News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Pitner

Re:The Crossings at Carlsbad Pics (Really this time)
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2007, 02:17:45 PM »
I'm sorry, that looks awful.  I can't help but contrast it with the understated look of Woking (currently the subject of another thread).  Now, I know the terrains are markedly different, but it seems like this course is indicative of what's wrong with so many golf courses these days--they're built on land that isn't well-suited to golf and then they add superfluous and often unsightly bells and whistles to compensate for that.  $78 million?  That can't be accurate, can it?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2007, 02:20:42 PM »
Well Tom,

Unless I simply cannot see stuff that is there, it looks like that long path was built simple to allow a shorter bridge.

AHA!  OK, I get that.  Man if that is all that's going on here... that one has to drive all the way up that canyon to go over a shorter bridge... than put me down with Joe - that is brutal.  I just thought one was coming from somewhere else out of the picture to make that crossing.

TH

David Stamm

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2007, 02:22:52 PM »
Yes Tim, it is. It was at $35 mill. last summer and has now jumped to $78 mill and still climbing. A link courtesy of Geoff Shackelford.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/02/11/news/coastal/22_34_212_10_07.txt
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Brad Tufts

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2007, 02:23:22 PM »
I can't really tell whether a "wow" or "hmmm" is in order....maybe for now I'll just go with "whoa."
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2007, 03:27:32 PM »
Perhaps a better use of the $78 million would've been to have given 780 homeless people $100,000 each.

Or built 39 courses somewhere else

If you're not a golfer in San Diego you have to feel a bit duped.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Scott Witter

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2007, 03:27:34 PM »
Coming off the affordability and maintenence threads from Mark Fine, I can't help but think the bunkers here are gong to be VERY expensive to maintain!  Given what was clearly a challenging site to build a course, it just doesn't seem sensible to go overboard with bunker design...looks a lot more like a resort course rather than public, even if it is high end :(

John Nixon

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2007, 04:14:14 PM »

If you're not a golfer in San Diego you have to feel a bit duped.

Why, was any of my $ used to build it?

My sister and her family live in Carlsbad, you can see part of the course from their backyard. On my occasional visits to SoCal it has seemed to me there's a shortage of pubic courses in the immediate Carlsbad area. Probably not the best site for a course, but I doubt that there's many sites that are "good" left anywhere near Carlsbad proper that are remotely affordable.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 04:16:44 PM by John Nixon »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back