News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Andrew

Re:Lazer Leveling Tee's on a Classic Course ???
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2007, 06:20:19 PM »
Donnie,

Thnking back to the images, were the tie-ins around the tees the problem?

The reason I ask is that flat surfaces are everywhere on Golden Age courses, but everything usually sits gently on the grade.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 06:23:00 PM by Ian Andrew »

Donnie Beck

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2007, 06:28:40 PM »
Ian,

I think the older tees had more shoulders to them. The new tee's looked funny as the slope of the tee banks didn't transition well against the perfectly level surface. I am not sure if you know what I mean?

noonan

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2007, 07:43:51 PM »
Personally I like tee's as flat as possible.
However I can understand why some people like a bit of roll on the tee to help them to work the ball and of course it helps with drainage.
Last thing you want is a hanging lie on the tee.Some tee's are that bad.
Work the ball with an unlevel stance with a driver?

I have heard it all.

paul cowley

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2007, 08:28:54 PM »
Personally level is OK but I don't think that it has to be.
I would prefer a designated teeing area regardless of % slope, just put the tee markers out for the day, and if sometimes slopes go one way or sometimes slopes go another......well so what ???....to me its kind of like the weather or wind.
I think its one of those things that a player needs to deal with, from the first tee peg to the last cup.

I have nothing agin square cut tees BTW....but level is something else.

Hell...I wish that practice range tees weren't level either.

One doesn't get that much out of practice from only level lies.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 08:37:25 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Kris Spence

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2007, 10:18:05 PM »
Donnie, I think the term laser level is a bit of an oxymoron in that very seldom are the tees  perfectly level following the process.  I think laser smooth is a better term referring to the tee top itself,  as I tilt the tees at 1 to 1 1/2 % away from cart paths, side slopes for drainage and from back to front on downhill holes and front to back on uphill holes so that they follow the lay of the land better.  I adjust in the field by feel if I need to but my primary goals is a smooth tee with total usage of the intended surface area.

I prefer to build tees with the lowest profile possible , I think they should be almost indescernable from a distance, blending into their natural surrounds when possible.  I dislike strong shoulders on tees and try to avoid them as much as I can.  

By the way, the pin placements on the last day of the Pequot Open this year were phenominal, the strategy of Fishers was greatly enhanced  by all of those corner placements , it was a real treat.  You and your staff do a great job with the course.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 10:19:45 PM by Kris Spence »

ed_getka

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2007, 11:55:31 PM »
Tommy,
   What assertion did I make that was so perplexing? I really could care less about this whole subject, but Donnie asked for an opinion and I gave one. Perhaps it was an uninformed opinion, but then I never have claimed to be an expert.
   If laser-leveling is commonly used and makes the work cheaper and faster, and the end result looks good then I wouldn't have a problem with it. From what I see in health-care there is a lot of technology used that adds significant cost for negligible benefit. That is the sort of thing I have a problem with.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2007, 01:02:13 AM »
Kris - I like what you deliver.  We don't need a stimpmeter on our tee box.  But we do have to see the green from an elevated tee, and that back to front slope is very important.  

Wayne - you know what hole I mean !

Brian Phillips

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2007, 04:35:15 AM »
Here are two photos from a famous golf course in the Philly area...

and

Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

wsmorrison

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2007, 06:42:15 AM »
Oooh!  Oooh!  Brian, I know which course this is.  I didn't know you were over there.  

That shows the laser level very well.  How much does one of those doodads cost anyway? Are they rented?  Does it save time and money or is its main purpose to ensure that the tee is perfectly smooth?  I would rather not see tees perfectly smooth on a majority of courses, and not so on all classic era ones.

Bill,

I certainly know which tee you are referencing.

TEPaul

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2007, 08:34:58 AM »
"I don't want to stand on the side of a hill to hit the ball, but I like the option of looking for a slight downward lie for a fade or slight uphill lie for a draw."

Donnie:

Then here's what you should do. Just assume that all tees are dead "laser level" flat (actually they should be even flatter if they're lucky enough to be "laZer" leveled because a "lazer level" is a much more modern and technologically serious piece of equipment than a plain old "laser level") and that you don't need to go traipsing around looking for a slight downhill or slight uphill stance on them.

All you need to do is play golf with three socks. If you want a slight downhill fade lie put the third sock on your right foot. If you want a slight hook uphill lie put the third sock on your left foot. If you want a dead level lie put the third sock in your pocket or better yet in your golf bag.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2007, 08:44:31 AM »
And here all along I thought "The Legend of Three Sock Paul" was a fable.... :-[

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2007, 08:50:11 AM »
Yes, Joe - but like the very best of fables, the "Legend of Three Sock Paul" loses none of its power by being TRUE.

It's sort of like Santa Claus, but in reverse...sort of

Peter

mike_malone

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2007, 08:52:24 AM »
 It looks a little  " Aroniminky" to me.
AKA Mayday

TEPaul

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2007, 08:56:47 AM »
You think that's Legend?

You should see me play golf in my bare feet. I'm the only guy in the history of golf who can hit the otherworldly "hook-fade" shot. That's why I've always been so damn straight---it's the "lazer leveled" equalling out of two fundamental swing flaws.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2007, 09:37:45 AM »
Oooh!  Oooh!  Brian, I know which course this is.  I didn't know you were over there.  

That shows the laser level very well.  How much does one of those doodads cost anyway? Are they rented?  Does it save time and money or is its main purpose to ensure that the tee is perfectly smooth?  I would rather not see tees perfectly smooth on a majority of courses, and not so on all classic era ones.

Bill,

I certainly know which tee you are referencing.
Wayne,

It does not save time but it does make it very smoooooth.  They started work on the smoothing out that tee when I teed off on the 1st.  They were still at it when I cam around....

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Joe Hancock

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2007, 10:17:25 AM »
You think that's Legend?

You should see me play golf in my bare feet. I'm the only guy in the history of golf who can hit the otherworldly "hook-fade" shot. That's why I've always been so damn straight---it's the "lazer leveled" equalling out of two fundamental swing flaws.

You're quite the mythbuster today...now you tell me two wrongs DO make a right.....I need a beer...... and a hug.... :)

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

wsmorrison

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2007, 10:20:33 AM »
Brain,

So much for saving time, or so it would seem.  You play pretty fast, if not well  ;)

How much does that doohickey cost?  

TEPaul

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2007, 11:23:34 AM »
"You're quite the mythbuster today...now you tell me two wrongs DO make a right....."

Come on Joe, you can't be serious that you never knew that!

That's the way I've sunk about 90% of the important putts in my golf career.

I misread them, and then I mishit them in equal but opposite measure to the misread and they go right in the middle of the cup----eg two wrongs make a right.

I thought everyone knew that.

The only wrinkle I added into that reality is I actually did both on purpose and don't ever let anybody try to tell you that doesn't take a boatload of talent, Kimosabe!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back