News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCrosby

Re:OT - Wodehouse Golf Books
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2007, 08:59:14 PM »
Peter -

The first stanza of A Foggy Day is equally good (from memory, so forgive mistakes):

"A foggy day in London town,
Had me low, had me down.
I viewed the morning with alarm,
The British Museum had lost its charm..."

Agreed, the Sinatra/Riddle version is definitive.

Bob

Mike Hendren

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2007, 11:35:10 AM »
Thanks gents.  Looks like I'll need to settle for the Omnibus despite the overlap.  Perhaps I was confused as The Clicking of Cuthbert was released in the U. S. as Golf Without Tears and The Heart of a Goof was released as Divots.  

Mike
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 11:35:25 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2007, 12:59:52 PM »
For those of you who may not be aware of the hostility afforded Plum Wodehouse for his wartime broadcasts from Germany, here is is an article explaining all.

See:

http://www.eclipse.co.uk/wodehouse/info_sheet_10.htm

Bob

BCrosby

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2007, 01:48:12 PM »
Thanks Bob. Very interesting.

I had not read before that the Foreign Office had exonerated PGW. I regret that they did not come forth and clarify the situation at the time. PGW's last years would have been less unhappy.  

"On 4 June, 1947, several months after the payments in question were known to all the authorities concerned, another member of the Foreign Office staff had commented, after receiving information from a member of his staff that had been requested by MI5:

"I feel bound to observe that it seems to me most regrettable that we should still be pursuing this matter more than two years after the end of the war in Europe. I do not think that anyone would seriously deny that ‘L’affaire Wodehouse’ was very much a storm in a teacup. It is perfectly plain to any unbiased observer that Mr Wodehouse made the celebrated broadcasts in all innocence and without any evil intent. He is reported to be of an entirely apolitical cast of mind; much of the furore of course was the result of literary jealousies.

Assuming that the present payments prove to have been innocuous I would suggest that in any reply we may make to Mr Wakefield we should take occasion to deprecate MI5’s apparent enthusiasm for the chase and to indicate that in our view this matter is trivial in itself and at the distance of time, cast off into oblivion . . . "

Bob
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 01:55:07 PM by BCrosby »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back