News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank Pont

New photo viewer for Golfarchitecturepictures.com
« on: January 07, 2007, 05:03:27 PM »
I have just made a trial with a new photo viewer package for the pictures on Golfarchitecturepictures.com and I am keen to get your feedback if it is an improvement over what I was using so far.

Look at www.golfarchitecturepictures.com/Pages/usa-michigan.html . The new flash package works under Kingsley Club, the old package under Crystal Downs.

Navigation is through clicking directly on the thumnails, or by hoovering over the large picture's right or left sides with your cursor. You can scroll the thumbnails by pressing the large arrow(s) under the thumbnails.

You can still download pictures in the new package by clicking on Zoom in the left bottom of the screen.

Thanks for any feedback.

Guy Nicholson

Re:New photo viewer for Golfarchitecturepictures.com
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 05:08:37 PM »
The new one is great, Frank. I go to the site a fair amount and definitely prefer this interface. Thanks!

Gary_Mahanay

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 05:21:54 PM »
Frank,

The new format is pretty cool, but I still like the old way of how the pictures take up the whole screen.  Your pictures of Wild Horse are great and seeing them on a full screen brings out a lot of detail.  So count my vote for the old way.

Gary

Philip Gawith

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 05:22:41 PM »
Frank - I agree that the new version is better.

A slightly different point for you to consider: on the one or two occasions I have been to this site (eg to look at Dutch courses) I have been daunted by the number of pictures per course. If someone gives me 20 pictures of a course to look at, I will probably look at them all. But if they give me 100 plus, I will likely give up and not look at more than a few of them.

I wonder if you should not consider doing a top 20 on each course, with a link to the balance of the pictures for those who are really keen. Perhaps I do not understand your audience, but certainly this would suit me better!

ed_getka

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 05:32:17 PM »
Frank,
   I prefer the new format. Thanks for taking the time to put something like this together. Is there any reason the holes are not labeled? I know these courses very well, so I know what I am looking at in this case.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 05:34:07 PM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Nick Church

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 07:23:50 PM »
An incredible site.  The Cypress Point pictures are fantastic.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 07:29:26 PM »
I agree, the new version is much better
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 07:30:21 PM »
Frank,

As I've mentioned in the past, I think the site is excellent and great resource.

On topic, the "old way" of viewing photos is defintely inferior to the set-up with the Kingsley Club. For sure.
jeffmingay.com

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 07:58:18 PM »
I prefer the new way of viewing the pictures as well.  Great Site!!!  Hope to see more additions soon!!!
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Tim Bert

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 09:29:09 PM »
I like the new format.  Great pics!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 10:21:55 PM »
Frank, maybe I'm not using the new method properly, but I like the old one better.  The photos are bigger in the old one, making it necessary for me to use the scroll bar to see all the photos.  But, the quality is better, IMHO.  Your Wild Horse series is the best I've ever seen, and the most accurate depictions.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David Stamm

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 10:48:33 PM »
I like the new version Frank. Your website is just wonderful! Great photos!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jim Nugent

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 12:06:19 AM »
New version is more convenient.  Old version has higher quality.  

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 12:21:54 AM »
I tend to lean towards the Kingsley format over the CD format. Having the moderate size image to go through and then still zoom when you want to see more, works best in my opinion.

Good job.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Frank Pont

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 08:07:12 AM »
Thanks for the swift feedback.

I think I will move to the new format, but use less thumbnails (3 colums, 6 rows) which will allow for a larger main picture.  I export the pictures at 1024 x 800 which should be ennough. My guess is some of the guys for whom the main picture is small still have lower resolution screens (1024 x 800). The site is best veiwed with 1280 x 1024 or 1600 x 1200 (which I have myself).

Gary: if you want detail on a specific picture you can press Zoom.

Philip: great idea, but to be honest I just don't have the time to do that, I already don't have the time to put up all the photo's Ithat are still in backlog. One of the main reasons I am considering this package is because it is freeware so that I could ask people to do the prework on their pictures themselves before they send stuff to me. Then they could make a light and a full version. Also my main interest in starting the site was as much detail as possible, so we probably have two segments out there.

Ed: on labeling, same thing, I just don't have the time to write down which bunker green tee the picture shows. However I always try to make pictures of a course in sequence, so if you count down the the greens you should have a fairly accurate idea of where you are.

Paul: there should be no differences in quality between the photo's. The Kingsley foto's were quite poor in quality (winter, low light) before being processed.

I will also include the old HTML style phot viewer in full size, see:

www.golfarchitecturepictures.com/Web%20Galleries/USA/Michigan/Kingsley%20Club/index_html.html

Ian Andrew

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 08:24:48 AM »
Frank,

I've been recommending your site for quite some time, the photos are excellent. The idea is even better.

New format is much easier to use.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 08:30:30 AM »
Frank,

The new format is wonderful except for one thing.

It seriously pains me that I haven't had a chance to get up to Kingsley and play since 2005.  

Thanks for the wonderful website.

David Sneddon

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 09:13:27 AM »
Frank,

Much prefer the new viewer.

I think it would be an excellent idea to ask contributors to size and annotate pictures prior to sending them to you, particularly Hole #'s for those of us not familiar with some (most) of the courses.

Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back