News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

Re:My favourite designer is......
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2006, 10:51:05 AM »
Macdonald/Raynor.  Yale is the only one of their courses I've played, but my god what a course.

handicap: around 9

TaylorA

« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2006, 11:17:50 AM »
I have a really difficult time picking between Dye and Doak...

Dye because:
1. His courses are intriguing and always fun to play;
2. He took time to explain several aspects of golf course architecture to me on two occasions.

Doak because:
1. His book, "The Anatomy of a Golf Course", was the first I bought on the subject and ignited a passion for architecture;
2. His writings have helped me understand and appreciate architecture on a much more detailed level.

I can't wait to play a Doak course.

Age 31, HC 12 and my putter.

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2006, 01:27:36 PM »

Donald Ross- I belong to two Ross clubs.

Karl Bernetich

« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2006, 08:55:34 PM »
Do I have to pick a designer or can I select a "style."  I didn't see Bobby Weed mentioned but The Golf Course at Glen Mills is one of my favorite.  Love Flynn but can only judge it on Rolling Green and Manor CC, PHL Cricket.  LOVE Findlay but that's the course I grew up on.  All of these courses require you to think off the tee – not just pull driver.  Each is target based with small greens.  Liked the couple of Ross courses I’ve played.  Liked C&C (based on 1 course HC).  All of these have very interesting green complexes with hazards (bunkers) that are, well … hazards.  Trend seems to be 1920’s style courses.

How about Crump ? Not because of the course but because the course is SO GREAT and some might argue it was made with a "formula" in mind. (Was the intent provided to Colt or arrived at with Colt ?) i.e. No 2 holes following in the same direction, wanted a short drive-and-pitch hole and a short drive and bump-and-run hole (varying the options off the tee).  1 short, 1 mid length, 1 med long and 1 long par 3,  Long and strong par 4, outward and inward.  A very strong par 5, outward and inward, etc.

So I guess my favorite is the designer who can design a track, given the constraints of the land, provide the varying levels of shot making required - but require both styles (ground game and air) during the round.  Give each hole a unique quality about it.  Give you options off the tee to play to your own strengths. At times, make stand over a shot that you know you have to hit well and let you be grateful that you were able to pull it off.

If you can do that, than you are my favorite designer … that day

Karl
Wilm., DE

Want I thought was so interesting about this post …
Avg Age  43.5
Avg. handicap -7.6
If you would like I can put the data into minitab and maybe find some interesting trends.

Doug Bolls

« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2006, 10:38:47 PM »
This is a very difficult decision - so many great courses by so many thoughtful designers.
However, Mike Stranz gets my vote.
I love playing Tobacco Road - such an interesting course with a good idea of where to hit the ball along with the deception of what's really out there.
Tott Hill Farm was another.  You know where to hit the ball, but there are these other course features that just kind of get in your way and make you second guess.
NRK was equally brilliant and , at times, perplexing.

Such a wonderful, creative designer - taken from us far too soon.
DB

Doug Bolls

« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2006, 10:43:49 PM »
I also agree with Craig (reply #77) - I have loved every Perry Maxwell course I have played.

Doug Bolls
Handicap = 14
Age = 64

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back