News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Cummings

Quiz Time!
« on: November 03, 2006, 11:55:45 AM »
Okay Dokay you hot shots, see if you can bag this one.

What site (single plot of land/associated club) has golf been played the longest in the state of Maryland?

JC

John_Conley

Re:Quiz Time!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 10:59:07 AM »
Jonathan:

You asking that is like me asking which course in Minnesota was the first to have grass greens.  Wouldn't you need to be from Maryland to have any idea?

Gary Slatter

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 02:31:50 PM »
I give, but can you say what course in the western hemisphere opened in 1867 and is still in play, all 9 original holes?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Adam_Messix

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 04:57:07 PM »
This is a stab in the dark, but I would say Elkridge Hunt Club.  

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 05:23:00 PM »
Is this the one dating back to 1744?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 07:45:59 PM »
Adam M - Elkridge is right.  I'm doing an article about the place and was surprised to learn this fact.

Gary - don't know the answer.  A Canadian course perhaps?  

Adam C - I know Charleston CC has loosely associated records that pre-date the Revolutionary War.  There were a few holes (maybe even nine) built in town and a society associated with those holes.  CCC has shipping manifasts of a gentlemen associated with the club ordering 400 or so gutta perta balls from Scotland.  The manifest is dated 1760 or so.

JC

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 09:36:33 PM »
Gary,

Niagara on the Lake, which I think was laid out by the commander of the garrison. The 8th plays through the fortifications. I should take a photo and post that one of these days.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 09:46:47 PM »
Gary,

Niagara on the Lake, which I think was laid out by the commander of the garrison. The 8th plays through the fortifications. I should take a photo and post that one of these days.

Ian,

That sounds very cool and I'm always fascinated by the linkage between military concepts and golf.   In fact, I think that explains some of the history of the game moreso than some of the other theories I've heard bandied about here..   Is it close to downtown Niagara Falls?

Jonathan,

What year did they start playing golf at Elkridge, and is there any trace of the original course still in play today?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 09:48:33 PM by Mike Cirba »

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 10:08:18 AM »
Mike,

Competitive golf started in 1895 over the current Elkridge site.  In that year there were actually two nine-hole courses (separate clubs) on the property - Baltimore GC and Elkridge Fox Hunting Club.  Baltimore GC (not associated with BCC)was the first course in the state of MD.  Bendelow combined them and made a "championship" single nine in 1900 (2800yds and quite the talk of golf at the turn of the century.)  Bendelow's hole #1 is the same hole as hole number #1 today (basically unchanged).  It is the only "original" hole that remains.

Raynor redid the course making it 18 holes in 1924.  For various reasons, re-routings to the course were performed in 1927, 1932, and 1940.  Ed Ault was called in to add two new holes and delete two holes to make room for the tennis courts and driving range in 1978.  Silva is currently removing trees, enlarging greens and redoing bunkers in an effort to bring back as much Seth Raylor to the course as hey can.

JC

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back