News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Kyle Philips and Dundonald
« on: December 17, 2006, 08:41:17 PM »
Who has played the second course at Loch Lomond, the Dundonald?
Despite its dumb name (Trump like actually) it looks nice a nice course from the website.
I was just touring the Loch Lomond course when I noticed another course of theres in which I had not heard of.

Is it a nice course?
As good as the original course at Loch Lomond?

And, what are some good works of Kyle Philips?
I cannot say I am too familiar with the name.

Chris Moore

Re:Kyle Philips and Dundonald
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 09:42:14 PM »
He did a pretty decent course called Kingsbarns.   ;)

I played Dundonald in June of '06 and found it to be fun.  Big and brawny is how I would describe it, particularly in contrast to the Irvine Golf Club and Western Gailes, which I played the previous two days.  Irvine and WG are quaint by comparison, and I don't mean at all to belittle either course (WG is my personal favorite links course on the West coast of Scotland).  There are a couple of blind shots, which I like, a particularly brutal par 3 hole of 200+ with a huge yawning bunker in front on the second nine, and a couple of classy par 5 holes that do require three shots.  

I liked Dundonald -- even the dumb name .    ;D

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 10:07:48 PM »
Jordan -

Point of clarification - Isn't Dundonald a links course on the Ayrshire coast that is affiliated with the Loch Lomond club?

I believe there is a 2nd Loch Lomond club under construction (designed by Nicklaus, with input from Lyle Anderson) on Loch Lomond, but that is not the Dundonald course.

There is also a new course on Loch Lomond (the Carrick course, designed by Doug Carrick) that is affiliated with the De Vere hotel.

DT  

Michael Dugger

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 10:16:46 PM »
Nice article on it in a recent Links magazine

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jordan Wall

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 11:15:31 PM »
Jordan -

Point of clarification - Isn't Dundonald a links course on the Ayrshire coast that is affiliated with the Loch Lomond club?

DT  

Yes, I saw some pictures of the course through a mini accident.
I went to Loch Lomond's website to take a course tour and they had a tour of the Dundonald as well.

Here is a link:
http://www.lochlomond.com/main.html

Michael,

Do you happen to have a link for that?
Can I find it on the Links website?
Thanks.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 11:27:45 PM »
Jordan -

Loch Lomond and Dundonald are affiliated and have a common membership, but they are located 60-80 or more miles apart. As I mentioned in my prior post, a 2nd Loch Lomond club course is being built on the shores of Loch Lomond, adjacent to the 1st course.

If you are interested in learning a bit about Kyle Phillips, pick up a copy of Ian MacFarlane Lowe's excellent book "Scottish Golf Links - A Photographer's Journey."  Kyle Phillips contributes a number of essays on aspects of GCA in this book.

DT  

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 11:55:55 PM »
In the PNW, the only Phillips design I know of is his work at Heron Lakes / Great Blue. He was on staff with RTJ2.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 03:39:14 AM »
Dundonald is the town where the course is in not a silly trump.com name :)

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 05:13:40 AM »
Jordan and Jeff (and anyone else),

If you visit http://www.kylephillips.com/courses.html you will surely be impressed with the work that he's done...

Gary Slatter

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 10:23:00 AM »
I didn't get to play Dundonald but my friends told me its great fun, fits the location (Scotland) better than Loch Lomond course. They are members.
The Carrick Course next to Loch Lomond also is more fitting, i.e. you know you're not in Kansas.
Kyle Philips is brilliant, Kingsbarns is great!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Eric Franzen

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 01:46:54 PM »

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 02:16:24 PM »
Article from February, 2005 on Dundonald:

www.pgatour.com/story/8170307

Robert Thompson

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 02:28:15 PM »
Actually Kyle has one of the best golf architect web sites in the biz. I'd have thought someone of the so-called "Internet generation," like young Jordan, would understand how to use a google search before posting a question to the board that has already been discussed many, many times.

Kingsbarns is a great course and I find Kyle easy and friendly to deal with.

I wrote a story about him a few years ago that is posted of Kyle's website. You can find it:

http://www.kylephillips.com/news_kb_renown.html
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

SPDB

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 03:21:38 PM »
Here's a question.

Throughout my travels this summer in Scotland, I usually tried to play with locals (including the gracious hosts FBD and Rich). These two gentlemen notwithstanding, I generally found that many of the Scots i came across seemed to view Loch Lomond as the sort of gold standard.

What's up with that?

Jordan Wall

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 07:16:57 PM »
Here's a question.

Throughout my travels this summer in Scotland, I usually tried to play with locals (including the gracious hosts FBD and Rich). These two gentlemen notwithstanding, I generally found that many of the Scots i came across seemed to view Loch Lomond as the sort of gold standard.

What's up with that?

Perhaps they like the isolation and the fact it is a private club on the water and the course is usually not packed.

That is just a guess, and I am judging the course would not be too packed on any given day because it is private.
But, I do think it is located right by a mountain and the hole course is very beautiful and tranquil.
I honestly do not know but that would be my guess.

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 08:31:57 PM »
SPDB -

Loch Lomond moved very quickly up the ranks to be rated as one of the 10 best courses in GB&I. It is in a beautuful spot, is on TV every year hosting a Euro Tour event and could very well be the best conditioned course in Britain. The primary downside is that it is located in one of the wettest micro-climates in central Scotland.

The exposure of Augusta on TV every Masters has created AGNC as the "ideal" of a golf course (for better or worse) in the minds of much of the US golfing public. My guess is that the some thing is taking place relative to Loch Lomond in Britain.

Remember, aside from the (British) Open, virtually no other Euro Tour events are played on links courses. I would also hazard a guess that the majority of club golf in Britain is played on inland/parkland courses. It is a mistake to assume that the majority of golf in Britain is played on firm & fast links courses.

Loch Lomond could rightfully be viewed as one of the most impressive inland courses in Britain.

You might also be surprised with how many golfers in Britain like playing their vacation golf on courses in Florida and at Myrtle Beach!  

DT      

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 09:20:15 AM »

Remember, aside from the (British) Open, virtually no other Euro Tour events are played on links courses. I would also hazard a guess that the majority of club golf in Britain is played on inland/parkland courses. It is a mistake to assume that the majority of golf in Britain is played on firm & fast links courses.

DT      

This is true in England and Wales but in Scotland and Ireland over half of golf is played on links
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 09:21:15 AM by Matthew Hunt »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back