News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

ChipRoyce

Trip to Bandon - Oct 21-23rd
« on: October 03, 2006, 10:03:53 PM »
For some reason, my work will be taking me within 90 minutes of the hallowed grounds of Bandon. My spouse is wonderful and encouraging me to go early and swing by Bandon for a few days.

A few questions / comments if I may (I know many of these questions have probably been asked but too many search results to sift through).

1) Lodging - I'll be by myself and $250 / night is a bit too steep. Anyone stay at the Best Western - Inn at Face Rock? Found an internet deal that's quite attractive. If not there, saw some very pleasant B&B's that are in the $130-$150 range. Anyone have any reccomendations / experiences that they can share?

2) Golfing - Will be calling back tomorrow after I book my flight. There are some primo spots for a single - is it too ambitious to play replays on back-to-back days?

3) Anyone going to be visiting then? Will be traveling by myself and would enjoy meeting anyone for a drink if you'll be there that same weekend.

Cheers and appreciate any advice!
Chip

SPDB

Re:Trip to Bandon - Oct 21-23rd
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 10:39:17 PM »
i'm pretty sure i stayed at this place - i came in very late and it was dark. in any event, it was definitely adequate and came with a view of the ocean. the proximity to the beach was great and made for easy access to the beach for an early morning run.

rjsimper

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 11:21:11 PM »
It is not too ambitious to play back to back replays...but keep in mind that not staying at the resort, you have to play the same course you played in the morning if you want the replay rate...

Thus, if you go for 2 days and want to play replay rates for both whilst not staying at the resort, you will be forced to choose on of the courses to omit.

You should have a blast - hope the weather is nice!

Jordan Wall

ChipRoyce

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 12:37:49 AM »
It is not too ambitious to play back to back replays...but keep in mind that not staying at the resort, you have to play the same course you played in the morning if you want the replay rate...

Thanks Ryan!
Yup - I realized that I'd have to forego 1 course. My plan is most likely forego Bandon Trails - leaving that course for my next trip back.
I could think of worse things than to have to play 4 rounds on Pac Dunes and Bandon Dunes ;)

ChipRoyce

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 12:38:17 AM »
For lodging around Bandon:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=25881;start=25

Thanks Jordan!
I saw your earlier thread, but didn't see all the recent additions. Very helpful!

Chris Kurzner

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 10:31:36 AM »
Chip,

I'll be there Saturday (heading out Sunday).  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you (and me) on the weather!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 12:36:01 PM »
Chip, You will feel silly if you do not play back to back rounds. Bandon is all about golf. This old man played 36 and 45 holes a day for 4 days there this summer. I am not a testiment to endurance either. I would think you might want to stay on the property at whatever cost, but others can advise on alternative lodging.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 12:54:09 PM »
Chip, You will feel silly if you do not play back to back rounds. Bandon is all about golf. This old man played 36 and 45 holes a day for 4 days there this summer. I am not a testiment to endurance either. I would think you might want to stay on the property at whatever cost, but others can advise on alternative lodging.

Tiger;
Space willing, I am defiantely going to do replays. I just booked my tee times - they couldn't guarantee space as I'd finish after 2pm.

Eric Olsen

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 01:16:40 PM »
You can torque around pretty fast late in the day.  I played 14 holes on Pacific (1-11, 5-6-7) in 1.5 hours one day.  I suspect they will charge you the full replay rate, but there are a variety of loops that you can play once you are back out on the courses.  The light at the end of the day is fantastic, so I would encourage you to play until it gets dark, and carry a couple of twilight tracers just in case. http://www.twilighttracer.com/

ChipRoyce

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 01:59:14 PM »
Thanks Eric - never heard of the Twilight tracer - its awesome and should come in handy

Raphael_Larson

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 02:38:51 PM »
Thanks Eric - never heard of the Twilight tracer - its awesome and should come in handy

Thanks to Eric, I took two sleeves of Twilight Tracers with me to Bandon last November.  Watching my brother chip in for birdie at Trails #17 in complete darkness with the flashing red light glowing from the bottom of the cup was a classic moment.  On Trails #18, our entire foursome played the hole with twilight tracers in the dark.  The confusion on the faces of the people in the clubhouse who couldn't figure out what the red flashing lights flying up from the depths of the pitch black fairway were was comical.  No one had seen the balls before but everyone loved the idea.  They will never be confused for a Pro V-1, but if you've got to walk in in the dark, you might as well hit something on your way.  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 02:45:41 PM »
I have carried the same Twilight Tracer in my bag going on four years now...It has seen duty from Orlando to Bandon and though now quite dead distance wise still blinks like the devil.  When you have one ball and two players simply play alternate shot and the guy who holes out wins...

Eric Olsen

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 02:57:38 PM »
It is better to have two of them per player, as they flash for 5 minutes straight, i.e. each hit does not start a new five minutes, so can go dark on a long hole.  They are also excellent for in the dark putting contests....

peter_p

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 09:17:56 PM »
You might run into some good young golfers while you are there and you won't have the run of all the courses. The Pac-10 vs Big-10 Challenge is the 23rd-24th, and I assume they will have earlier practice rounds. Think 16 mens' teams are involved. Don't know the courses they will play, but 36 Monday, 18 Tuesday is usual. Good luck

Peter Galea

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 09:25:54 PM »

Thanks to Eric, I took two sleeves of Twilight Tracers with me to Bandon last November.  Watching my brother chip in for birdie at Trails #17 in complete darkness with the flashing red light glowing from the bottom of the cup was a classic moment.  On Trails #18, our entire foursome played the hole with twilight tracers in the dark.  The confusion on the faces of the people in the clubhouse who couldn't figure out what the red flashing lights flying up from the depths of the pitch black fairway were was comical.  No one had seen the balls before but everyone loved the idea.  They will never be confused for a Pro V-1, but if you've got to walk in in the dark, you might as well hit something on your way.  

I don't suppose they come with the "twilight divot and ball mark tracers" do they?
"chief sherpa"

ChipRoyce

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2006, 10:11:53 PM »
You might run into some good young golfers while you are there and you won't have the run of all the courses. The Pac-10 vs Big-10 Challenge is the 23rd-24th, and I assume they will have earlier practice rounds. Think 16 mens' teams are involved. Don't know the courses they will play, but 36 Monday, 18 Tuesday is usual. Good luck

Thanks for the heads up Peter!
When making my reservation, the folks mentioned that there would be "a large group" in attendance. Hoping their coaches move them along since paying guests will be attending. I'd hate to be having 5+ hour rounds both to enjoy the golf as well as to enable my replay!

Chris Kurzner

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 09:57:52 AM »
Chip,

I doubt the college kids are going to be slowing anyone down.  BTW, when I said I would be there Saturday I meant the Saturday you arrive.  I arrive the 18th and leave on the 22nd.

I'm sure you'll find me in the Bunker Bar Friday and Saturday nights....

peter_p

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 01:06:13 PM »
Monday they won't slow anyone down because they will have complete use of one course for the whole day. Tuesday they will probably start on 1 and 10 about 7:30, thus the first tee may open around noon. Few colllege threesomes play at a pace faster than 4:30.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 07:40:14 PM »
Thanks Peter for the info!

Chris - will most certainly look for you on Friday night after I arrive!

ed_getka

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 11:04:42 AM »
Chip,
  If you are up to it, I would think about using your free golf time (after 36 holes), to play a few holes on BT. Particularly try to see holes 1-5, and 13-17 if you are trying to save your legs. Use the pull carts if you aren't taking caddies as that will enable you to enjoy a lot more holes.
   Have a great time, and let us know what you think. Pacific
Dunes in the evening when the course is empty is about as good as golf can get.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back