News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Moore

Ross Restoration at Evanston GC
« on: September 29, 2006, 10:58:00 AM »
Here are some photos of the work which is underway at Evanston GC a 1917 Ross design on 200 acres.  The club has photos of Ross on site supervising construction on display in the clubhouse.  

I believe there was a need to address drainage issues.  Nicklaus Design did some work in 1982.  It appears they are regrassing the entire course and reworking the bunkers.  I think the new bunkers look great.  

I posted the aerials on this course in June if anyone is interested.  The routing looked unchanged from 1939.  The newer aerial however showed a significant reduction in the fairway bunker scheme.  

Tee and Fairway Work in Process #6

Green and Fairway #5

Bunkers Flanking Each Side of par 4 #14

View From Tee of Fairway and Bunkers #16

Greenside Bunker #14??

New tee with Green in Background  Tee #14 Green #13

« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 12:34:54 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Scott Witter

Re:Ross Restoration at Evanston CC
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 11:53:10 AM »
Dan:

Judging from all those colorful rolls of wire shown in the 2nd photo, they are also doing some significant irrigation improvements as well.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 11:57:13 AM »
Dan:
I played at Evansville two weeks ago when I was in town for the Senior Amateur at VNGC.  The USGA Senior Am Committee held their outing there.  By chance I was in the foursome with Ward Peyronnin.
The course was fun and enjoyable and had some very interesting holes.  
Do you know what grass they are using for the re-grassing?
Best
Dave
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 03:45:18 PM by Dave_Miller »

Michael Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 12:18:31 PM »
Dave,
I believe this is Evanston GC, in Skokie, IL (in the north Chicago suburbs).  The course has been closed for the entire summer for the redesign.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 12:19:41 PM by Michael Kennedy »

Dan Moore

Re:Ross Restoration at Evanston GC
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 05:47:05 PM »
Yes, its Evanston GC in Skokie, Illinois.   The photos were taken two days ago.  I've added hole numbers to the photos.  

Here is the 1939 aerial.  The holes pictured are all along the south end on the bottomof the aerial.  Holes 6 and 7 on the bottom left.  Holes 13, 14, 15 and 16 are along the bottom right with 13 running north south at the far right, 14 and 15 from east to west and 16 from west to east.  

The very large fairway bunker in the aerial on 14 does not look like it extends into the fairway the way it does in the aerial but it was hard to tell for sure.  The fairway bunkers on 15 look like they are being put back in.  

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 05:48:08 PM by Dan Moore »
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Paul Richards

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 11:50:45 AM »
Word I've received is that the work Ron Prichard is doing there is amazing.

When Ross designed this course, he built possibly the biggest greens he ever built anywhere - probably because the land has about 6-inches of rise and fall - and they are doing a bang-up job of restoring them.

Can't wait to see it next spring!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Dan Moore

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 12:34:22 PM »
Shivas,

I can't count very well apparently.  Thanks for lettinh me know.  

I fixed the hole numbers in my original post.

Paul,

The greens do look very good.  I'll post some more after the Wisconsin game is over.  From what I could see a lot of fairway grading and strategic fairway bunkering is being added/put back in to add interest given the lack of elevation on the site.  

Michael Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 07:35:20 PM »
What strikes me about the '39 arial is the variety of bunker sizes.  Some tiny, some medium, and some quite large.  Depending on the depth of the small ones, they often make for difficult extraction shots.

I've only played the course once - last year - and recall very little variety in bunker depth/size.  During your recent tour did you notice if this "feature" was being restored?

Dave_Miller

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 03:43:04 PM »
Dave,
I believe this is Evanston GC, in Skokie, IL (in the north Chicago suburbs).  The course has been closed for the entire summer for the redesign.

Mike:
My bad ;D. I only missed by several hundred miles ;)
But Evansville was fun ;D
Dave

Paul Richards

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 09:43:27 PM »
Dan

>I'll post some more after the Wisconsin game is over.  

Looking forward to it.

>From what I could see a lot of fairway grading and strategic fairway bunkering is being added/put back in to add interest given the lack of elevation on the site

This is where Donald Ross's genius is totally in view.  There is no more eleveation change here than at a Wal-Mart parking lot.  Yet Ross made it interesting.  Only, in the '80's, Nicklaus' design team took away most of Ross' strategy in a bad re-do, and overplanting of s*$t trees was also taking place.  

However, I am highly confident that Prichard can overcome both of these deficiencies.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 09:54:12 PM by Paul Richards »
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Dan Moore

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 03:58:59 PM »
As promised here are some more photos.

13th hole fairway and green showing grading work in fairway

13th green

15th view from tee

15 green and fairway

another view of 15 green and fairway

15 greenside bunker

Paul Richards

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 09:31:05 PM »
Dan

Thanks for the pics.  The greens and bunkers look great.  

Only thing that looks 'wrong' with these pictures is that we should be viewing a bunch of chainsaws roaring in the background.........
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 10:21:16 PM by Paul Richards »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back