News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Bill Gayne

Re:Old MacDonald Had A Team......
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2006, 11:29:59 AM »
The process of Keiser using of a team or committee isn't all that much off line from Macdonald's early inception of NGLA. From Scotlands Gift, Chapter IX:

"... the following questions was put to the leading golfers in Great Britain:

Which do you consider the most testing holes on any course in the United Kingdom, having special regard to these salient features: (1) length, (2) accidents of hazard? This question should be answered in repsect to three great classes of holes; namely those which require one, two, and three shots each to the putting green.

Some twenty or thirty in all responded. Among the amateurs were John H. Low, Horace Hutchinson, Lester Balfour Melville,...

(continued two paragraphs forward) I was intensely interested, and it was from this discussion I was urged to carry out the idea of building a classical golf course in America, one which would eventually compare favorably with the championship links abroad and serve as an incentive to the elevation of the game in America. I believe this was the first effort at establishing golfing architecture - at least there is no record I can find preceding it."
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 11:33:08 AM by Bill Gayne »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2006, 02:17:22 PM »
Call it what you will, I think it's high time that a public access  golf course is being built using Macdonald's style. It's seems only right, especially when considering him the father of american golf architecture.

I may be incorrect, but isn't he the only dead-architect-of-note-who-built-more-than-one-course, who doesn't have a public course in his portfolio?

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Joe Hancock

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2006, 02:25:36 PM »
Call it what you will, I think it's high time that a public access  golf course is being built using Macdonald's style. It's seems only right, especially when considering him the father of american golf architecture.

I may be incorrect, but isn't he the only dead-architect-of-note-who-built-more-than-one-course, who doesn't have a public course in his portfolio?

Kind of makes me wonder if we would just as soon see another private course with his name on it rather than a $200+ "public".

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2006, 02:45:10 PM »
Isn't the Old White a public course?
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2006, 03:10:55 PM »
Joe,
I'm a proponent of affordable golf, anyone can come see some Raynor at Hotchkiss and only get bit for $13.00.

My meaning was this: unless you know someone at one of the private Mac courses you aren't going to get a chance to see his style, and unless the member is very fond of you, it would probably cost $200 +or- anyway.  
Granted, I don't think $200 +or- is affordable, but it does make the experience more accessible, even if you only do it once or twice in your golf life.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Joe Hancock

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2006, 03:26:23 PM »
Jim,

I don't disagree with you. It's an interesting statistic if almost all MacDonald courses are private. I wonder if that was by his choice, or is that just how the cards fell in his career?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

ChipRoyce

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2006, 05:29:55 PM »
A quote that I read on a sign comes to mind....

"God so loved the world, he didn't send a committee"

Steve Lapper

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2006, 07:19:58 PM »
A hearty and long-overdue congratulations to all on this very special squad, but most importantly to Uncle George!! One of his life-long dreams was to see a course like this move from paper to ground.

To Tom, Jim, and Brad, all of you will have the chance to create something so presently unique, yet so comfortably an extension of the past. Be strong and loyal to both the land and the history of of Mac's design philosophies and influences. I'm sure you'll make Old Mac (and most of the rest of us) immensely proud and give us yet another great course at the site of the world's best public golf facility.

I like the team concept. Collaborations work well when the goal is a common one and the guidelines of history exist to help delineate the boundaries. Such a project will only further heighten the traveling golfer's anticipation at experiencing the plethora of styles and examples found nowhere else in one single place within North America. Some may wish for another "name" architect and his style, or another "naturalistic" foray, but that's already been well covered in Bandon. Anyone who's been there multiple times would easily see that. A "MacDonald" links will compliment the others perfectly. This project is a marketing "home run" IMHO.

So few courses (especially public) built in the last decade or so have had the opportunity to foster an appreciation for the champions of historic golf architecture and regardless of his curmudgeonly personality, MacDonald's greatest wish would likely be to see the continuing evolution of  his "Scottish links" style in America. This course has just this chance. It's a great idea. I can't wait to make my 5th or 6th Bandon visit upon it's opening.

Thanks Mike Keiser for having the balls and the vision!!

« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 08:11:32 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2006, 07:49:33 PM »
This project is a marketing "home run" IMHO.

So few courses (especially public) built in the last decade or so have had the opportunity to foster an appreciation for the champions of historic golf architecture and regardless of his curmudgeonly personality, MacDonald's greatest wish would likely be to see the continuing evolution of  his "Scottish links" style in America. This course has just this chance. It's a great idea. I can't wait to make my 5th or 6th Bandon visit upon it's opening.

Steve - THat is extremely well said.  I could not agree more. Its a great way to link the past to the present and the future.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2006, 07:59:56 PM »
This project is a marketing "home run" IMHO.

Steve - THat is extremely well said.  I could not agree more. Its a great way to link the past to the present and the future.

Cheers!
As someone who doesn't really see himself getting a chance to see/play NGLA, this opportunity to experience "CBM" through the talents of these gifted and knowledgeable architects/historians is extremely exciting!!!

Congrats to all those involved.

-Ted

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2006, 08:13:59 PM »
I hope Ron Whitten now sees the folly in not allowing Erin Hills a chance to compete on the Golf Digest greatest list...I'm sure MacDougle Dunes is a lock for any and all future top 100's..

John - Only you could try to turn this exciting announcement of a new course available to the public into a rating and rankings fiasco. Shame on you.  You will have plenty of time to try it when the course is in the ground and ready for all those comped rounds  ::)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2006, 11:03:30 AM »
A little bird just told me that Bill Coore would be an excellent addition to the team. While he is likely to humble to admit it, Bill apparently has quite the CBM knowledge.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2006, 11:05:35 AM »
I would add one Ran Morrissett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back