News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

LBaker

Sand, solution or problem?
« on: November 14, 2006, 08:37:57 AM »
Does topdressing with sand on push-up greens and soil fairways add or detract from a superintendents ability to create Firm & Fast conditions?  Is this program contributing to turf problems?

Is the USGA holding fast to these sand recommendations?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 08:39:04 AM by Lindsey_Baker »

Michael Hayes

Re:Sand, solution or problem?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 12:26:10 PM »
In my experience, sand topdressing on both fairways and greens has been an integral part of both managing playability and agrinomic health of the turf.  Many, if not most golf courses in the US have been built on soils not ideally suited for the game of golf.  Sand topdressing, in conjunction with many other cultural practices, aids in surface preparation, thatch and organic matter managment, surface drainage and general turf health.  All of these factors are a part of the F&F idea.  

As for the USGA reccomendations... In the west, sand topdressing is presented as vital to creating quality golf conditions.  I agree with the theory.
Bandonistas Unite!!!

JESII

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 10:54:32 AM »
MIchael,

It seems counter-intuitive to me to top dress with sand on non-sandy bases. I am not in the business at all so take that for what it's worth, but once the water gets through the manufactured sand level, where does it go?

Michael Hayes

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 11:09:25 AM »
JES ll,

If a golf course was built with surface drainage in mind, the sand topdressing will allow for a more playable surface sooner after the pecip event.  Creating a fast draining layer will enable golf to be played sooner and allow the heavier soils below to perk at its slower pace.  

One important thing to remember is that once a topdressing sand is decided on, stick with it.  Creating multiple layers in the soil is a bad thing.

In modern course building sand-capping is a very common practice.
Bandonistas Unite!!!

JESII

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 11:38:29 AM »
JES ll,

One important thing to remember is that once a topdressing sand is decided on, stick with it.  Creating multiple layers in the soil is a bad thing.

In modern course building sand-capping is a very common practice.

I imagine you are referring to the size of the grain of sand. Is this accurate?

this multiple layering is what made the whole idea to me counter-intuitive. Isn't the idea of push-up surface draining greens to have the precipitation run off the green as quick as possible? When you then build in a layer of sand base to get the water off the surface, where does it go from there? It seems to me it would settle above the slower perking soil below, but also not run-off because it is not below the surface. How deep does this sandy layer become ideally?

Michael Hayes

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 12:10:15 PM »
Jes ll, you are correct in that I am refering to paraticle size when talking about sticking to your sand choice.  If your sand topdressing is of uniform size over the years, then the layer will allow for consistent perk down to the heavier soils below.  Multiple layering is bad, even if it is layers of different sands.  

Old push up style geens were designed for water to run off the surface, mowing heights of the past (say 3/16) of an inch allowed for more water to be absorbed by the plant and made the green surface function as intended.  Add more compaction of riding mowers and heights of cut below an 1/8 of an inch and sand topdressing becomes the reality in order to facilitate play.  

If the sand topdressing is uniform over the green, original contours will still exist and the original surface drainage built into the heavier soils will still function.  I was at a course in the Seattle area that had 7-9 inches of sand built up over the original grade. It took from 1924 to now to build that up.
Bandonistas Unite!!!

JESII

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 12:43:16 PM »
Thanks Michael,

Wouldn't shorter grass blades encourage more water to run off the surface of the green as opposed to absorbing into the soil? This is of course assuming well designed surface draining greens.

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 01:06:46 PM »
Lindsey,

I am split on this one. I do see the merits of topdressing with sand and allowing the crown to get out of the soil and dry quicker. I do believe that a properly managed topdressing program on fairways and approaches can aid with a F & F maintenance meld.

My concern is that we are going to create 25 acres of future problems. In the 80's we struggled to manage soil greens with several inches of sand topdressing due to a layering affect. Roots stayed in the top and water did not easily move down into the heavy soils below. Several things have been developed to help the greens, primarily deep tine aeration. Will the topdressed fairways need to be managed as the greens? If so this can mean huge expence. On the other hand if you have the budget that allows topdressing of 25 + - fairways then you can most likely afford the additional programs that go along with it.

Every course is different and not every budget can accomodate this practice. I would not go down this path unless I was able to budget all the programs that would go along with topdressing fairways.

Sean

LBaker

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 05:27:41 PM »
sean,

Hope your doing well.  My stand on sand topdressing is simple.  The obvious is the layering that could occur.  I agree with the statement you made that the roots would stay shallow and would not drive down.  How about this.  The soil temp. would fluctuate and could cause the roots to experience heat stress or death.  

M. Hayes said he played a course that topdressed heavily over many years and the undulations and slopes were drasticly altered.  You would have to core aerate more often and your water practices would have to change.  Also, you labor budget could increase, etc.

How about topdressing with dirty sand.  You're getting the larger sand particles that could help with the perk rate but you're creating an environment that could develope into minimillistic maintainence meld.  Less core aeration, more needle tine or solid tine.  Less disturbance to the playing conditions your membership has come accustommed to.  
Scott has convinenced me that topdressing is necessary to push down the crown that naturally wants rise up to the surface.  We use Fertisol.  I have never used it till I came to HVGC.  I love it.  It's the two birds with one stone.

Chris Cupit

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 07:08:17 PM »
Prior to our renovation the best thing we did for our non USGA greens was a deep hollow core aeration followed by a fairly heavy topdressing.  (Twice a year and at least one solid tine aeration during the middle of the season).  We topdress very lightly on a weekly basis during the season (April-Oct).  Can't even tell we did it by the next day.

Golfers absolutely hate it, but I still think its crucial.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back