News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci_Jr

Re:World's Best Sub 130 yard par 3 holes...
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2006, 05:34:13 PM »
# 13 at Pine Tree is as good, if not better than most.

The narrow diagonal green, the surrounding bunkers and
[size=4x]THE WIND[/size]

William King

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2006, 10:07:29 PM »
#16 Cobblestone GC, Acworth GA

Adam Clayman

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2006, 11:16:00 PM »
Dan, You ask a great question. Since I'm a Pebble Beach bum, I can tell you my reasons.

The seventh at Pebble Beach is quintessential because it's many things. Much more than it's full 107 yards downhill, essentially surrounded by bunkers. It's character ranges from the beauty that encompasses you, to the tricky beast mother nature can be. Being out there on the point, which is where the teeing ground looks down on, is easily one of the most spiritual places for golfers. The majority of people who pass are easily hypnotized, rendering the golf secondary. Throw in a tricky green to read and you have the kind of place someone, anyone who has a sense for the moment, will relish every nano-second of and yern for another go.

Thats what makes that hole great.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Michael Robin

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2006, 01:33:10 AM »
And is there a scarier shot in golf with a sand wedge in your hand than the 7th at Pebble? I've stood on that tee 30 times and hit the green maybe 10. Then again, I've also had 5 iron in my hand there too a couple of those times.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2006, 02:42:27 AM »
Having played quite a few of the above mentioned holes, there is a triumvirate of elite ones--Pebble, Troon, and Engineers.  Wannamoisset is an awesome hole, but slightly below the great three.  Century #13 is 158 yds, but plays very Augusta 12ish.  I think Fairfield #4 is just barely over 130, but is an all world short par 3.  Bayonne #5 is awesome, but is @ 135yds.  Same with Plainfield #11.  Fazio built a great one at Pelican Hill.  

Gerry B

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2006, 06:41:59 PM »
my fave list would include:

9 at myopia - what is a few yards - it is under 130 yds from the middle tees

12 at atlantic city cc

13 at merion east

12 at shoreacres

the postage stamp

Mark Arata

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2006, 07:57:31 PM »
5th at Bandon Trails?

New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Andy Troeger

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2006, 08:04:23 PM »
#16 at Wolf Run...read Ran's course profile for more info. Great positioning on the course after four brutally tough holes, not to mention its a great little hole in its own right. Its also the picture wallpaper on my cell phone :)

David Stamm

« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2006, 08:38:16 PM »
  Fazio built a great one at Pelican Hill.  

Robert, hopefully the par 3 you're talking about survives the reworking that's going on there.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

C. Squier

« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2006, 09:35:25 PM »
#16 at Wolf Run...read Ran's course profile for more info. Great positioning on the course after four brutally tough holes, not to mention its a great little hole in its own right. Its also the picture wallpaper on my cell phone :)

I'll second that one.....Wolf Run is my home away from home.  That little sucker gives me the shakes just thinking about it.  Just after you think you're in the clear after 12-15, you need to hit a great short iron.  

CPS

Tim Bert

« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2006, 10:07:14 PM »
And for my homer call, Ballyneal #3 is 145 but at 3700 feet elevation.  One of these days I'll learn to post pics.

I love the different look from in front and behind.  Bunkers everywhere, but they all disappear when looking back at the tee.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2006, 10:26:48 PM »
I will take 11 at Camargo, 14 at The Honors Course, I will third the Wolf nomination. Love that hole. 14 at Holston Hills from the rough would make it. ;D I also liked 16 at Victoria National, but it might be too long. Also, I liked #2 at Country Club of Hudson a lot.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 10:28:15 PM by Glenn Spencer »

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2006, 07:48:22 PM »
Finally, someone who agrees with me about 9 at Caledonia!

I liked the green and surrounds very much at #9 Caledonia, it's a lovely little hole, but it should have played in the other direction!

I mentioned that after the recent Dixie Cup when we played there a couple of weeks ago.  

You walk off the back of the 8th green, hike a hundred yards or so to the tee, play the hole, and then once again hike that hundred yards to the 10th tee.

I have no idea why it doesn't play in the opposite direction.  I suppose, in hind sight, that it could have something to do with the prevalent use of carts there.  :-\
One thing worth considering vis-a-vis the design of #9 at Caledonia might have been the concern that if the hole were reversed, shots hit over the green might hit cars traversing the driveway.  Whenever I've been down that roda, turning the corner and seeing #9 in front of me makes me even more excited for my round.

It sounds like a stretch, but given the high average ability of players, there wil be many who skull their wedge shots on #9.  Better if they hit their wayward shots into the trees and bushes than potentially into the passengers' seat of an approaching car.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Karl Bernetich

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2006, 08:32:32 PM »
I would not call it "one of the best" buy any stretch of the imagination ... but my question is would it be a better hole of the course was dated from the 20's rather than a "modern course."

No description of Inniscrone can be complete without making reference to the controversial 5th, a 105-yard drop-shot hole to a wide but quite shallow green that runs away in spots and leads to a ten-foot drop behind the green. Its detractors point to the fact that it is all too possible for a crisply-struck pitch to land on the downslope on the front center part of the green and finish in the deep bunker beyond the green, leading to a score of 5 in many cases. However, it is interesting to hear a table full of golfers describe their strategies for the hole – some will deliberately play toward the front bunker and take their chances getting up and down, many will just play to the deeper and flatter right third of the green, while others have enough confidence in their accuracy and distance-control that they will go after the hole no matter where it is. To the authors, any hole that can generate such debate as to the best way to play it can't be but so bad. Toss in the fact that the shot is only with a lob wedge or a small sand iron, and there just isn't cause for calls of unfairness.

Andrew Thomson

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2006, 07:50:22 AM »
ome Down Under candidates - 7th at Royal Melbourne West,
7 west is closer to 150 yards.  I hazard a gess it may sneak under 130 yards from the ladies tee's, but I'm not certain  ;)

Mike Benham

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2006, 12:19:44 AM »
Third hole on Olympic's Cliff's Course (par 3 course).

Missed this nomination first time around ... I will also nominate the 8th hole on the Lake course, 130 from the blues and 123 from the whites.

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2006, 09:00:51 AM »
I'll throw another one into the mix...what about the 12th at Shoreacres?  127 from the tips...

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 09:02:24 AM by Evan_Fleisher »
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back