News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Silver Creek valley ( M. Strantz) c. S. Jose
« on: September 11, 2006, 07:22:19 PM »
Im grateful  to Evan Green  for telling me of this 2003 course,
which is well covered on  the Maverick/ Strantz website. the course, near san jose, looks to have some arresting green complexes.  Has anyone played here ? thanks

Jay Flemma

Re:Silver Creek valley ( M. Strantz) c. S. Jose
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 07:46:24 PM »
I forget off the top of my head who did the original, but it's a redesign...it might say on Mike's website...anyway, you'll have a really fun time there...its a very nice place with really nice members and a a great brunch.

Evan_Green

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 09:05:15 PM »
I forget off the top of my head who did the original, but it's a redesign...it might say on Mike's website...anyway, you'll have a really fun time there...its a very nice place with really nice members and a a great brunch.

Jay-
Ted Robinson did the original design

Anyone who hasn't seen these before and after pictures of Silver Creek Valley would find this link interesting:

http://www.mikestrantzdesign.com/scvphoto1.html
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 09:08:27 PM by Evan_Green »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 10:33:30 AM »
Silver Creek Valley is a weird course, lots of elevation change, very difficult walk, winding in and out of dot.com mansions in southeast San Jose.

It's a decent course and really no great shakes.  The Strantz changes were interesting, but even he couldn't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Scott Burroughs played it fairly recently, maybe he will comment.

TH
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 10:33:54 AM by Tom Huckaby »

John Keenan

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 10:43:13 AM »
Tom

Does the course have 2 18th holes? I seem to rememeber something like that at Silver Creek.

John
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 10:45:22 AM »
Tom

Does the course have 2 18th holes? I seem to rememeber something like that at Silver Creek.

John

It's one hole, but can play VERY differently from two separate tee areas.  The normal one is a par 4, dl left around a hill, lake on the left. They also have a tee on a hill so that you can play over the lake and play it as a par three.  Or at least that's my recollection... it's been a couple years since I've been there.

TH

Evan_Green

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 10:47:33 AM »
John

The 18th hole is a par 4. The green is next to a lake which is left and short of the green.

The "19th" hole is a par 3 which shoots from the left of the 18th fairway atop the waterfall you can see if you look at pictures of the 18th. The hole shoots over the lake to that very same green used by the 18th. One or the other is used.

Sean

I'll try to answer later - I'm a bit pressed for time right now...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 10:48:43 AM by Evan_Green »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 10:49:24 AM »
Cool -  my memory was correct - doesn't happen much lately.

;D

Tim Pitner

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 10:50:47 AM »
Mark,

I think Tom H has it right.  A friend of mine is a member there and I played it a couple of years ago.  We walked, although we were a distinct minority.  The course is built into the side of a hill and, while it's not real severe, some of the holes are a little gimmicky as a result.  I've seen the before and after photos and Strantz's work was a definite improvement.  It's worth playing, but doesn't make that much of an impression.  

John K,

Yes, they do have a par 3 that plays as an alternate 18th or 19th hole.  

Neal_Meagher

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 12:55:16 PM »
Interestingly, as I understand it, Strantz's work was on the bunkers, tees and some fairway work but all of the original 1992 Robinson greens were left intact.

In most instances the original bunkering was some distance away from the greens and that was changed by the renovation work as was the obvious introduction of a more "Strantzian" look.
The purpose of art is to delight us; certain men and women (no smarter than you or I) whose art can delight us have been given dispensation from going out and fetching water and carrying wood. It's no more elaborate than that. - David Mamet

www.nealmeaghergolf.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back