News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SPDB

Re:American Clubhouses--Part 3--Final Set
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2006, 09:37:43 AM »

#9's got me stumped with that one hill off in the distance...is this a Travis course?

Thomas. And those are some pretty famous hill(s).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 09:41:04 AM by SPDB »

David Stamm

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2006, 10:36:22 AM »
#13 is Oakmont, #3 is Pinehurst, and I think #9 is Bel Air?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2006, 11:04:15 AM »
In general, these were probably the more quickly recognizable.  They are, as follows:

#1--Another shot of the Valley Club of Montecito, indeed from the 15th fairway...

#2--The view of the Riviera clubhouse from the first fairway.  Didn't Tiger's first-ever pro tourney tee shot go OB left on this hole?

#3--Pinehurst, from (more or less) the walk over to the first tee on the #3 course.  The infamous Putterboy statue is in the corner--much smaller than I expected...

#4--The Olympic Club, from the 8th hole.  Good thing you can't see any of the swimmers in the indoor pool from here--do you O-Club folks regularly use that pool?  It's pretty impressive...

#5--Medinah, of course

#6--I don't have really good pix of any of the Bandon clubhouses.  I took this pic in Nov 2000; I wish I had panned a bit left so that it would show the lack of the new pro shop, McKee's pub, etc. that are there now...

#7--Aronimink

#8--Baltusrol, from the walk up from the 18th holes on both courses.  The more prototypical shot is from the region of #4 green on the Lower...

#9--Los Angeles CC; I should have shown the phenomenal rose gardens in front...

#10--Piping Rock Club, from front right of the 18th green

#11--The "pro shop" building of Crystal Downs, from the 9th tee...

#12--the Clubhouse of Oakland Hills, and the first tee of the South course, from over by the caddy shack

#13--the entrance to the Men's Locker Room area at Oakmont, from in front of the pro shop and behind the 18th green

Hope you enjoyed...

Aaron Katz

Re:American Clubhouses--Part 3--Final Set (w/ answers)
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2006, 11:05:41 AM »
#2 is Pine Hills, right? :)

Mike Benham

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2006, 11:29:50 AM »
Man, I need some more coffee!  I almost HIT #4 earlier this year, yet I drew a blank looking at the picture.  How pathetic is that? ::)

Hit what, the tree or the clubhouse?  If it was the clubhouse, I really want to hear how, and was there alcohol involved?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Doug Ralston

Re:American Clubhouses--Part 3--Final Set (w/ answers)
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2006, 11:58:23 AM »
Tom Doak;

I admit I am not 'into' clubhouses, being a play & go sort. But I have occasionally seen an attractive one.

Your comment about the 'doublewide trailer' at PD brought a smile to me. You see, I have been talking up Kentucky's new 'Signature Series' courses, part of the State Park system. Beautiful courses in obscure areas. One common ground is there 'clubhouses'. Yes, that's right, doublewide trailers! The State committed from the beginning to make the courses their 'first' priority. And I do mean 1st, they are only now, with the entire 'Series' in fantastic condition, beginning to add real clubhouses. Needless to say, I heartily approve their priorities.

By thee by, here is a few pix from a fairly mediocre course near Louisville, Kentucky. But the last picture is of a clubhouse that is rather unique. Hope they do not let this on go to pot.

http://www.golfkentuckylinks.com/Pages/Photo%20Pages/Weissinger%20Hills%20Photo.html

Sorry, still haven't learned to post pix directly, or I would show you a full screen version from the fantastic GKL screensaver. Really cool.

Doug

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back