News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Re:Best use of an average piece of ground
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2007, 04:36:43 PM »
With some of the courses mentioned as average land most of you apparently have not been to Chicago.  We are called flatlanders for a reason.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

archie_struthers

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 11:13:14 AM »
 8) ;) :-[

Dear Steve,

Perhaps an apology is in order as we all have different definitons or conception of the spoken word. Average certainly is in the eye of the beholder.

My perception is just different than yours!

So sorry!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 11:13:38 AM by archie_struthers »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 05:18:40 PM »
Pine Tree was designed on dead flat land and is brilliant.  Maybe Pat Mucci can comment.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

George Pazin

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2007, 05:27:24 PM »
Most people on this thread seem to be giving nominations for poor pieces of ground, not average.

What always fascinates me is when a course is special, yet the terrain seems no different than many others in that region. Oakmont sure seems like basic western PA land, yet it is truly one of a kind.

Is the land for Merion particularly special? It looks like basic parkland to me, but the result is certainly special.

I was always fascinated by Tom D's description of St. George's in The Confidential Guide, the way he said it played along the hills and valleys, rather than the more traditional up and down. I'd love to see the course someday so that I can actually understand what he means!

I'd love it if some of the architects could nominate some courses that appeared to be on really special ground, but are actually quite difficult. Doonbeg and Old Head are two that seem to have been mentioned in this regard.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Dan Boerger

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2007, 06:36:08 AM »
Old Head is indeed on a magnificent piece of property with breathtaking views.  Merion's plot of land, while similar to the area around it, also has the quarry which come into play on 16, 17 and 18 -- a unique natural feature to be sure.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back