News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

George, Alex and Robert Law
« on: January 17, 2011, 11:12:25 AM »
I have been in contact with Richard Stansfield, Secretary of the Pendle Forest History Group. He has sent me the following.Can any of you add to his knowledge of this golfing family:

'My Grandfather, George Law, was a golf professional, having been born in St Andrews, Scotland. His first position was at Cruden Bay, before he went to St Augustines, Ramsgate. From there he went to Burbage and began in March 1911 when he earned £1 a week.  During the Great War, George together with the entire Burbage Band (of which he was librarian), enlisted in 1915.
George was held in sufficiently high regard to have been captain of the Derbyshire professionals in 1924, George keenly sought the professional's post at the newly constructed Cavendish.  As part of the transfer 'package' offered to the Burbage club by the estate, his application was to receive favourable consideration, which it did.  Unable to agree upon working conditions, however, he turned down the job which went instead to Tom Barber. George then moved to Surfleet nr Spalding, Lincolnshire, having been at Buxton for 17 years. I am still in possession of a number of clubs made by George with his signature on the head, including a rather nice Sunday stick made for my grandmother.

If there is any other information you have on him, or his brothers, Alexander Inglis Law, and Robert Fernie Law, both of whom emigrated to The US in about 1921, where Alex was pro at Elmhurst Country Club, Nr Chicago now believed to be known as River Forest Country Club. Robert was known to a pro at Indian Hill Club at Winnetka, Illinois.

I also have an uncle, also called Robert Law, who was a member of the English national Team in 1938 and '39. If this could be a source of any firther investigations you may be making, please conatct me.'

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: George, Alex and Robert Law
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 12:13:52 PM »
I'm bumping this up because Richard Stansfield died in April. I have been asked by his widow to see if we can learn anything more about the Laws. As you can see there are Scottish and American connections.

I should be grateful for any help you may be able to give.

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 01:07:41 PM »
Mark:

Sorry I don't know anything about Alex or Robert.

You may have something that proves me otherwise, but I'm not sure that River Forest used to be Elmhurst CC. In fact I think today it's a muni course called Oak Meadows: http://dupagegolf.com/golf/proto/dupagegolf/course/course.htm

Elmhurst CC hosted a Chicago Open back in the 1940's won by Ben Hogan.

What do you want to know about Indian Hill?
H.P.S.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 01:48:37 PM »
Pat, Thank you for correction over Elmhurst. Indian Hill is because Robert Law was there and Richard's widow is trying to learn more about her late husband's family.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 02:20:03 PM »
Mark – Greetings from Arizona. Did you ever collect anything more on the old Elmhurst? The reason I ask is that we are working with Greg Martin on restoration/remodel work there. I would be grateful to hear from you. And, I am happy to exchange materials. I would be interested in any photos that may have cropped up from Alex's time as pro there. Regards.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 11:02:44 AM »
Forrest,

I haven't learned anything more than is in this thread, so anything you find will be a bonus. I'll dig out his widow's contact details and put you both in touch with each other.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 10:27:28 PM »
Very kind. Thanks. What we learned today is that the present location (now known as OAK MEADOWS) was a C.D. Wagstaff layout from, what we believe, wa the 1920s. Prior to this, the Bendelow design (c. 1912 to 1920s) was likely at another location — actually in Elmhurst. The present course by Wagstaff is not in Elmhurst proper, even though it was knows as Elmhurst CC. There is no indication that the present layout was ever Bendelow as the Wagstaff plan is indicative of a fresn, new layout with no underlying holes are existing areas. I am checking to see if there is any record of Law. As you may know, the old clubhouse burned down about 5 years ago, so very little remains.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back