News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re:JH Taylor
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2006, 10:51:02 PM »
"TE
Yes. I think I've read just about every article Behr has written (starting in the early 10s right through into the 50s). I believe this quote above was following one in which you asked me to list the first and last word of the articles in question."

Tom MacWood:

I'd like to think it's not possible you've read all Max Behr's articles. If you have you have some pretty odd opinions. You said earlier in this thread you have read one called "The Dilemma in Golf Architecture (Strategy that Leads vs Penalties that Punish)", and not "Golf Architecture (An Interesting Reply to the Penal School of Golf)". It's the latter Bob Crosby mentioned Behr put Crane's statements and questions through a Socratic method that was most interesting.

"I've asked you several questions that for whatever reason you've been unwilling to answer...no big deal."

For whatever reason?? ;) Are you speaking about your last thread? Those questions aren't even worth a second thought. They're completely trivial and miss the point of this subject and discussion totally.

T_MacWood

« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2006, 11:01:17 PM »
TP:Obviously Max Behr was, and apparently so were Mackenzie and Hunter and Macdonald and those who had come to revere TOC and to be proud of the fact that it basically was just nature's work, the prototype of all golf architecture, and had theretofore been respected enough to avoid massive tampering.

TM:What did Macdonald and Hunter say about the Crane controversey?

TP:But who was probably shocked and saddened by this suggestion the most?

Obviously Bobby Jones himself.

TM:What did Bobby say about it?

TE
Do you think trying to suggest Hunter, Macdonald and Jones were involved in the Crane controversey is trivial? What did these men say about the Crane rating system and/or the idea of remodeling TOC?

Was Behr concerned or upset by MacKenzie's plan to remodel Prestwick or Colt's plan to remodel Muirfield?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 06:59:58 AM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2006, 08:54:48 AM »
"TM:What did Macdonald and Hunter say about the Crane controversey?"

Tom MacWood;

Crane Controversy? Did I ever use that term or is that your term?

I don't know that Macdonald or Hunter ever mentioned Crane in print. Macdonald and Hunter obviously did not believe TOC should be tampered with. Both of them loved the course the way it was, as did Behr and Mackenzie.

The fact is Crane's determination of the weakness of TOC due to his MATHEMATICAL rating system became a justification amongst some to redesign TOC (that's all there in print Tom). Obviously the foregoing men were opposed to that, and in the case of two of them, vociferously so.

Henceforth, I should probably only mention Mackenzie and Behr when it comes to Crane himself because mention of him in their writing is both available and telling. Those two obviously felt very strongly that trying to determine the value, architecturally or otherwise, of golf holes and golf courses by some mathematical means, formula or system was entirely wrong, and furthermore dangerous if used as a justification to change something like TOC or even to design golf holes and courses.

You continue to fixate on his rating system as their primary point of concern. I don't think so, and it appears they didn't either really. It seems clear their primary concern was merely what it was based on and what it might lead to----eg others trying to determine the worth of architecture or golf by using mathematical measurements. Behr said quite clearly that type of thing led to standardizations in golf and architecture very much to the detriment of architecture and golf, something he was obviously very opposed to.

This was their concern and obviously another of Behr's concerns with Crane was his insistence on eliminating LUCK from golf and architecture in any way possible.

Certainly Behr, Mackenzie, Macdonald and Hunter were not for that endeavor or direction in golf or architecture and said so in writing a number of times through the years. Their concerns were obviously justified in how much golf and architecture did try to eliminate luck in the ensuing years, but perhaps you missed that fact too. In case you've never been aware of it a fixation on fairness and unfairness is synonymous with a concern that luck plays too much a part in golf and architecture.

But you will simply never understand Behr's connecting Crane's insistence on using mathematical means to judge architecture (and to minimize LUCK) to penal golf and architecture until you read and become familiar with Behr's two articles directly relating to that subject.

To date it would appear you have little to no understanding of those two articles, or perhaps most of the rest of what Behr wrote about regarding golf and golf architecture.

I've already quoted above Behr's concerns with using mathematical means to judge or be used in golf and architecture and here's what Mackenzie said on the subject (after referring in print to Crane):

"After all, the worth of a golf course cannot be judged on mathematical lines; the crucial test is what gives the most lasting and increasing pleasure."

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 09:03:37 AM by TEPaul »

T_MacWood

« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2006, 10:10:30 AM »
"TM:What did Macdonald and Hunter say about the Crane controversey?"

Tom MacWood;

Crane Controversy? Did I ever use that term or is that your term?

I don't know that Macdonald or Hunter ever mentioned Crane in print.

Then why do you continue to interject their names into the controversey surounding Crane and his rating system?

Macdonald and Hunter obviously did not believe TOC should be tampered with. Both of them loved the course the way it was, as did Behr and Mackenzie.

Is this speculation on your part or did Macdonald & Hunter actually comment about the redesign of TOC?

The fact is Crane's determination of the weakness of TOC due to his MATHEMATICAL rating system became a justification amongst some to redesign TOC (that's all there in print Tom). Obviously the foregoing men were opposed to that, and in the case of two of them, vociferously so.

Wrong. If you are referring to the editorial in golf illustrated titled 'Tightening Up St.Andrews' the author (Mr. Beers) explains that the push by some to redesign TOC was precipitated by Jones' low scores, not Crane's rating. What Beers was trying to do was justify or defend Crane's rating system by showing that there was an effort a foot to redesign TOC (because of low scores). In the editorial Beers does not adovocate the remodeling of TOC.

Henceforth, I should probably only mention Mackenzie and Behr when it comes to Crane himself because mention of him in their writing is both available and telling. Those two obviously felt very strongly that trying to determine the value, architecturally or otherwise, of golf holes and golf courses by some mathematical means, formula or system was entirely wrong, and furthermore dangerous if used as a justification to change something like TOC or even to design golf holes and courses.

Where did MacKenzie & Behr specifically comment about remodeling TOC?

You continue to fixate on his rating system as their primary point of concern. I don't think so, and it appears they didn't either really. It seems clear their primary concern was merely what it was based on and what it might lead to----eg others trying to determine the worth of architecture or golf by using mathematical measurements. Behr said quite clearly that type of thing led to standardizations in golf and architecture very much to the detriment of architecture and golf, something he was obviously very opposed to.

Behr's primary concern was anything that could lead to penal design, in contrast to strategic design. He used the Crane controversey to further explain his ideas regarding strategic golf design and golf architecture as art (these were not new thoughts, he had been preaching both for a number of years). As far as I know Behr did not delve into the subject of redesign. Through out this thread you've been over-reaching IMO.

This was their concern and obviously another of Behr's concerns with Crane was his insistence on eliminating LUCK from golf and architecture in any way possible.

Certainly Behr, Mackenzie, Macdonald and Hunter were not for that endeavor or direction in golf or architecture and said so in writing a number of times through the years. Their concerns were obviously justified in how much golf and architecture did try to eliminate luck in the ensuing years, but perhaps you missed that fact too. In case you've never been aware of it a fixation on fairness and unfairness is synonymous with a concern that luck plays too much a part in golf and architecture.

These black & white statements regarding what this person advocated and this person did not, goes back to the beginning of this thread when the case was made by Sean that there is no such thing as a purely strategic golf architect (or golf course) or a purely penal golf architect (or golf course). Certainly Crane was fixated with fairness (which Behr cleverly portrait as penal), but every one of the architects you just listed advocated one principle or more that is related to fairness. For example hazards should be visible whenever possible or that a hole requiring a heroic carry should have an alternatice safer route for the hack or there should not be bushes to close to play. There are degrees of all these catagories.

But you will simply never understand Behr's connecting Crane's insistence on using mathematical means to judge architecture (and to minimize LUCK) to penal golf and architecture until you read and become familiar with Behr's two articles directly relating to that subject.

I'm confident I do know what Behr was trying to get across, and most importantly, I'm confident I know what he wasn't saying (and what Hunter, Macdonald, MacKenzie said and did not say), which is why I have been questioning some of your odd conslusions.

To date it would appear you have little to no understanding of those two articles, or perhaps most of the rest of what Behr wrote about regarding golf and golf architecture.

I've already quoted above Behr's concerns with using mathematical means to judge or be used in golf and architecture and here's what Mackenzie said on the subject (after referring in print to Crane):

"After all, the worth of a golf course cannot be judged on mathematical lines; the crucial test is what gives the most lasting and increasing pleasure."

What did Behr or MacKenzie say about Macdonald's mathematical analysis of the ideal golf course?

And you still have not answered what Behr's thoughts were on MacKenzie's plan to redesign Prestwick and Colt's plan to redesign Muirfield.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 10:16:43 AM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2006, 12:36:34 PM »
"Wrong. If you are referring to the editorial in golf illustrated titled 'Tightening Up St.Andrews' the author (Mr. Beers) explains that the push by some to redesign TOC was precipitated by Jones' low scores, not Crane's rating. What Beers was trying to do was justify or defend Crane's rating system by showing that there was an effort a foot to redesign TOC (because of low scores). In the editorial Beers does not adovocate the remodeling of TOC."

Tom MacWood:

My God, you can't even read if it doesn't suit some agenda of yours.

Beers most certainly does not say that the push to redesign TOC was NOT due to Crane's rating system or low rating of TOC. He says nothing of the kind.

Matter of fact, if you simply read the first two paragraphs of that editorial you can't miss the fact that Beers implies that many others are 'ready to be convinced' because of Crane's system and low rating of TOC.

If men like Behr and Mackenzie did not want to see TOC redesigned or some mathematical measurement of golf and architecture used in the future of course an editorial like that one is going to get their attention.

If you can't see that or fail to understand it you're blind.

TEPaul

« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2006, 12:57:54 PM »
"These black & white statements regarding what this person advocated and this person did not, goes back to the beginning of this thread when the case was made by Sean that there is no such thing as a purely strategic golf architect (or golf course) or a purely penal golf architect (or golf course)."

Tom MacWood:

Black and white statements? Who said that other than you?  ;)

No one on here mentioned that this entire subject and issue was entirely black or white, so why are you?

Not even Max Behr ever implied this was black or white or all one way or the other way. However, he certainly was concerned and felt and contented that this discussion of penal vs strategic golf and architecture was most important to the future of golf and architecture. But even he never said penal vs strategic architecture was all black or all white so I wonder why people like you and Sean Arble are trying to claim anyone ever said it was.

On the subject of Penal vs Strategic not being all one thing or the other (black or white) Behr said;

"THE PENAL SCHOOL BY NO MEANS OVERLOOKS THE PERTINENCY OF STRATEGY IN GOLF. But what it has not realized is the fact that strategy is an art. And in a work of art, all its elements are dynamic, and radiate toward some central idea. But penal hazards are static, they represent the imposition of a moral order upon the golfer. And as art has nothing to do with morals, they constitute a destructive diversion."
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 01:03:44 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2006, 01:09:47 PM »
"I'm confident I do know what Behr was trying to get across, and most importantly, I'm confident I know what he wasn't saying"

Tom MacWood:

I just can't imagine why you'd be confident you know what Behr was saying and what he wasn't saying, particularly on this specific subject, since you've never seen his most important article on this specific subject.

I doubt you have much idea at all what Behr meant by Penal golf and architecture.

TEPaul

« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2006, 01:26:53 PM »
"What did Behr or MacKenzie say about Macdonald's mathematical analysis of the ideal golf course?"

I have no idea. Do you?  ;)

"And you still have not answered what Behr's thoughts were on MacKenzie's plan to redesign Prestwick and Colt's plan to redesign Muirfield."

I don't know that either. Do you?  ;)

I don't recall Behr mentioning Prestwick or Muirfield. Do they have anything to do with this discussion or is the question just another in your seemingly endless stream of rhetorical questions on here?  ;)

Behr did mention TOC from time to time and he mentioned the time of innocence in golf before golf architecture even began. Obviously by that he meant TOC, as that's considered to be where it all began.  ;)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 01:29:44 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2006, 09:17:55 AM »
From Sean Arble;

"Tom P.
I never wrote that Behr claimed penal vs strategic architecture was a black or white issue.  I don't think I have even seen a Behr article.  My remarks were directed at Bob who was structuring his comments (presumably based on Behr's comments) as one school vs the other.  I can see where trying to paint the two schools of thought as distinct from each other could facilitate a discussion on a forum such as ours.  However, in the real world these distinctions are very much blurred and therefore often meaningless."  

Sean:

I can see that your remarks were directed at Bob, and I know you've never seen a Behr article on this subject. I'd like to get the two that do have to do with this subject linked onto a thread but I'm not capable of doing that. Others are though.

Obviously Behr did not think the subject of penal vs strategic golf was completely black or white either or he never would've made the remark I quoted above. But that does not mean he did not think there was real importance in making a distinction between what he viewed as strategic architecture and golf and what he referred to as penal architecture and golf.

It also seems Tom MacWood likes to play the so-called "black and white" card when he doesn't agree with something. Essentially he asks others to produce written evidence that someone said something specific about some subject. If you produce evidence, he wants more or he wants it to be more specific. If there is no written evidence or if it isn't specific enough he seems to suggest that whatever is being proposed or suggested could not possibly have happened or be true (if it wasn't actually specifically written down somewhere).

Of course this is an odd and rather foolish way of looking at history and treating history. Taken to its logic conclusion it would mean that if someone like Crump never wrote about his opinions for what Pine Valley should be, consequently he couldn't have had any opinions on what it should be. Or, at least, one should never try to surmise what his opinions were, even if his opinions were recorded by his friends and those who knew him and knew what his opinions were. To do such a thing would be way too "black and white".  ;)

Obviously Behr particularly had some strong opinions on what he called "penal" golf and architecture. And he had strong opinions on what he called "strategic" golf and architecture or he wouldn't have written about both as he did.

It is up to us to figure out just what he meant by "penal" golf and architecture. It would also be nice to figure out just what he meant by "strategic" golf and architecture. For that obviously his articles on the subject have to be linked or posted on here.

I would very much contend that if those reading Behr's articles on this subject took the time it seems to take to let his ideas sink in they just may find that what he meant by penal golf and architecture was not exactly what most of us mean by it. And I believe the same could be said for what he meant by "strategic" golf and architecture.

What Behr meant by penal golf and architecture, in my opinion, was so much more, so much deeper. What Behr meant by it was something that went to the very psyche of the golfer, to his most fundamental emotions, in other words, and what it did to them, Behr felt, was not at all positive.

Furthermore, to really understand where Behr was coming from on golf and architecture, golf rules, and a number of other connected subjects, one needs to read all his articles on the broad subjects of architecture and golf. The reason for that is his articles actually connect to one another in what I call "a priori" reasoning. In other words each of his assumptions connects to another to arrive at his final conclusions on architecture which were essentially two.

If this is the way he did it, and Bob and I (and GeoffShac) believe it is, one does need to also understand what Behr actually meant when he used the words "penal" or "penalty" and that is precisely why he wrote another supporting article to all this entitled "The Nature and Use of Penalty".  :)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 09:26:52 AM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back