News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RSLivingston_III

Omaha CC
« on: December 17, 2006, 09:04:03 PM »
Built in 1925 , designed by Wayne Stiles & John Van Kleek
Perry Maxwell (1935) and Dave Bennett (1983) have done redesigns on this course.
I heard that Keith Foster is doing a restoration back to the Maxwell version of the course.
Does anyone know of the status of the work?
Any opinions of the course? Are there any comparable features to Prairie Dunes?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Jason Hines

Re:Omaha CC
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 09:36:16 PM »
Hi Ralph,

The last rumor I heard here in Omaha is that next summer it should be ready for play.  It looks like from the road that most of the major work has been completed and it looks very, very good.  This is from the road when I run by on Sundays, someone else closer to the project obviously would have more info.

J.

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 09:56:58 PM »
Randy at Classic Golf in Omaha gave me a little heads up on the project. I am assuming a Perry Maxwell restoration might be an important thing. Also curious what is known of Keith Foster's work.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 09:23:07 PM by Ralph_Livingston »
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Gene Greco

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 11:36:13 PM »
   Are you referring to Randy Jensen the National Hickory Golf Champion?
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 09:12:10 AM »
A Maxwell restoration would be quite a feat.

Especially, considering that he only worked on 6 or so holes on the course when he was there.  

From what I understand they brought in Foster to try and create a Maxwell type of course out of what was already there.  I'm not sure how this would be done, but it could be interesting to see.  

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 09:26:44 PM »
  Are you referring to Randy Jensen the National Hickory Golf Champion?
Yes, he owns Classic Golf one of the larger golf shops in Omaha.
       Our Fearless Leader

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 09:29:58 PM »
A Maxwell restoration would be quite a feat.

Especially, considering that he only worked on 6 or so holes on the course when he was there.  

From what I understand they brought in Foster to try and create a Maxwell type of course out of what was already there.  I'm not sure how this would be done, but it could be interesting to see.
The bio on the course says that Maxwell redid the course in 1935. No mention what Dave Bennett did to Maxwell's work.
Was there nothing left of Maxwell's work for Foster to restore?
       Our Fearless Leader

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 08:24:12 AM »
Maxwell only worked on, depending on whom you talk to, six to eight holes on the course.  

To imply that a "Maxwell restoration" is the scope of the project also implies that he did a complete redesign of the layout and that has been altered considerably since his time at Omaha CC.  Neither of which have happened.

I would guess that most of Maxwell's work was still there, as he rerouted a few holes and moved a few greens.  So that could be "restored" if that was even needed.  But as I said in my earlier post, the thought process was to take and what Maxwell did and extend that approach to the entire course.  Based on Foster's work at Colonial and Southern Hills, they must have felt that he was qualified to present such a course.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 09:01:29 AM »
Ralph,

Maxwell worked there in 51-52. It was his last project, and I don't think he lived to see the greens grassed.

He was hired to do a few new holes, but later was asked to rebuild a few greens as well as part of the project.

The bigger question about club is whether its Langford (their belief) or Stiles (Ron Whitten's belief as he has an ad from Stiles touting it as one of his designs)

Also, I have seen some aerial photos from the 1960's.  There were some cool old timey stuff that was taken out, particularly what appears to be a reverse slope dell/punchbowl par 3.

I have a copy of the Dave Bennet report at the office, but I don't think he did much there other than that report. As I recall, OCC once had a pro who considered himself a designer, and I believe he did a lot of the work there over the fifties and sixties, uncredited.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back