News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

OSU Scarlet Thank You
« on: January 10, 2007, 04:43:24 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDTtSiL7y40&mode=related&search=

Very cool traditions from PSU's neighbor outwest. While the drill is the MOST OVERRATED in terms of difficulty (it's playing follow the leader, not hard for a good marching band) Le Regiment is a great song and the tradition is deep.

I still prefer a good flipping drum major.  ;D

Yes, that is Nicklaus dotting the I, which is the highest athletic honor the school can bestow. I imagine this was somewhat catalyzed by his renovation work at OSU Scarlet?

How's that going, by the way?

Billsteele

Re:OSU Scarlet Thank You
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 05:27:40 PM »
Thanks for posting this Kyle but dotting the "i" is not an athletic honor. It is an honor voted on strictly by the band. There have only been a handful of non-band members who have been given the honor: Bob Hope, Woody Hayes, Jack Nicklaus and a gentleman who was the ticket director for umpteen years. You can't request it or demand it, no matter how much work you do on the golf course.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 05:35:04 PM »
Thanks for posting this Kyle but dotting the "i" is not an athletic honor. It is an honor voted on strictly by the band. There have only been a handful of non-band members who have been given the honor: Bob Hope, Woody Hayes, Jack Nicklaus and a gentleman who was the ticket director for umpteen years. You can't request it or demand it, no matter how much work you do on the golf course.

Bill,

Thanks for the clarification. I did not know that the band voted on stuff like that, but I did know it was something bestowed and not something that can be requested or demanded.

I was simply thinking that maybe Nicklaus's career and work has been more visible because of the OSU Scarlet stuff.

And hey, at least the band looked good the other night.

Billsteele

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 06:03:16 PM »
Kyle-The dual Script Ohios and the first 16 seconds of the game were the highlights for me.

I was at the Minnesota game and it appeared that Jack was truly moved by the honor. After halftime, he posed for a picture near the South stands with the entire sousaphone section...a nice moment.

By the way, the band might have been on to something. At halftime of the BCS title game, they played selections from the movie "Titanic."
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 06:09:27 PM by Billsteele »

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 06:26:41 PM »
No golf connection to this one...from the BCS Championship game:

Script Ohio photo from the BCS Championship
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tim Rooney

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 07:01:11 PM »
I personally enjoyed the Scarlet changes and consider as 21st century updates. Major Distance lengthening : #2,4,11,14(p4/5)-------7,444yds(7,200).#4 has been dramatically changed from a rather average/short par/5 w/diagonal 60 degree false 1/3 green to a dogleg Rt w/creek circling Rt greenside(+55yds).#18 is the most controversal w/championship tee behind #17 green to protect from Duke athlete golf team.Previous NCAA Tourney yielded a Duke player flying his tee ball into the greenside trap!! I prefer the changes , however, (2) excellent, previous collegiate players don"t ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back