News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

W.H. Cosgrove

Re:Golf Digest Best New Private/Public 2006
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2006, 09:41:12 PM »
No blind shots at Osprey meadows?  1, 2 & 4 are all blind.  I spoke with Dir of golf Altman and he was very aware that the start had some problems.  That was over a year ago.  

I am pleased Osprey and Tamarack are getting a mention, with the opening of Jug Mountain(I haven't played the newest nine) and the delightful Whitetail, the Long Valley should be a golf destination.  

In the spirit of full disclsure, I own property in the valley.  Anyone interested in a lot?  

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 02:24:17 AM »
 Part of it may have been that it had been WAY overwatered.  The holes through the trees (particularly 1 par 5 on the back) had no grass on it.

Yeah, the course was pretty soggy when I played it too.  Apparently the owner was putting pressure on the golf staff to open sooner that the course was ready because he was wanting to see some revenue after shelling out as much cash as he had.  They should have waited until at least the fall if not this spring to open up.

As much as I liked it, I am surprised it finished #1.  I thought Bandon Trails would be a lock.

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 02:28:27 AM »
No blind shots at Osprey meadows?  1, 2 & 4 are all blind.  I spoke with Dir of golf Altman and he was very aware that the start had some problems.  That was over a year ago.  

I am pleased Osprey and Tamarack are getting a mention, with the opening of Jug Mountain(I haven't played the newest nine) and the delightful Whitetail, the Long Valley should be a golf destination.  

1, 2, and 4 blind?  What tee box do you play from?  When we played the tips I didn't find those holes to be blind at all but it may be different from the other boxes.

I haven't played either 9 at Jug Mountain.  How do you like the 9 that you've played?  

You picked a beautiful area to own property.  This summer was my first trip to McCall and I was very impressed with the beauty and setting of that place.  My cabin is in West Yellowstone.  Great place . . . lousy golf!

Casey Wade

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 08:55:44 AM »
I'm kinda surprised to see Redstone's new Tournament course in the best private.  There are no real "great" holes and I know by talking with some of their golf professionals that the touring pros would rather play the member course over the tournament course.
Some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2006, 09:26:27 AM »
The average initiation fee for the best privates is close to $100,000.

This is an expensive game.

peter_mcknight

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2006, 01:48:28 PM »
Does anybody have any additional information on what was done at Stanwich?  The article stated the 17th moved back from 568 to 601 yards, but didn't mention much else.  What other holes had yardage added to them and what other changes were made?  Also, were the Gordons, or anybody else associated with the original design, consulted on the renovation?

Brian Cenci

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2006, 03:08:03 PM »
I'm real suprised that Greywalls was not on the over $75 list.  It's a top notch course that is very very unique.

-Brian

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2006, 03:24:38 PM »
Similarly, Golf Magazine thought enough of Lederach to include it in the "Top 10 New courses you can play", which includes public and resort courses in EVERY price range.

Golf Digest didn't even mention it as a value course.   Perhaps they got hypnotized by those stripes on the "Best" value course?  ;)

Jim Franklin

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2006, 05:19:02 PM »
Brian C -

Greywalls was on last year's "best new" list.
Mr Hurricane

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2006, 11:17:47 PM »
Bill the original nine at Jug Mountain are a bit plain.  The newer 9 is built on much more interesting property that crosses over a meadow.  The newer holes looked very good when I saw them early in the growin.  I didn't manage to get over there this summer but hope to make a trip next year.

I didn't play from the tips.  Typically I look for the 6500 to 6700 yards.

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 01:03:30 PM »
I'm kinda surprised to see Redstone's new Tournament course in the best private.  There are no real "great" holes and I know by talking with some of their golf professionals that the touring pros would rather play the member course over the tournament course.

You're right, there really wasn't anything "great" about the Redstone Tournament course but for me the Member course isn't any better.  They both had their pros and cons but I think the Tournament course is a little better while the Member course is tougher.  One thing I was really suprised about was the Tournament course wasn't setup that great for crowds and that was the sole purpose of the course.  It is really too bad that Carlton Woods couldn't have taken over after it left the Woodlands, both the CW courses are great.

ed_getka

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 01:21:22 PM »
These lists, as always, amuse and dismay me to no end. I haven't seen any of the courses ahead of Ballyneal, but from what I have been told and read about Ballyneal, #6 is a headscratcher.
   Callippe Preserve is right down the street from my house and it can't even sniff the likes of The Mines in Michigan. Admittedly I am a big fan of Mike DeVries, but Callippe doesn't belong on ANY list. Actually as a resident in the afternoon Callippe becomes an attractive alternative to beating balls on the range. It costs me about $12 I think.
    It is always interesting to hear about other courses though, and to see just how differently most of the ratings people view courses than we do here.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Michael Hayes

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2006, 01:21:39 PM »
I must say that Osprey Meadows at Tamarack Resort was one of the most disappointing golf courses I have played in recent memory.  For it to eclipse Bandon Trails is LAUGHABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live and work about 35 miles from Tamarck Resort, and feel that any other course in the area would be a more worthwhile golf experience.  The turf conditions were as bad as any I have seen and my experience in turf tells me that their problems are far from over.  The mid to high handicapper will lose at least a half dozen balls in a round.  To walk the golf course would be next to impossible (over 475 acres were used in the building of the course).  

That being said, I really hope that Tamarck is well received.  The McCall area has the potential to become a destination area much like the Flathead Valley in MT.  The more golfers that come to Tamarack, the more the areas other nice courses will be discovered.  

MH

P.S.

W.H. Cosgrove, we seem to live similar lives, I moved from Kitsap County to the New Meadows area in April. You are welcome for golf May thru October.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 01:30:23 PM by Michael Hayes »
Bandonistas Unite!!!

ed_getka

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2006, 01:23:33 PM »
Have any of you guys checked out the Harbottle course in Redmond, WA. I am always interested in hearing about Harbottle's work as I am a big fan of Stevinson Ranch.

"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Sean Leary

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2006, 01:53:22 PM »
Have any of you guys checked out the Harbottle course in Redmond, WA. I am always interested in hearing about Harbottle's work as I am a big fan of Stevinson Ranch.

Ed,

I think you mean Redmond, OR, Juniper Hills.  The Oregon GCA guys that have played it speak very highly of it...

Gold MT up here is quite good and a Jordan Wall favorite.

ed_getka

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2006, 04:22:48 PM »
Sean,
  Right you are. OR it is. Gold MT seems to get mixed reviews. What are the strengths of the course in your opinion?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 04:23:08 PM by ed_getka »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2006, 12:11:41 AM »
The A at Idlewild being #5 tells me the GD guys need to rethink their whole process. It is not the best anything other than best new course in St. Mary Parish, Louisiana. I am shocked it made any list of 5 or more.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2006, 10:37:05 AM »
Tiger -

You are getting into a category that does not have a lot to choose from. In fact, the original category was under $50 and that had to be raised because there were no options. That is a shame, but that is what is going on in golf.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back