News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Revised Cape Breton Highlands Links course profile...
« on: October 26, 2006, 09:08:19 AM »
...is posted under Architecture Timeline and Courses by Country.

You do no course a favor by posting its course profile after County Down's. Having said that, there is one that might work O.K. and that's Cape Breton Highlands Links in full autumnal dress. Thirty-five plus photos are included in this revised course profile, with the one from the 6th tee  :o maybe heading for a Mike Miller commission.

We all know that Cape Breton Highlands Links is within the Canadian National Park System and the challenges inherent in that for ensuring that Thompson's original playing width/features are properly preserved. I wish I could be czar there for one winter as if so, I would:

1) return the entire width of the 2nd playing corridor into fairway.

2) gut the trees a) right of the 2nd hole so that the original ocean views were restored, including those trees behind the 3rd tee b) left off the 7th tee along the hill, c) behind the 10th green to expose the stream, and d) left all down the 11th and 12th holes to again expose the stream. (Some course raters and players think the course loses steam from holes 9 through 12 and that's because the key element that Thompson employed for those last three holes (the stream) has been covered up by trees in an effort to stabilize/shore up the banks).

3) Recapture the front left hole location at the 5th.

4) Better hide or get rid of the cart paths that mar some of the views, especially on the inside of the dogleg 9th  :P

With those 'tweaks' accomplished, one of the game's finest walks through nature would be all the better, a scary thought!

Brad Miller, Rick Holland and I toured CBH ten days ago. Rick played especially well in only losing to me 2&1  8)  Brad didn't fair the same and the match became an unofficial one, though I am presently forgetful of the score (since it was unofficial, it has absolutely NO historical relevance and does NOT bear further discussions).

When I first saw Rod Whitman after the round, his comments (having never seen the course before) were: "You don't see that every day - in fact, I've never seen holes like that period!" Truer words were never spoken with its combination of sea, mountains and forest unequaled in world golf.

Ben and I expect to open Cabot Links in 2008 and I don't know on such a young course if we'll have firm playing conditions on offer October 2008. We have the ideal climate, so it's a possibility and if we do, then the first OFFICIAL GCA.com Match Play Invitational shall be held, with play divided between Cape Breton and Cabot. Hopefully, all those that attend will lose to me with the same graciousness that Pat M.regularly displays, whether he goes down in flames in Florida ......or Pennslyvania ......or Nebraska. If the GCA Invitational isn't held October 2008, it will definitely be there October, 2009.

Cheers,

HamiltonBHearst

Re:Revised Cape Breton Highlands Links course profile...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 09:24:02 AM »

Thank you Mr. Morrissett for the wonderful update ;D

GCA Invitational in 2008?  Let the positioning for invites begin.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 10:06:42 AM »
Ran:

Great photo's. I'm going back next year.

I posted in August after my trip to Canada what a great golf course this is. Now with your pictures, who can resist going and enjoying the surrounding beauty + the just terrific golf

Everyone here owes you a BIG THANK YOU.

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Eric Olsen

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 10:21:26 AM »
I had the pleasure of playing Highland Links last summer, and these fall photos make an irresistably compelling case for the timing of my return trip!  

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 10:30:25 AM »
It must be damned expensive having to paint all those trees different colors.......

Jim Nugent

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 12:50:47 PM »
Photoshop, Rich.

T_MacWood

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »
Nice course.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 01:23:27 PM »

Ben and I expect to open Cabot Links in 2008

I guess I wasn't aware of Ran's involvement in Cabot Links.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 01:44:17 PM »
Ran

That enticing review makes me sorry that I missed the CBH outing. What great luck you had with the weather and peak colors of the fall leaves. Well done.

Brad Miller looks far too happy on that long walk between 12 and 13.  My best guess is that he had you dormie by then in your "unofficial" match  ;D  Well done Brad!

Best of luck with Cabot Links

Andrew Balakshin

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 01:49:01 PM »
Spectacular photos!

Now if only I can get to the other side of the country…. :)

Anthony Butler

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 02:48:15 PM »

Ben and I expect to open Cabot Links in 2008

I guess I wasn't aware of Ran's involvement in Cabot Links.

That's why next year Ran will officially begin his campaign of disinformation on Cape Breton Highlands... " a tired old course, many Thompson features ruined or obscured by poor maintenance, a tourist trap where the golf in no way matches the views."  ;)

Anyway, put my name down for 2008. BTW, I want to play in Hamilton's foursome. From his many posts, I'm sure we'll have an enlightening discussion on the last eight years and what it has done for the country and his bank account.... by the end of 18 I have a feeling we'll see right through to the real Hammy.
Next!

brad_miller

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 03:32:11 PM »
Geoff, you are pretty close, thanks for the confidence!!!  One must love how Ran is able to post so much disinformation.  Ran even told me that they had to tone down the colors in the pictures using photo shop. That being said, CBH is one very very good golf course (after spending time with Rod Whitman I am now very careful about calling a course GREAT) and one of the games finest walks. Ran's comments on a few of the tweaks make plenty of sense. I to would enjoy a game with Hammy some day.

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 03:47:48 PM »
Hammy

Do they have a slip in the harbor large enough to dock your yacht near the golf course?

Can I apply for a stateroom and a ride up there with you now?

Brad- I have every confidence in your abilities.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 03:48:28 PM by Geoffrey Childs »

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 07:25:03 PM »
Ran, if I had known you were (I assume) flying into Halifax I'm sure a few of us locals could have welcomed you, bought you a pet lobster, etc.

Hopefully next time we'll be able to be a part of the festivities!

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 07:41:35 PM »
I to would enjoy a game with Hammy some day.

Brad,

Nice head fake, but I still think you are Hammy!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 09:58:52 PM »
Two things:

1) The real shame of the new profile is the loss of all those great photos of me playing Highlands Links that featured in the original  ;D

2) No one, NO ONE, is supposed to know the whereabouts of Rod Whitman. Ever.
jeffmingay.com

ward peyronnin

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 11:06:55 PM »
I am reluctantly passing on comment regarding the wonderful CBH course to focus on a, hopefully not craven, recognition of the redoubtable effort of " our author". The profligacy and quality of his course postings, 4(?) in the last 30 days, is momentous. Whether he is keen to justify posting his presumed match play triumphs, positioning for an eventual Joe Dey award from the USGA, or unable too staunch the flow of recent experiences we are indeed fortunate benficiaries of whatever motive prevails. Kudos to golf's most beloved figure and please keep up the great work

"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 07:57:21 AM »
Two more images from that fateful trip.

Brad Miller – Curiously well short of the 2nd green at Cape Breton in two

And, the Cabot Links team...

Michael Moore

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 08:12:21 AM »
In his rusty trousers Ran bears a strange resemblance to Michael Moore.

Thanks for yet another inspirational review and congratulations on getting Cabot Links off the ground.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

brad_miller

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 08:32:11 AM »
BCD, Ran needs all the help he can get, but I do remember making a 4 on that fine 2nd hole, yes my 2nd shot was not fully up to snuff, but I never looked back on Ran after making that put to even our matches on number 2.

Dave Kemp

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 06:52:35 PM »
Thanks for the updated profile Ran,  the photos are amazing.  I have to get back there, one round was not enough.  Especially when I missed the long walk along the brook.  

Maybe in the fall of 2008.   ;)

Dave

David Stamm

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 06:57:39 PM »
Thank you once again Ran for great drooling material! Awesome pictures!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tim MacEachern

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 09:16:50 PM »
Great pictures!  I just got a Dell 2407FPW monitor for work -- 1920x1200 resolution -- and I'm hunting for great large pictures for screen backgrounds.  Currently the best super-large ones I can find are of Turnberry, but maybe Highlands can sub for a while.  The Sand Hills were also appreciated.  Maybe what we need is a "best pictures" thread.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 11:23:30 PM »
Ran, could we who are not in the know please have some details on "Cabot Links?"  Is this a new course?  A private development?  A resort course?  Inquiring minds want to know!  ???

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back