News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Aaron Katz

I don't know about you all, but I have a really difficult time playing in the current cold weather (I'm just outside Boston).  I'm not sure if my cold muscles aren't as fast/flexible, or whether the nerve endings in my fingers are frozen, of whether it is the colder golf ball.  All I know is that, when it starts getting below 55* or so, I lose distance, height on my trajectory, and spin.  This can be incredibly annoying when playing a long, soft course that requires aerial shots.  However, I don't mind it quite so much when the hole allows me to play more creative shots -- low, cut drivers; three-quarter 7 irons from 145 yards, etc.  

From a design point of view, will the course architect take into account the presence of true seasons when designing the course?  That is, will a particular designer include open green fronts, punchbowls, kick-slopes, etc. on a design in the Northeast so that the course remains playable when the mercury dips, and yet intentionally use those features more sparingly in warmer climates such as Florida, California, or Arizona?

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Do certain design characteristics work better in cold weather?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 01:12:02 PM »
Aaron,

I played 9 holes on this 46 degree but rather nice morning. Move up a set of tees.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 01:13:36 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 01:22:55 PM »
I think I actually play better in the cold. All those layers of clothing restrict my swing, giving me less distance but far greater accuracy. Unfortunately, I'm too much of a dolt to carry those lessons learned into the summer months. God forbid I should not try to swing at 100% and try to knock the crap out of the ball.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 01:26:10 PM »
The long par three would work better in the cold, I wold think

Aaron Katz

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 01:44:20 PM »
Aaron,

I played 9 holes on this 46 degree but rather nice morning. Move up a set of tees.  ::)

Mike,

One problem is that the difference between the tips and the member's tees is more often than not too great to make this an enjoyable option.  As much as I like hitting iron off the tee a few times a round, I don't want to be hitting iron off the tee 14 - 15 times (including par 3s).  

Also, I guess my point would be that I enjoy a course where, in the cold, I can still play from the same tees and be able to access pins with a different style/length of shot than I would use in the summer.  That makes the game fun, and really shows how a change in season can make a course play TOTALLY different.

What I'm wondering is whether architects take the changing seasons into account, in the same way that prevailing wind or inherent ground firmness is taken into account.  Just as it would have been stupid for Tom Doak to have placed a bunker directly in front of every green at Bandon (due to ground firmness and wind), I think it would be ridiculous for an architect in New England to do the same (because of the chilly Fall and Spring season), whereas this design feature might be fine on a course in Florida.  
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 01:45:10 PM by Aaron Katz »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 03:31:42 PM »
195 yard island greens don't work well in the cold
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Aaron Katz

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 03:42:21 PM »
195 yard island greens don't work well in the cold

An island green could work particularly well in temperatures below the freezing point.  Can you imagine how wonderful it would be to play a low runner on the ice?

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 03:53:04 PM »
Naw, the bulkhead gets in the way, but then again, I never played a flop shot off the ice, over the bulk head and tried to stop it on a hard green. Sounds like fun ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Doug Ralston

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 04:25:26 PM »
Joe and I play as often as possible during the Fall/Winter/Spring months. If the temp is 45' and it is DRY [if it's humid at that temp, it is BAD!], with little breeze, golf can be quite comfortable and the courses are usually wide open.

We are in the Cincinnati area, so some times, when it's too cold locally, we will even drive to Dale Hollow [south and 4 hrs each way] for a nice daytrip [those zoysia fairways are brown, but lies are still perfect]. Since we can alternate driving, and have plenty of golf/politics etc to talk about, it is actually an enjoyable day. Last Year, I think we averaged playing 2-3 times/month in the Winter season.

Yes, the ball goes less distance; which with us means nearly nowhere; but we play very short and likely lose less golf balls because it's open under the forest and the shorter hits mean less distance on the bad angles too.

Golf is great year round!

Doug

Doug Ralston

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 04:28:53 PM »
Aaron;

Recently Joe hit a very low liner off the bottom of his club on a par-3 with a lake and a wall. The ball skipped off the water, jumped onto the green to about 6'. He made the birdie! I'll bet it would work even better on ice .......  :D.

Doug

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back