News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Lake Chabot GC is Reopening!
« on: February 07, 2007, 04:02:22 PM »
I received the following message in an email. Good new for Bay Area golfers!

"Help us improve Lake Chabot Golf Course prior to the Grand Reopening on April 7th!

Receive 50% off of a full golf cart rental!

Not valid weekends or holidays before 12 p.m.

Offer expires 12/31/07.

When you share your ideas and opinions at:

http://ngfsurvey.com/cgi/start.asp?SC=lakechabot

Help us better serve your golfing needs and enhance your golf experience!"

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tom Huckaby

Re:Lake Chabot GC is Reopening!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 05:13:52 PM »
Cool!

That is great news... I was worried.  I'll make it a point to return to Chabot come springtime.  Thanks!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 07:25:50 PM »
I'll be interested to see if they really did any significant work to the course since its been closed.   They probably saved a bunch of money in closing it for the last few months, I'm hoping they can make a serious financial go of it in the future.  I think its tough to compete against Metropolitan in this type of market.

John Keenan

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 10:53:02 PM »
Kyle will it be run by the same group as in the past?
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 01:45:32 AM »
Kyle will it be run by the same group as in the past?

According to the Lake Chabot GC website, it sounds like the City of Oakland is still shopping for a new managment group.

In their words:

"We would like to take this opportunity to thank Mr. Raymond Chester and all of the staff at Lake Chabot Golf Course for their hard work and dedication that enabled Lake Chabot to continue operation throughout the years. We are forever grateful.

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: The City has issued an RFQ for the management and operation of the course. Visit the Oakland Golf Website for more information."

I believe Mr. Chester (formerly of the Oakland Raiders) has been running the facility for several decades.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
If they are getting new mgmt, you can kiss those cheap green fees goodbye.  Sure conditions were a little iffy sometimes out there, but it was a great price to play, and some of the views are just awesome.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 09:21:54 PM »
The only specific "course improvement" measures that I've seen or heard refer to improving the cart paths and  couse drainage.

Personally, I hope they used this closure time to add some new back tees, stretching the course from 6000 to about 7800 yards. Not!!!

I'm sure the new management team will raise the green fees by 40% and tack on an additional, mandatory cart fee.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 11:20:39 AM »
I'm sure the new management team will raise the green fees by 40% and tack on an additional, mandatory cart fee.

They can't because of simple supply and demand.  When you have Metro, Alameda, Tilden and dozens of other local courses vying for business they have to come up with something else to get people to play it.  Lake Chabot will always fight with the fact that its so hilly a certain faction (mostly seniors)are not going to want to play it.

John Keenan

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 01:22:43 PM »
Joel

I agree the market will control how much they can charge and given the topography of Chabot they face some issues.

I really hope they have addresed their couse drainage problems. The last time I played there in the winter (quite a while ago) it was pretty bad. If they did some work in that area our recent weather will be a good test.

None the less it is good to see that it stayed a golf course.
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 01:28:08 PM »
Very true about the drainage at the course.  Lake Chabot was/is a April thru Novemeber course to play due to some hole being nothing short of a bog with plugged drives aplenty.

But talk about a course that could be an absolute local gem. And I don't think I've played another course with so many "fortress style" green complexes.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 03:14:57 PM »
I was being sarcastic. You're very correct in your assessment.

They can't because of simple supply and demand.  When you have Metro, Alameda, Tilden and dozens of other local courses vying for business they have to come up with something else to get people to play it.  Lake Chabot will always fight with the fact that its so hilly a certain faction (mostly seniors)are not going to want to play it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back