off about how well alligned he had looked. He steps back into position and swings and by god he made an ace. It was a very interesting moment.

The 11th hole is a great hole too. The greensite and fairway movement is as good as GCA gets. The 13th hole is a bit of a dog though. I understand they have cut down that one palm tree that was perfectly placed to mess with my old cut shot.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 11:59:05 AM by Adam Clayman »
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 12:02:39 PM »
Matt,
The 10th is actually a newer green, as the original 10th played more around the corner. From what I've researched it as added by Jack Croke, I think sometime in the 1930's.

The shaping of this green site is interesting. It's very Raynor-like, and today, there are many bunkers that looks to have been filled-in.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 12:29:44 PM »
Tommy, is that the corner to the right, near the exit road, or, to the left, toward the start of the left tree line on 11?

I'm curious about the Raynor comment, could you elaborate?  Relatived to it's size, I never thought Raynor.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 02:08:19 PM »
Adam, it wasn't so much that the hole looked like Raynor, the shaping of the green itself was more Raynor-like.

As far as location of the original 10th, yes, it was more near the access road, exactly on or near the 11th tee. The clubhouse used to be located directly above #16 & 18. Where the clubhouse is located now was the club's main parking lot and it looks as if after the fire (that destroyed the clubhouse) the hole was moved to it's current location and the tee, just out in front of the first floor door.

To all, Wilshire is/was an outstanding golf course, albeit one severely hampered by tree growth and uncaged green committees. Adam will attest to the day I first saw the place, I was completely enamored with it. As close to a links course as you could get inland and in Southern California. (in design and it's architecture)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 02:08:47 PM by Tommy Naccarato »

David Panzarasa

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 11:24:40 PM »
great par 3 on a great course. Actually, my favorite course in all LA. All the par 3's on the course are great.

Jim Bearden

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 11:30:32 AM »
I really like the course and that hole. A friend is a member so I've played a number of times but never hit the green. I think it is one of the best in the LA area. I can't think of a week hole on the course.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 12:26:06 PM »
David, I don't see how the 13th could be considered great. Even before the eyesore was built and the palm tree left was planted. I will admit it the 13th is difficult due to O.B.'s proximity.

What do you find compelling about the 13th?

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 12:49:15 PM »
Adam,
While not nearly as narrow and a bit more short, I find the 13th to be a similar tee shot as the 3rd of Winged Foot West, which is a pretty keen (by my standards at least) one-shot hole.

From memory the bunkers close the mouth or entrance to the green and if your not careful, in the spirit of baseball season, one can play a game of catch between those two bunkers if your in them.

David Panzarasa

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 01:58:18 PM »
Adam,
 the course as a whole is my favorite course in LA. Before getting to the par 3's, I love the majority of the approach shots on all the holes. Not a long course, and tests your shot making. The Par 3's to me are the best as a collection in the area (just in my opinion). I could easily go and play the par 3's over and over. What makes 13 a great hole? I am not sure, maybe just fits my eye nicely. I like how the bunkers guard the green and are pretty deep. I guess the apartments in the back certainly could go, but the hole itself is solid! Great, maybe I can take that back, but I do like it! The par 3's look innocent enough but really have some teeth to them.
  I guess, I find there no holes that I find boring or blah at the course, compared to its more famous neighbors.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 02:05:13 PM by David Panzarasa »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back