News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Okula

National G.C. Victoria, Australia
« on: February 02, 2007, 02:29:47 PM »
I'm interested to hear from anyone with first-hand experience of this club and their impressions.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

ed_getka

Re:National G.C. Victoria, Australia
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 03:28:41 PM »
Steve,
    You want to contact Brian Walshe and Matthew Mollica. I will see them in May and can report back. In the meantime they can best answer any questions you have.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Steve Okula

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 03:34:29 PM »
Thanks Ed.

Who are Brian and Matthew and how do I contact them?
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 03:56:45 PM »
Steve,

From whose perspective are you seeking?

I played a game over the Moonah course last March with Paul Daley, a member and contributor here on GCA.com. You can contact him through the Full Swing Publishing website, or ask me any questions based on my day there.

TK

Scott Coan

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 05:07:03 PM »
Steve,

My club (Paraparaumu/NZ) has reciprocal rights to National and a group of about 10 of us took a trip over last year so I can give you an outsidsers perspective.  I reckon it is one of the finest golf facilities in the world.  3 courses with an immense cluhouse (something like 3 levels of underground parking).

Initially started out as a single course, now called the Old Course and designed by RTJ.  Not sure of the order but now 2 other courses have been added, the Ocean course by Peter Thomson and the Moonah by Greg Norman.

Old course is quite hilly and tight, built on the higher reaches of the property and carved out of the trees.  Can be quite severe if you cannot control your ball but very fun to play if you are on your game.  Most of the fairways were pretty severely contoured to gather your ball to the center so if you can shape your drive properly you can really get some good roll.  Has an incredible par3 that plays over a canyon and looks straight out to the Bass Straight.  Normally an 8 or 9 iron but on our day we were using 4 irons!  

The Ocean course seems to get universally panned but I did not see it as such.  We did play it in a 40mph rain storm so it was really a day to wage war against the elements so admittedly did not have much of a chance to really "play" the course.  We were , but I still had a blast.  The Moonah was everybodies favorite of the three by far.  That's the only comment I can make as I took a side trip to Barnbougle on the day so missed out on this one.

A private club with three distinct courses and an incredible clubhouse.  I would be very happy to be a member there.  It's about a 90 minute drive out Melbourne on the Mornington Peninsula so I think a lot of their membership is comprised of weekenders.  We at Paraparaumu are stoked to have playing rights at such a great facility.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 05:10:54 PM »
Not much to add to the last post, except that I found it a very friendly place. And my pal was very impressed that golf shoes could be worn pretty much anywhere in the clubhouse. Clearly Troon wasn't their model.

David_Elvins

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 06:21:12 PM »
The Old course (1988ish) is reputed to be one of RTJ JR's best works.

The Moonah course (2001ish) is probably Norman's best course.

The Ocean course is a dissapointing waste of some god land IMO.

Definetly worth checking out for the architecture of the first two courses.

The Moonah Course makes a fascinating comparison with Doak/Clayton's St Andrews Beach just down the road.  Two really good modern courses on similar terrain with completely different styles.  
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 12:08:58 AM »
Yes, clearly one of the best clubs anywhere. The Moonah course is an A+. The Old is very 80's and very fun, over an amazing piece of land. There are some of the most dramatic shots you'll ever play spaced out over that course. Then there's the Ocean. The land is again extraordinary but there is an inordinate number of blind or otherwise awkward shots. It's not as exceptional as it could be. Out of every ten, it's 5 Moonah, 4 Old, 1 Ocean.

All things considered there are few places where I'd rather spend time. It's a golf playground of a quality matched by few places anywhere.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 06:38:06 AM »
I've been a member at The National for 8 years or so, and Brian Walshe has been a member there for perhaps 15 years?

Happy to answer any questions from those who are curious about the Club and it's courses, and more than willing to assist anyone thinking of visiting.

Most of the posts here are right on the mark. I would add Scott C that the Old Course fairways are not too tight. They look more intimidating / narrow than they really are, but measure quite wide. They are often very penal when missed.

The Old course is due to have its irrigation system upgraded this year, and will be out of play for a short time mid year.

It's a joy playing down there, and indeed a wonderful thing that our three courses are all distinctly different. With a membership of approx 2200, there's something there for everyone. As much as the architecturally critical seem to loathe Ocean, there's a band of members who prefer it over the other two courses.

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back